As Apple stores celebrate 10 years, some employees look to unionize

Comments

• Reply 21 of 179
    quasimogquasimog Posts: 8member
    I lean left on most social issues, but I think unions are horrible.
  • Reply 22 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

aGREED 100% FIRE THOSE BASTARDS and take away the FREE IPHONES and IPADS they got when these things came out and EVERY APPLE WORKER got one for FREE...

Obviously you don't realize that Apple doesn't make a habit of giving things away for free. Apple employees don't get free iPhones and iPads. In fact, they don't even receive a discount on those products.

The last time anything like that happened was the original iPhone. And 90+% of the people that work at Apple Retail didn't work there when that happened. The iPhone is what cause Apple Retail to grow so large.
  • Reply 23 of 179
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

As a teacher, I couldn't agree more. Unions help unions, not workers. I can't think of a time a union actually helped a teacher keep his job in a way that they still wanted to work there afterwards. Unions just delay the inevitable and fuel the entire process with money. In this case, it would be coming out of Apple's deep pockets, in my case, it's the tax payer's dollars.

Pervert, pedophile teacher molests sixth grade student. 13 years later, the teacher can't be fired and continues to receive full salary.

Pierre was permanently removed from the classroom in 1997 after he was accused of sexually molesting a sixth-grade girl at PS 138 in Brooklyn.

But since then, Pierre has continued to receive full pay and fringe benefits, including health, pension and vacation, officials said. He pulls down $97,101 a year.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...5idPYynCnVJHyO
  • Reply 24 of 179
    iplaidiplaid Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

If you don't realize you are going to work your ass off for a company like that, you don't deserve to work there.

This!
  • Reply 25 of 179
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

aGREED 100% FIRE THOSE BASTARDS and take away the FREE IPHONES and IPADS they got when these things came out and EVERY APPLE WORKER got one for FREE...

WTF???? I would LOVE TO WORK AT THE APPLE STORE ... friggin MORONS!!

I bet my yearly salary (although it wouldn't be much since i'm not working) that these are Micro$H!t ex-employees and self HATING ex-MS windoze users who lost their jobs and now are at the APPLE store .. go work at walmart

You mad bro?
  • Reply 26 of 179
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

---

Turnover in Apple Retail employees is enough to show that there's a serious problem.

---

Also enough to show there's a serious solution.

Turnover is an employer's problem. The employee has solved his own.
  • Reply 27 of 179
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:

If you work or have worked for Apple Retail, speak up. If not, stfu.

I worked Apple retail and I hope their employees unionize.

Have you ever seen how full those stores get? Do you know what contradictory BS we go through to keep our jobs? Do you know how little they are paid and how many hours they get?

Apple Retail is like high school: it's full of cliques. If you don't constantly improve your metrics, you get warnings. If you spend more than the allotted time with a client, you get warnings. If you don't sell MobileMe and Applecare, you get warnings. All that for typical retail wages with no commission or bonuses and almost zero opportunity to advance: Apple's policy is never to promote from within.

Turnover in Apple Retail employees is enough to show that there's a serious problem. And as for the facebook page and Twitter account, any Apple employee caught saying anything about the company online is fired without warning.

Granted, this is the internet, and you are anonymous. I have idea if you're telling the truth, nor can I prove whether or not I've ever worked at such a place.

I do know this - you are paid what you are worth. Period. No matter where you work who who you work for, you are only worth what someone is willing to pay you. If you feel like you can make more working somewhere else, by all means, find another opportunity. That's what I've done, and its worked out great for me.
  • Reply 28 of 179
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I'm a liberal and I hate unions as much as many conservatives do.
  • Reply 29 of 179
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Trade/Labor unions, like affirmative action and other such policies/groups have been brought about for positive reasons but are ultimately narrow in scope and tend to have an adverse affect if left to linger.

For these Apple employees there is plenty of labor laws in effect. If they don’t like those laws they need to think beyond their current position and think about changing those laws for their state.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

First and last post on this ignorant thread.

Are you sure about that?
  • Reply 30 of 179
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quasimog View Post

I lean left on most social issues, but I think unions are horrible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm a liberal and I hate unions as much as many conservatives do.

It's not even a political issue, frankly. Its an issue of practicality. Unionizing these days doesn't guarantee anything. Its much like class-action lawsuits - the actual victims benefit very little from them, while the attorneys involved make millions and reap most of the benefits.
  • Reply 31 of 179
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

It's not even a political issue, frankly. Its an issue of practicality. Unionizing these days doesn't guarantee anything. Its much like class-action lawsuits - the actual victims benefit very little from them, while the attorneys involved make millions and reap most of the benefits.

If I was compromising, I think they should have unions only for government jobs but IMO Unions have no place in the free market at all because they are not a free market force.
  • Reply 32 of 179
    techfantechfan Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

If I was compromising, I think they should have unions only for government jobs but IMO Unions have no place in the free market at all because they are not a free market force.

I'm federal civil service and do not want a union. Thanks.
  • Reply 33 of 179
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Wow, the kneejerk, ignorant responses in this thread are astounding.

Apparently everyone else commenting here lives in a country where companies do no wrong, where workers are never, ever subject to the whims of bosses who may not have much regard for safety or well-being, and where a single employee has the power and leverage to hold management accountable all by himself!

I'm not saying that Apple Stores are ripe for unionization - I worked at one for awhile and my managers were just fine, the working conditions were good, and I generally had no complaints.

But unions aren't just about those things. They're ultimately about making sure that workers are on a somewhat level playing field with management and ownership. They ensure that what workers lack in wealth is made up by their sheer numbers. Otherwise, they become completely exploitable and expendable. Not all companies would do those things, but it's best for everyone if the possibility is as remote as possible.

Yes, unions can sometimes be corrupt or overreach. Just like government. Just like corporations. But no one talks about abolishing them. No, the only institution people want to abolish is the one that dare represent people who otherwise lack in money and power. How completely upside-down is that?

I think there are plenty of arguments to be made for reform of unions and greater transparency in their dealings. But to attack the very concept, to say that workers shouldn't be allowed to unite and fight for their common interests strikes me as cold, heartless and, yes, un-American.

And, by the way, unions help the economy by making sure that wages in middle class jobs are fair and reasonable. I don't think this would make much difference in a retail setting, but it makes a huge difference in others. Look at construction: In states with low unionization, construction jobs basically pay minimum wage. This is a job that is inherently dangerous and taxing on the body (and in many parts of the U.S., only provides work for 9 months of the year), but in states that afford workers little power, those on top have managed to suppress wage growth. That's not necessarily wrong by itself, but with no force to counter it, it becomes economic injustice.

Wealth disparity on the U.S. is on the rise, yet so many think it's fine that literally the only institution that advocates on behalf of the economic interests of working class and middle class people should just go away. It's very sad.
  • Reply 34 of 179
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dziggyii View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no law saying you have to work there. Just quit if you don't like the working conditions!!

There's also no law that says they can't form a union if they choose to.
  • Reply 35 of 179
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I think plenty of police officers, firefighters and other service men and women would politely disagree with you . As I said, its more the exception than the rule, but there are decent, legitimate unions out there that work hard to protect its members. Don't count them all out.

100% right. Unfortunately though, for all the great unions out there who work to get their members a fair shake are bads ones out there who either don't get economics and are trying to get top dollar for less productivity or ones that are just corrupt and use the membership for the ambitions of the leadership.

I do have to wonder though, what's the goal here for these employees? Retail is generally low rate shorter term employment for younger individuals.
  • Reply 36 of 179
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Unions are disgusting and they should be abolished and made illegal.

No they're not, in many ways Unions provide a better product and service, while at the same time improves employee loyalty ( exception the U.S. auto industry ). A good example is the U.S. Walmart versus the Union German Walmart which offers the same products with much higher employee and customer satisfaction.

In the U.S. the labor union brought us the two day weekend.
  • Reply 37 of 179
    shippstershippster Posts: 16member
    Quote:

If you work or have worked for Apple Retail, speak up. If not, stfu.

I worked Apple retail and I hope their employees unionize.

Have you ever seen how full those stores get? Do you know what contradictory BS we go through to keep our jobs? Do you know how little they are paid and how many hours they get?

Apple Retail is like high school: it's full of cliques. If you don't constantly improve your metrics, you get warnings. If you spend more than the allotted time with a client, you get warnings. If you don't sell MobileMe and Applecare, you get warnings. All that for typical retail wages with no commission or bonuses and almost zero opportunity to advance: Apple's policy is never to promote from within.

Turnover in Apple Retail employees is enough to show that there's a serious problem. And as for the facebook page and Twitter account, any Apple employee caught saying anything about the company online is fired without warning.

Not my experience at all. I worked at Apple 5 years as a part timer, having left in November because of my 2nd job requiring more from me. I worked 20-30 hours a week and thought the pay was pretty good for a retail job. I ended up making $15 an hour after the several raises I had (though you didn't hear that from me).

I NEVER saw anyone get fired for performance, never saw anyone bullied over metrics. It was sensitive people who took it that way, but what really happened was a manager would show a report showing your performance and you talk about ways to improve. If they don't improve they have you shadow someone who is doing it well or something like that. I am a really crappy salesman that just believed in Apple stuff and I almost always met my metrics as a result. I would sometimes spend 2 hours with someone and never had anyone tell me to wrap it up.

It was easy to move up into different roles, although you might need to change stores sometimes. Where I might agree with you is that I did not see alot of management coming from internals, but I saw 2 people move up into an assistant management position.

The people that left the 2 stores I worked at almost always fit into one of 3 categories: theft, attendance problems, or they were getting more hours/had an opportunity to advance at their other job.

I was not part of any clicks, but got along with everyone; loved the fringe benefits, like software from 3rd parties and internal parties.

Either your store was way different than the 2 I worked at or you were just one of the couple of people who no one can please and will find fault everywhere.
  • Reply 38 of 179
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

There's also no law that says they can't form a union if they choose to.

And if they choose to unionize what would be their bargaining power? If let's say all retail employees for major department stores belonged to the same union, they might have some leverage since if one store was picketed the union could cause all other stores to also go on strike, but short of that kind of coordinated walk out, the Apple retail employees would have virtually no bargaining power whatsoever.
  • Reply 39 of 179
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Yes, unions can sometimes be corrupt or overreach. Just like government. Just like corporations. But no one talks about abolishing them. No, the only institution people want to abolish is the one that dare represent people who otherwise lack in money and power. How completely upside-down is that?

Well done!
  • Reply 40 of 179
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

/signed

We do not need Unions to drag down Apple like they did to the American auto industry and California's budget.

Interesting that only the US economy has been dragged down by unions...doesn't seem to be a big problem in Europe.