Apple to add build-to-order Mac options to Apple Store iOS app - rumor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new report claims that Apple plans to update its "Apple Store" retail app on iOS to include support for build-to-order Mac purchases during its retail overhaul this weekend.

MacRumors notes that, according to sources, Apple plans to revamp its Apple Store application for iOS devices alongside other planned upgrades to its online and brick-and-mortar retail operations. Sources indicated that the updated app will debut on Sunday "with full support for customizing build-to-order Macs" identical to the range of options available through the Apple online store.

The current Apple Store app supports only stock configurations and a few options such as AppleCare and One to One. After the upgrade, customers will reportedly be able to customized processor, memory, hard drive and other hardware options for each model, as well as select software titles for reinstallation.

Apple has planned a series of major updates to both online and in-store procedures that are set to take place this Sunday, May 22. On Friday, the Mac maker took the order status feature on its website offline until Sunday in order to update its systems.

On Wednesday, AppleInsider reported that Apple has begun amassing iPads that will run an updated version of the company's in-house RetailMe software and will be distributed to retail employees. According to numerous reports, Apple retail stores will hold both early morning and evening mandatory meetings to implement the changes on Sunday.

Apple first released a retail store application for iOS last June, allowing customers to browse and purchase Apple products and accessories, stay up to date with in-store events and make appointments for Genius Bar and One to One.

Last fall, Apple updated the Apple Store app to allow customers to check-in for appointments while at the company's retail locations. The company has also reportedly developed an internal Concierge application for iOS that allows retail employees to manage queues and appointments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Would Lodsys consider these in-app purchases?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

FAIL! It's already documented that Apple already have a valid license (assuming their claim stands and relevant of course)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    An EPP login would be a nice addition.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    WE ALL KNOW I, AM BIG SILLY apple fan boy .

But I see red when I talke about APPLES APP STORE . It is so slow .

That rainbow spinning wheels. Spins all the time each time I want to change something. While I live the app store takes all the AAPLE branded apps I ever bought and allows me to spread them all on the 4 apple computers my family has.

I bought COD4 and put the game on 3 machines so far

And I never lose the app >Its always known by Apple that this is my APP so upon buying a new apple computer I get to DOWNload for free 80 odd apps I own already.

No discs to insert either.

Apple Just locked another MULTI billion dollar revenue stream .

IPAD

MBP and IMAC

IPHONE

IPOD family

And now a cloud like complete SOFTWARE WORLD that is synced for life to all your hard ware.

Best of all Software and Books should get cheaper in price since all the wasteful shipping packaging and brick and mortar stuff is now fading away .

The whole disc making wrapping shipping & brick & mortar waste will fade to invisible when using the APPLES APP stores .

Everyone saves even mother earth .

So I SAY TO APPLE PLEASE

Speed UP all your stores .

FASTER

peace

• Reply 5 of 22
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The only reason I go to a brick and mortar Apple Store is if I'm after a stock config. If you're going to have to wait anyway, might as well order it yourself, at home.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

FAIL! It's already documented that Apple already have a valid license (assuming their claim stands and relevant of course)

Ever heard of a 'joke'? Go back and read soli's post again and breath slowly.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Son, I am not dissapoint. Well played.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ever heard of a 'joke'? Go back and read soli's post again and breath slowly.

yeah, that did fly over this guy's head for some reason.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    This is a great idea. I was wondering if I could order a custom-built Mac online and have it shipped to my local Apple store, because I can't be at home to sign for it, and my employer doesn't like personal packages to be sent to work.

So purchase of custom-built macs at the Apple brick-and-mortar stores would be a plus for me, even if it means 2 trips to the store that's almost an hour away.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    how about backlit keyboards?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

how about backlit keyboards?

Those tend to be included or not an option at all.

If you are referring to the current MBAs we?ll just have to wait to see if they have corrected that limitation in the next releases which should hopefully arrive during the Summer.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

WE ALL KNOW I, AM BIG SILLY apple fan boy .

But I see red when I talke about APPLES APP STORE .

Sucks that that happens to you. I have never had any trouble myself.

That said, that's not what this article is about. It's about the actual brick stores.

And I heard that in fact the real changes to the Apple Store App are NOT about online orders at all. They are going to change it to pull a little bit of a Best Buy. The App would actually allow you to place an order, with select upgrades and installs, pay via the App and pick it up at the store. If it was all just upgrades they can do at the store like more RAM and installing Microsoft Office, you might get the message back that your order is ready for pick up within a couple of hours. If it is a truly custom build it would take the same 1-whatever days (because it has to be custom built at the factory) but you don't have to worry about figuring out home or office,who would be there to sign etc.

Or you can place the order and have it shipped straight to you. Full option choosing like online

Now I also heard that the pick up at the store is not for all stores. But only those that have the space and staff to handle it. So like here in LA we'd be looking at the Grove, Third Street, Glendale (after the rumored move to the Americana) and perhaps Northridge. But not the dinky and crowed Sherman Oaks etc stores. Which if the stores are well spread out is still not that bad.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    My kids will have a lot of fun with this, trying to see who can create the most expensive system configuration!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

My kids will have a lot of fun with this, trying to see who can create the most expensive system configuration!

That's like torturing them. Give them you're credit card. And let them order a system.

I've said to mine son and daughter they may spend a maximum of ? 6500.- per 3 year on Mac products. My daughter choosed for an iMac i7 27" an iPhone 4 32Gb and a iPad 2 64Gb 3G. She just spended ? 4915.- so she has enough cash for buying apps, over the years.

My son however ordered a 12-core Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz, with a 27" LED Cinema Display. And a White iPhone 16Gb. He spended ? 7215,- so he has nothing left to buy apps, and get a cut on the price, when I think they need new computers. By blowing the budget with ? 715.- he cannot buy apps, and have to beg with my daughter if he can use her iTunes account for purchasing certain apps. He really hates to beg, and he always have to pay his debts at the end of every week. My daughter really rubs it in at the end of the weeks when he purchased apps, that she can buy a this or that with that money. He also knows when he can buy a computer that's worth ? 715,- less then the one my daughter is able to buy, and that she can spend her leftover budget. By setting a budget, and letting your kids buy their stuff and clothes on their own. They really love you for it, whilst learning how to spend their money. They get ? 100,- pocket money a week, to spend at school. And for buying meals at school or at a restaurant. And a ?1000,- per month to spend on clothing and other stuff. They know when they blow their budget, they don't get extra money from me or my wife.

My daughter is 12 now and my son 14, and already they know how to set their budgets if they want to buy something special.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cornerstar31 View Post

My daughter is 12 now and my son 14, and already they know how to set their budgets if they want to buy something special.

So I took it their now how too life on an budget? Good fore then!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So I took it their now how too life on an budget? Good fore then!

They too life how took fore what who now?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The only reason I go to a brick and mortar Apple Store is if I'm after a stock config. If you're going to have to wait anyway, might as well order it yourself, at home.

I've never understood why you couldn't config and order any machine you wanted at the store. The configs are part of the Apple Product line.

The store sells the Apple Product line. Selling the whole thing only makes sense.

I bought a specialty lawn tractor at Sears today. I did all the research on the options and deals online, but I went to the store to place the order so I could have a face to face with a human, ask more questions without navigating the deeper recesses of help systems, warranty details, how the system would be delivered and set up, etc. This helped me fine tune my order.

And the website was wrong. It said the extended service warranty was not transferable to a new owner if I sold it, but at the store I found out that is definitely transferable.

Makes eminent sense to me!

(PS: not that this would've happened at an Apple Store, but I also ended up with a $40 gift certificate I wouldn't have gotten online.)
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I've never understood why you couldn't config and order any machine you wanted at the store. The configs are part of the Apple Product line.

The store sells the Apple Product line. Selling the whole thing only makes sense.

The stores simply don't have the space or the manpower to create BTO assemblies, much less stock the range of extra parts needed to do so. If they are planning on adding this capability to their retail stores, it will cost them A BUNCH in physical plant modification, back-of-house systems, and payroll. AT EACH STORE.

Since BTO configs would not be available 'while-u-wait', free overnight shipping becomes negligible for APPLE and eliminates the 'convenience' of local BTO distribution for the customer.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

The stores simply don't have the space or the manpower to create BTO assemblies, much less stock the range of extra parts needed to do so. If they are planning on adding this capability to their retail stores, it will cost them A BUNCH in physical plant modification, back-of-house systems, and payroll. AT EACH STORE.

Since BTO configs would not be available 'while-u-wait', free overnight shipping becomes negligible for APPLE and eliminates the 'convenience' of local BTO distribution for the customer.

respectfully disagree - it's not about adding BTO to the stores at all - just about linking the possibilities on the site with those in the store - and with shipping either to either the store (for configuration, data transfer, hand-holding, etc. as required as people do now) or to your own home if you don't need any post-purchase store help. there would be no change in current delivery times for BTO sales (which ship directly from Asia anyway - or have in my case since I always order BTO and have engravables engraved, etc.) - the only real effect would be to drive more sales to be made at the store.

and to have people leave still not sure about what or if they're going to buy - and so a higher close the sales rate....
  • Reply 20 of 22
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

/golf clap