Verizon says it will get Apple's 'iPhone 5' at same time as AT&T

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon on Thursday said it will institute capped data plans for customers this summer much like its rival AT&T did last year, and also that it will receive Apple's fifth-generation iPhone at the same time as its competition.

Speaking with Reuters at the Global Technology Summit, Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo said his company will offer the next iPhone at the same time as AT&T. He also said the device will work in "as many countries as AT&T's iPhone," suggesting the next-generation handset will, as rumored, be a world phone with both GSM and CDMA connectivity.

It was also Shammo who previously said in April that the next iPhone would include both GSM and CDMA integrated radios. Verizon's network relies on CDMA technology, while AT&T is based on the globally more common GSM standard.

Since Apple's partnership with Verizon was announced earlier this year, Shammo has been the source of a few Apple-related details. In January, he revealed that the iPad 2, before it was announced, would have a separate model with an integrated CDMA radio for compatibility with Verizon's network.

Shammo also said his company has been pleased with initial sales of the iPhone 4, and spoke about the possibility of a 4G long-term evolution capable iPhone in the fifth-generation hardware version. He suggested the company is not concerned about whether the so-called "iPhone 5" will support LTE.

"I think it's a bigger issue for Apple than it is for us," he reportedly said. "Depending on where Apple plays, that's where we'll sell."

Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo

Finally, Shammo also reiterated the fact that his company plans to cease offering unlimited data plans for users of smartphones like the iPhone this summer. Those pricing changes are set to take place this summer, and will eliminate the current unlimited offerings with a tiered pricing structure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    +1

It'd be nice if the iPhone went to other carriers as well so they would battle over lower costs on plans. I feel like paying an additional $50 for unlimited texting and internet on top of the plan with the minimum amount of minutes is a little bit much.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    So... Sometime in 2012?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I'm glad to see unlimited plans go because they never existed in the first place, so someone was always going to get shafted or disappointed or whatever.

Unfortunately, there seems to be so much passive collusion between the carriers, in terms of avoiding a price war, that they will just take the opportunity to overprice for tiered plans.

I would like to see content-agnostic, fine-grained pay per packet - say per megabyte.. I have no issues with carriers making a profit, but I want to pay for the proportion that I use and not be pushed into a plan in which I have to pay for things I don't use then get over-billed for going slightly over for the things I do.

Then, if someone really wants to stream a movie over a mobile network then they can pay for that all fair and square.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    So, the next Verizon iPhone still won't be able to multitask (voice/data). Not a very "smart" smartphone.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    I've said it before here...I hope Sprint gets the iPhone and offers their unlimited plan at $79. I will sell my iP4 and pay ATT's cancellation fee just to be rid of ATT.

I would never go to Verizon, either! This $120/mo is killing me!
  • Reply 6 of 25
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I've said it before here...I hope Sprint gets the iPhone and offers their unlimited plan at $79. I will sell my iP4 and pay ATT's cancellation fee just to be rid of ATT.

I love my iPhone 3GS, but I am tired of AT&T. I had to fight to get my "unlimited" plan back after they told me it wasn't possible. RIIIGHT. Buy a 2G iPhone and AT&T must give you an unlimited plan since that is the only plan on the 2G iPhone...then just move to a newer phone. Poof! Instant unlimited plan on the 3GS. But I digress.

I think I am ready to move back to Sprint. After 2 years with AT&T I have had it with their spotty coverage...and I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area - their home office!!!! I will just sell my iPhone 3GS and just get an iPod Touch for my apps and facetime/skype. The smartphone rat race is just getting old.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I love my iPhone 3GS, but I am tired of AT&T. I had to fight to get my "unlimited" plan back after they told me it wasn't possible. RIIIGHT. Buy a 2G iPhone and AT&T must give you an unlimited plan since that is the only plan on the 2G iPhone...then just move to a newer phone. Poof! Instant unlimited plan on the 3GS. But I digress.

I think I am ready to move back to Sprint. After 2 years with AT&T I have had it with their spotty coverage...and I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area - their home office!!!! I will just sell my iPhone 3GS and just get an iPod Touch for my apps and facetime/skype. The smartphone rat race is just getting old.

I understand Lamewing. I thought of getting the Touch or just a dumb phone with a wifi iPad2. But then I'm carrying 2 things around.

I have a lot invested in my iP4. As a Real Estate Agent, I upgraded my 3Gs for the flash and better camera (40% more bat. life) on the iP4 and bought the Tom-Tom GPS App ($40) and now my eKey (the key to open lockboxes), plus the built in video camera are all on my iP4 which is great! I don't have to remember/forget, charge, update (no ugly pwr bricks/cables) for 4-6 electronic pieces of equipment. I.e., Stand alone GPS unit, Camera, Video camera, iPod, eKey. Plus i can text on the iP4.

I just hate the $120 to ATT. It's like I'm in parallel dimensions, the bills come around blazingly fast but the income checks are few and far btwn! Ugh!

PS. The iP4 has enabled me to stop carrying my MB for about 95% of the time, too!

Best
  • Reply 8 of 25
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

So, the next Verizon iPhone still won't be able to multitask (voice/data). Not a very "smart" smartphone.

True.... but that's due to a limitation in the network itself... and it's been like that since... forever.

Still though... where I live... most of the business phones I see are through Verizon.

I guess that says something about the network strength itself. You can't do both voice and data at the same time... but when you need to do either... Verizon's got you covered.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    And when it happens I will be glad to move to AT&T where the rest of my family, friends and colleagues currently reside. I'm still waiting for the 4th generation of iPhone to be over, but for now I'll focus on the iPad family.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

So... Sometime in 2012?

The fifth generation iPhone is supposedly going to be released in September of this year, according to many rumors on the Internet.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Can a GSM phone work on an LTE network? I know it works the other way around, an LTE phone will work on a GSM network. But if the next iPhone has both CDMA and GSM, couldn't the Verizon phone use it's GSM radio on Verizon's LTE network? Or does it not work that way? Then use the CDMA radio when LTE isn't available. That would solve the simultaneous voice/data issue and also give better overall coverage in the US than ATT can provide.

Then again, give me a Verizon iPhone with their CDMA and an unlocked GSM component and I'd be a happy camper when travelling overseas. I know, never going to happen.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Nah, the point here is that the upcoming iPhone won't have an LTE chip: the handset won't have access to any LTE network from AT&T, Verizon, whatever LTE carrier (it has been deployed in a few countries).
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

So... Sometime in 2012?

Likely September, 2011
  • Reply 14 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

FierceTelecom is rumoring that CenturyTel is looking to buy out Sprint. They just merged with Qwest.

You really want to put your money into that mess?

I'm stuck with Qwest for ADSL because I can't get Verizon FiOS and I won't touch Comcast.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    I read an article awhile back mentioning a new chip capable of simultaneous voice/data over a CDMA network. I think they called it SV-DO. Can they not implement this in the next gen iPhone, or would that just not work with the world mode chip their adding?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    It's good to hear that we'll be getting a simultaneous launch. I just hope we won't have to wait a year for the white iPhone 5.

PS, is it me or does Shammo have eyes like an Anime character?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    daffyducdaffyduc Posts: 26member
    Every stinking wireless carriers promoted unlimited this n that but after they finally get an iPhone, it's cap this n that. Sprint gonna be next!
  • Reply 18 of 25
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkstar2007 View Post

I read an article awhile back mentioning a new chip capable of simultaneous voice/data over a CDMA network. I think they called it SV-DO. Can they not implement this in the next gen iPhone, or would that just not work with the world mode chip their adding?

It would also require some upgrades to the network itself. Supposedly it's a relatively minor upgrade, but would Verizon invest any money in upgrading it's CDMA network?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    OMG. Fran Shammo's yearbook photo.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

So... Sometime in 2012?

Your posts lack a certain impact without your usual photos.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The fifth generation iPhone is supposedly going to be released in September of this year, according to many rumors on the Internet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizardhowson View Post

Likely September, 2011

Don't waste your time explaining anything to him.