Apple's 'Retail 2.0' overhaul launches first in Australia

Comments

• Reply 41 of 158
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My thoughts on this are that is is brilliant for a few reasons. First, it could reduces the need for as many staff. Next, everyone will be trying out an iPad even if shopping for a MacBook Pro or an iPod Nano and lastly maybe Apple are demonstrating yet another use of an iPad.

It also lets them change prices instantly (should that never ever arise) because those little cardboard price things next to the products are now (presumably) gone.
  • Reply 42 of 158
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Nice glossy screens on those iPads - I assume they'll let you move them around so you can read them.

They are set at an angle. Also people have these things called "necks" that allow the visual apparatus to be oriented at various angles in order to defeat glare.
  • Reply 43 of 158
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's the deal -- any retail store can have an interactive spokesman (low key salesman) at every retail station for $500/per... Total. No breaks, no OT, no raises, no healthcare/benes...

In a way, it's sad... But that's progress!

...you damn well better believe that there's an app for that!

Yeah in 2020 it will be the iPad Slave Uprising...! Scifi was wrong about Androids doing all the work.
  • Reply 44 of 158
    Quote:

P.S. Sorry off topic mods ... but I have to share ... I am typing this on my MacBook Pro i7 which is on my lap ... it isn't cooking my legs! In fact it is cool the read out is only 35*C! I installed smcFanControl (Google it) and simply set minimum fan speed to 5000 on both fans and have had a lovely cool MBP ever since. I swear my battery life has increased not decreased! I know I could wear the fans out sooner but I manually switch it off a lot which is very simple to do.

For a few years now I've run smcfancontrol at about 3000rpm on the single-fan MacBook/Pros I've owned. The reduced heat which also benefits the components is well worth the increased use of the fan. I haven't encountered any fan failures in several years, just other things like HDD, logic board, SuperDrive, trackpad... My latest Mac, a 13" 2010 MacBook Pro is virtually silent most of the time and I run smcfancontrol at about 2800rpm (max is 6200rpm). Impressive machine so far, cooler and faster and less noisy than the MacBook Alu and non-unbody MacBooks before that. Still gets hot of course if you're doing something intense and what not but you could set the fans to 5000rpm rather than let the laptop decide.

Here's a hint: Cant get the exact RPM you want when using the slider? Edit the smcfancontrol plist file... For the obsessive.
  • Reply 45 of 158
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It also lets them change prices instantly (should that never ever arise) because those little cardboard price things next to the products are now (presumably) gone.

Exactly. The entire backend is presumably a special web site where changes are easily made to anything. The entire set up should be made available to other stores. Apple could be even running dentists patient systems soon (my gold standard for breaking PC domination )
  • Reply 46 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

For a few years now I've run smcfancontrol at about 3000rpm on the single-fan MacBook/Pros I've owned. The reduced heat which also benefits the components is well worth the increased use of the fan. I haven't encountered any fan failures in several years, just other things like HDD, logic board, SuperDrive, trackpad... My latest Mac, a 13" 2010 MacBook Pro is virtually silent most of the time and I run smcfancontrol at about 2800rpm (max is 6200rpm). Impressive machine so far, cooler and faster and less noisy than the MacBook Alu and non-unbody MacBooks before that. Still gets hot of course if you're doing something intense and what not but you could set the fans to 5000rpm rather than let the laptop decide.

Yes, thanks for the tip (before we get banned for off topic) I backed off to 3000 now. I am lucky my fans are super quiet ...or I'm maybe going deaf
  • Reply 47 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

looks like it's mount at the top but within the lucite. My questions are how thick can it be an still react naturally for the user? Since these are always plugged in could they boot the power to the touch panel to make it more sensitive under the lucite? (I don't expect to get answers to these questions.)

I think you're right.

I also notice the charging cable on the ipads isn't plugged in where it usually is under the home button.
  • Reply 48 of 158
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

And Blue Dalmatian! Where's the Flower Power?

Forget black!... forget white!... I want my next iPad to be Flower Power!!
  • Reply 49 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Forget black!... forget white!... I want my next iPad to be Flower Power!!

For those print guys working at 5600 °K they will have to have a neutral gray version
  • Reply 50 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

What a total fucking non-event.

I've been saying it, a product launch, let alone something like iCloud, is quite unlikely for celebrating retail. However, where was the celebration? Now that's a let down.
  • Reply 51 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Ah yes indeed. I must have confused polycarbonate with plexiglas. Thanks for the correction.

No problem, David. And I agree with you it does look awesome.
  • Reply 52 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I also notice the charging cable on the ipads isn't plugged in where it usually is under the home button.

It's mentioned in the article. Apple hax.
  • Reply 53 of 158
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

looks like it's mount at the top but within the lucite. My questions are how thick can it be an still react naturally for the user? Since these are always plugged in could they boot the power to the touch panel to make it more sensitive under the lucite? (I don't expect to get answers to these questions.)

It doesn't look to me that the plexiglass/lucite is covering the iPad, it's simply inset into it. I don't think the screen would be able to work properly at all with even a thin sheet of it over it.
  • Reply 54 of 158
    Quote:

Here's the deal -- any retail store can have an interactive spokesman (low key salesman) at every retail station for $500/per... Total. No breaks, no OT, no raises, no healthcare/benes...

In a way, it's sad... But that's progress!

...you damn well better believe that there's an app for that!

Honestly, I think it will be heart-crushing for any disgruntled Apple employees. Personally, what looks like an iPad for each laptop displayed seems excessive.

End of the day, be thankful and blessed that you never have to work in big chain retail.
  • Reply 55 of 158
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

...... I can see them being used everywhere from museums and exhibitions....

I have seen them used in a museum. I think it was The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County or Museum of Contemporary Art Los Angeles.
  • Reply 56 of 158
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

I've been saying it, a product launch, let alone something like iCloud, is quite unlikely for celebrating retail. However, where was the celebration? Now that's a let down.

What better way to celebrate in retail than continue to sell products customers want at prices they can't afford.

They should have had a one-day fire sale though. $1,000 off everything currently in the retail store with anything under $1,000 selling for $1 and only one item per customer. How much could they possibly lose? They only have 300 stores in the world. If they had 1000 items per store and they lost $1000 on each item (which they wouldn't), that's a $300m loss in the absolute worst case. Compared to $6b profit last quarter.

Or, better yet, instead of rewarding the penny pinchers who would just sell it on eBay, maybe track down people who have spent tens of thousands on Apple products over the years and send a gift like a MBA or an iPad even.
  • Reply 57 of 158
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not that expensive. The cost to apple is only like $100 per unit.

iSuppli says #326.60

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/iPad-2-Carries-Bill-of-Materials-of-$326-60-IHS-iSuppli-Teardown-Analysis-Shows.aspx
  • Reply 58 of 158
    Quote:

It's mentioned in the article. Apple hax.

I'm so observant
  • Reply 59 of 158
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

Here's the deal -- any retail store can have an interactive spokesman (low key salesman) at every retail station for $500/per... Total. No breaks, no OT, no raises, no healthcare/benes...!

Yep. And now every customer that uses one those germ transfer stations can delight in knowing any bug that the person that used it before them had is now living on their fingers. Progress indeed.

-kpluck
  • Reply 60 of 158
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

My thoughts on this are that is is brilliant for a few reasons. First, it could reduces the need for as many staff. Next, everyone will be trying out an iPad even if shopping for a MacBook Pro or an iPod Nano and lastly maybe Apple are demonstrating yet another use of an iPad. Perhaps other companies will invest in the custom versions of point of sale iPads. I can see them being used everywhere from museums and exhibitions to POS for just about any item sales staff have problems explaining (Best Buy anyone?).

I guarantee we will see RIM's tablet and Google's Android tablets suddenly appearing doing the exact same thing as those companies 'suddenly' have the exact same idea. I bet Microsoft are up early this morning planning their design for one too.

P.S. Sorry off topic mods ... but I have to share ... I am typing this on my MacBook Pro i7 which is on my lap ... it isn't cooking my legs! In fact it is cool the read out is only 35*C! I installed smcFanControl (Google it) and simply set minimum fan speed to 5000 on both fans and have had a lovely cool MBP ever since. I swear my battery life has increased not decreased! I know I could wear the fans out sooner but I manually switch it off a lot which is very simple to do.

nice post !!