Explosion kills 2 at iPad manufacturing plant of Apple partner Foxconn

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Z57 View Post

I believe it's called being sarcastic, or even facetious...

It's one thing to troll for (badly needed) attention. It's another thing completely when people are losing their lives in a highly unfortunate incident and to make flippant jokes about the situation...
  • Reply 22 of 90
    captmarkcaptmark Posts: 41member
    And I was hoping to be able to get a ipod2 some time this year!!
  • Reply 23 of 90
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member
    It's too bad about the deaths, but less than a week after the Challenger disaster and the Columbia too the jokes were flying. It's just our way of dealing sometimes. Give them a break for once.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Same thing has been known to happen in grain silos in the Midwest US. There are many such hazardous environments in an industrial facility. The key is to try to prevent any ignition source. Dust in and of itself is not necessarily an indication of any improper manufacturing methods.

True, but uncontained dust is a problem.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    And the jokers here are dealing with what? Their overwhelming sense of loss? Jokes at the first mention of disaster simply means to me that the person has no empathy, only the self is important. If it's so important to be the funny guy in the room, there's lots of things to make jokes about rather than someone else's grief.

Just more enabling by anonymity. That's all I'll have to say about it.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

True, but uncontained dust is a problem.

Sure but there are practical limits to achieving an acceptable solution. You can realistically provide a 90% safety solution but as you approach a theoretical 100% safety, the cost goes off the charts.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Two dead? Many more injured?

Camel time. Marlboro moment.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Derp derp derp derp derp derp derp! For more, see above... and probably below.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    A sad accident no doubt, but great advances come with great sacrifices sometimes. Tens of thousands of people died building the Panama Canal, just as an example. To put it in perspective, a few people having died working on a revolutionary device such as the iPad is a small price to pay for such a breakthrough technological product. There are dangers in any business and Foxconn is a huge place. I'm sure that they'll look into what happened so that the chances of something similar happening will be minimized in the future. The show must go on and neither rain, sleet, snow, suicide or accidental death will change that.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Ag, this is sad. Poor people.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Totally inappropriate comment considering the loss of life. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If enough of us report the post as disruptive and vile maybe the management will ban him for good. This individual joined only a couple of months ago so he could be the sock puppet of a previously banned loser.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

If enough of us report the post as disruptive and vile maybe the management will ban him for good. This individual joined only a couple of months ago so he could be the sock puppet of a previously banned loser.

I've been out of the loop, but if he's another sock puppet then I can nuke the account.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've been out of the loop, but if he's another sock puppet then I can nuke the account.

If Steve Jobs suddenly departs this earth I hope you will be ready for the onslaught of guys like this.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

(edit: please don't feed the troll)

Quote:

Seriously dude? People die and are critically injured, that is some funny stuff...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Totally inappropriate comment considering the loss of life. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Let me get this straight. You people do NOTHING but try to inflame each other into one senseless bicker session after another. Take that incredibly stupid union thread from yesterday.

And I am a what? A troll? What the hell does that even mean??

Babies. All of you. Nothing but little babies.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If you cared about the people, you wouldn't buy the products to being with. China has deplorable working conditions. Humans are treated worse then dirt. The slightly cheaper price you pay comes at the cost of others misery.

Quote:

Seriously dude? People die and are critically injured, that is some funny stuff...

• Reply 36 of 90
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

Let me get this straight... blah blah blah

Babies. All of you. Nothing but little babies.

a baby is someone who goes to an apple oriented board and says stupid shit to an audience that will not be able to help themselves in replying to your idiocy you somehow believe is intelligent thought.

Then you attain super baby status with your mock poutrage over your dumb ass post getting deleted.

why not go somewhere on the internet where you can fit in?
  • Reply 37 of 90
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That's pretty sad. Where I live people die in mining accidents every year. Also construction, usually there is at least one person dies while building a big skyscraper. Electronics manufacture you would think would be safer but not perfectly safe. I hope the company gives their families some kind of payment (obviously that won't replace the loved one but may ease other stresses during a time of loss).
  • Reply 38 of 90
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

Then please explain why you felt compelled to state the following, and I quote:

I found an article in 15 seconds, so there is no lack of information out there.

I think we're all a tad confused about your motivations for making this statement.

Really? you found an article about Foxconn that specifically lists the other companies besides Apple, that Foxconn contracts for. "An" article? You show me that article; I'll show you 1000 that portray foxconn as being virtually a "branch" of Apple Inc., with Apple being (indirectly) responsible for suicides, slave labor, and squalid conditions. (and just give it a couple days, They'll be "responsible" for this tragedy as well)

I'll make it simple for you: forget your "google machine" just do a search for "foxconn" on this website we're on; or MacDaily news, 9to5, MacNN; Hell, just search Macsurfer.com. Search Bloomberg, CNN, BBC, CBS.

And then show me how many articles on Foxconn start or include something akin to:

"in todays news: Foxconn; contract manufacturer for Dell, Sony, Nokia, and Apple, among others... blah blah."

I'll wait your 15 seconds.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A sad accident no doubt, but great advances come with great sacrifices sometimes. Tens of thousands of people died building the Panama Canal, just as an example. To put it in perspective, a few people having died working on a revolutionary device such as the iPad is a small price to pay for such a breakthrough technological product. There are dangers in any business and Foxconn is a huge place. I'm sure that they'll look into what happened so that the chances of something similar happening will be minimized in the future. The show must go on and neither rain, sleet, snow, suicide or accidental death will change that.

I must say in my opinion if as little as 1 life is lost, that is way to much of a price to pay, just so we can play with are new shiny little toys, but I understand thing like this happen and there is notting we can do, but feel sorry for their families and the loss of life. Sad Very Sad.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Foxconn's assembly factories in China have been the subject of much criticism, and Apple was even forced to make a public statement last year after a number of suicides occurred at the main Foxconn plant in Shenzhen, China.

Lazyass journalism. Ever consider comparing the suicide rate as reported at Foxconn to the state you live in?

Because I live in one of many states with a suicide rate higher than any of the Foxconn "towns".

Ignorance is no excuse.