Question About Googles Music Beta Service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Could someone please tell me where Google is getting their music library from if not licensing it from the record labels? If they are allowing the end user to upload their tracks, are they just using people to get content and then streaming those tracks? I am very confused as to how this is legal from Googles stand point.

I posted this question over at 9 to 5 Mac but never got a response. I'm not interested in using the service, just wondering how it works. I mean I understand how Amazon would try to get away with it since they already had an online music store but Google did not...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Does anyone know the answer to this?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I don't believe it can be used to sell you new music at this point. It's simply for managing music that you already own. . .

I think
  • Reply 3 of 8
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't believe it can be used to sell you new music at this point. It's simply for managing music that you already own. . .

I think

So how is this legal if the music sits on Googles server and they have not been given permission to do so from the labels? Sure it's your music but then Google grows an extensive collection of music, for free.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    The Google Music Beta, yes, you need to be invited, is simply a cloud storage locker for your music. You upload your music, Google will have apps (be it web app or native) that'll play for your music.

Google isn't selling any music yet. It's just hard drive space in the "cloud" for your music plus a player. For Apple folks who presumably have iPods, iPhones or iPads, it's not much of deal unless you have over 32 GB of music or so.

I'm sure eventually it'll include other media as well.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

The Google Music Beta, yes, you need to be invited, is simply a cloud storage locker for your music. You upload your music, Google will have apps (be it web app or native) that'll play for your music.

Google isn't selling any music yet. It's just hard drive space in the "cloud" for your music plus a player. For Apple folks who presumably have iPods, iPhones or iPads, it's not much of deal unless you have over 32 GB of music or so.

I'm sure eventually it'll include other media as well.

I.o.w.: you upload all your music to Google's cloud – so, yes, they get a shitload of music from millions of users, for free, on their servers – and from then on Google controls your access to your own music... they can cut you off of your own music whenever it pleases them. Or they can charge you X per megabyte to listen to your own music... And if that is where you keep your music you will have to pay!

The 'cloud' – when controlled by third parties – is the worst idea I've heard in years. It's pure Faust. You're signing a pact with the devil...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Which "cloud service" do you have control over Partimer? Anytime you entrust your belongings to someone else, be it your money, your home or simply your music, you do so with faith that it will be kept safe and available.

I have no idea what you mean by "when controlled by third parties". My first thought is you realized that Apple is about to roll out their own cloud service and wanted to imply that uploading personal possessions to an Apple server was different than uploading to one owned by Amazon or Google or Microsoft. Is that an accurate understanding of what you meant?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I have no idea what you mean by "when controlled by third parties".

I mean when not controlled by you!

Quote:

My first thought is you realized that Apple is about to roll out their own cloud service and wanted to imply that uploading personal possessions to an Apple server was different than uploading to one owned by Amazon or Google or Microsoft. Is that an accurate understanding of what you meant?

No. Any third party that controls your access to your own data is bad news.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks Partimer. I misunderstood what you were trying to say.