Apple's fifth-gen iPhone rumored to have curved glass screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The latest rumor from Apple's supply chain in Taiwan is that the fifth-generation iPhone will have a curved glass cover for its touchscreen display.



Sources in the supply chain reportedly told DigiTimes that Apple has purchased between 200 and 300 glass cutting machines to be used by glass makers for the production of curved displays. Cover glass makers are said to be "reluctant to commit investment" in such equipment because of costs.



"The glass slicing machines are currently being stored at associated assembly plants and will be brought online once yield rates for the production of curved glass reaches a satisfactory level," Monday's report said.



Because the "iPhone 5" is set to launch later than usual this year, suppliers do not yet have a timetable for volume production of the next-generation device. Apple reportedly continues to work with suppliers including cover glass, glass cutting, lamination and touch sensors to improve yield rates.



The concept of a curved glass smartphone screen was a major feature of the Google Nexus S, which launched in the U.S. last December. The flagship device from Google, which was the first to run the "Gingerbread" Android mobile operating system, sports a 400-by-800-pixel display on a unique "contour display" with curved glass.



As for the fifth-generation iPhone, the most recent details have suggested the device will have a camera lens and LED flash spread further apart on the rear of the device. This would allow for improved photos in low-lighting conditions by reducing the "red eye" effect sometimes created by camera flash.







Other reports have suggested that Apple is looking to slightly enlarge the display of the next iPhone, utilizing an edge-to-edge Retina Display while retaining the same form factor as the current iPhone 4. However, Monday's report is the first indication of a supposed curved screen for the next-generation iPhone.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 64
    shoozzshoozz Posts: 26member
    My concern is that the curved glass will increase the probability of broken glass. Does anyone have any info reference the Google Nexus?
  • Reply 2 of 64
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,740member
    Like this?







    An early design. \



    All the best.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Just do it!
  • Reply 4 of 64
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Is it normal for Apple to purchase machines for a supplier?
  • Reply 5 of 64
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    mmm interesting
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoozz View Post


    My concern is that the curved glass will increase the probability of broken glass. Does anyone have any info reference the Google Nexus?



    don't why it would really, glass is amorphous. May even be better if it follows the contour of a front pocket...
  • Reply 7 of 64
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Ι dont see what benefit curved glass would have, could someone explain?
  • Reply 8 of 64
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Is there any value in doing this beyond some insignificant aesthetic exercise?



    I'm just asking.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,675member
    The article doesn't mention it, but what exactly is the benefit of a curved glass screen supposed to be? I can sort of see it when used as a handset (if we're talking concave), but it seems like a detriment for working with apps, and maybe for use as a camera.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,779member
    The thing I'm having trouble figuring out is how Apple will stop people accidentally touching the touch screen with the palm-side of their thumb while holding the iPhone 5, given its edge-to-edge display. It will have to have flat sides like the iPhone 4, but also, some kind of lip on the front edge of the device to negate accidental touches from the holding-hand; the left hand for most users.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    dullbladedullblade Posts: 28member
    Iphone 6 will be the shape of a sphere.



    It will be called the iball
  • Reply 12 of 64
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    The thing I'm having trouble figuring out is how Apple will stop people accidentally touching the touch screen with the palm-side of their thumb while holding the iPhone 5, given its edge-to-edge display. It will have to have flat sides like the iPhone 4, but also, some kind of lip on the front edge of the device to negate accidental touches from the holding-hand; the left hand for most users.



    I already do that on my iPhone 4. There is some merit in having a bezel on these tiny devices.



    Personally I don't see the advantage of a curved screen, but I'd take a larger screen in a heart beat. The iPhone's screen now looks positively miniature compared to many Android screens. I'm hoping for at least 4", but ideally 4.5".
  • Reply 13 of 64
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 114member
    I'm going to laugh when Apple releases the iPhone 5 or 4S or whatever they call it on the normal schedule. Unless there's a shortage of components, I doubt it will be that hard to put in better camera and A5 with the same basic design. And yes, just adding the A5 is a big deal. A 9 fold increase in graphics performance is a big deal.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post


    I'm going to laugh when Apple releases the iPhone 5 or 4S or whatever they call it on the normal schedule. Unless there's a shortage of components, I doubt it will be that hard to put in better camera and A5 with the same basic design. And yes, just adding the A5 is a big deal. A 9 fold increase in graphics performance is a big deal.





    i'm with you, i feel the ip4 is near ideal, maybe similar screen ratio for ipad to support developers, but why would apple follow "nexus"

    they already got samsung saying "they copied us"

    it may be a prototype, but apple doesn't need to follow it leads

    and the advantage?? SJ gives value not gimmick
  • Reply 15 of 64
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    Like this?







    An early design. \



    All the best.







    Interesting.



    I'm confused by this article, but maybe someone here can set me straight. The article mentions the nexus S as a comparison for curved glass. I really don't know anything about it, so I did an image search. According to the pictures, the glass display doesn't look curved, yet the article above concerns a curved glass display, which made me think of something like the illustration above. Which one is it, curved back, or curved display? Or was I just not looking closely enough at the nexus S?



    I have a hard time seeing apple using a curved display for the phone. It's a neat idea, but would there be complaints about picture viewing, and games? I can see the concavity offering ease of use for the arch swing of the thumb...but I never saw this as an "issue" that needed to be solved. Have I completely misunderstood?



    Thoughts? I'm intrigued but skeptical.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post


    Interesting.



    I'm confused by this article, but maybe someone here can set me straight. The article mentions the nexus S as a comparison for curved glass. I really don't know anything about it, so I did an image search. According to the pictures, the glass display doesn't look curved, yet the article above concerns a curved glass display, which made me think of something like the illustration above. Which one is it, curved back, or curved display? Or was I just not looking closely enough at the nexus S?



    I have a hard time seeing apple using a curved display for the phone. It's a neat idea, but would there be complaints about picture viewing, and games? I can see the concavity offering ease of use for the arch swing of the thumb...but I never saw this as an "issue" that needed to be solved. Have I completely misunderstood?



    Thoughts? I'm intrigued but skeptical.



    Actually, I wasn't sure about that either - someone will set us straight.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


    I already do that on my iPhone 4. There is some merit in having a bezel on these tiny devices.



    Personally I don't see the advantage of a curved screen, but I'd take a larger screen in a heart beat. The iPhone's screen now looks positively miniature compared to many Android screens. I'm hoping for at least 4", but ideally 4.5".







    Being a tall guy (6'4/73cm), I also have larger hands - my ideal phone would be as big as the Dell Streak (ducks head to avoid bricks and rotten vegetables). I would welcome a 4.5 inch screen...but Apple would never do it, I fear. It does seem strange to me, however - they offer a variety of sizes for the ipod, most notably the nano/touch, shuffle/classic, and have multiple sizes of the same model laptop, both air and pro, and the same with desktops. I've heard people argue that it would be unApple-like to do it...but the opposite seems to be true. Can't help but agree with the conclusion, though. Don't think it will happen. Ever. iPhone seems to be singular.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post


    Iphone 6 will be the shape of a sphere.



    It will be called the iball





    Thank you for that, i really DID LOL!
  • Reply 19 of 64
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


    I already do that on my iPhone 4. There is some merit in having a bezel on these tiny devices.



    Personally I don't see the advantage of a curved screen, but I'd take a larger screen in a heart beat. The iPhone's screen now looks positively miniature compared to many Android screens. I'm hoping for at least 4", but ideally 4.5".



    What I'd like to see is a 5" Touch being as the Touch is a pocket computer and not used for making calls. 3.5" is too small for a device like the Touch. You can watch video, surf, read, game etc. on a 3.5" device but let's not kid ourselves. It's a seriously compromised experience.



    It makes sense for a phone to compromise so much because, after all, it is a phone foremost and for a phone, a form factor accommodating a 5" screen would be awkward. But a pocket computer would be simply that much better with a 5" display instead of 3.5". It doesn't sound like a lot but it is. One could use a 5" display with the current Touch's 960 X 640 resolution and still have a terrific display with plenty of resolution.



    Making such a device would give Apple a product that could siphon off sales of some of those 7" tablets (such as those sales are) and compete with assorted readers. It might cannibalize some iPad sales but Apple can't build those fast enough. Besides, there is a huge difference between a 5" and a 9.7" device. 5" is at the limit for a device you could pocket.



    I'm not sure why Apple would choose to saddle the Touch with a screen better suited to a smartphone. It can't be about not selling enough Touchs to dedicate a unique screen to it since the Touch screen is not the same unit employed on the iPhone. It can't be about fragmenting available resolutions because a 5" screen would be just fine using the iPhone resolution.



    Also, if the Touch grew a little larger, that would leave room for the Nano to spec up a little as well.



    Perhaps I'm wrong about this but I don't get the impression that Apple thinks the Touch is in need of a significant revision. On the other hand, maybe, what happened last year is that Apple didn't want a larger Touch muddying the waters with the iPad a new device. Yet surely now the iPad is well established hence a larger Touch would not be an issue.



    It makes more sense to make a somewhat larger Touch than significantly increase screen real estate in the iPhone. For a phone, the iPhone is fine the way it is. The Touch is another matter.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post


    Iphone 6 will be the shape of a sphere.



    It will be called the iball





    >> runs to submit a patent on this



    GOLD!!
Sign In or Register to comment.