Updated Apple Store iPhone app allows build to order Mac purchases

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday updated its "Apple Store" application for the iPhone, offering the ability to order a custom Mac, and also more quickly receive help when at a retail store.

The free application (iTunes link) is currently available on the App Store. Version 1.3 is a 3.2MB download, and is available in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. It requires iOS 4.0 or later.

The release of the software coincides with the debut of Apple's improved retail stores, which were upgraded on Sunday. The company now makes use of interactive iPad displays to provide product information, pricing and features.

According to Apple, new features of Apple Store 1.3 are:

Enhanced in-store mode lets you get help and support quickly when you're at an Apple Retail Store.

The ability to custom-configure a new Mac with the options you want.

Using the new application, users can make modifications and upgrades to a Mac order placed from their iPhone. For example, users can add more RAM or upgrade the hard drive of a Mac before they finalize their order -- features that were previously only available on Apple's website.

The software is still only written for the iPhone and iPod touch, prompting some initial negative reviews from users in the App Store. Though the application can be run on an iPad, as all iOS software can, it is not optimized for the screen size and resolution of the touchscreen tablet.

"It's the best way to get the most from the Apple Store -- whether you're on the go or at the store," Apple's description reads. "Wherever you are, you can research and buy products, read reviews, make Genius Bar and One to One appointments, view in-store events, and more. And when you're in an Apple Retail Store, you can request help, receive meet-up alerts, and more."

Rumors of the updated iPhone application first surfaced on Saturday, revealing that the software was set to debut as part of Apple's retail revamp. Apple's online store went offline on Friday to also prepare for the changes.

The Apple Store application was first released in June of 2010. With it, users can view products, read customer reviews, locate a nearby Apple Retail Store, and buy or reserve devices like the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Maybe they'll eventually give us an iPad version.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    This may seem like a tiny upgrade .

Yet down THE ROAD this will be a monster improvement .

Something great for all apple users .

apple is improving everything they can 24/7

apple never sleeps .

• Reply 3 of 19
    domdndomdn Posts: 13member
    Good god, this is an immensely dull and inconsequential story ? of little use to 99% of A.I. visitors
  • Reply 4 of 19
    maccheechmaccheech Posts: 15member
    It would have been nice if this version would have allowed access in other countries than the US.

What's the use of having a multi language app if it's only available in the US iTunes store?

They do sell Mac products elsewhere don't they?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCheech View Post

It would have been nice if this version would have allowed access in other countries than the US.

What's the use of having a multi language app if it's only available in the US iTunes store?

It's available in the UK \
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domdn View Post

Good god, this is an immensely dull and inconsequential story ? of little use to 99% of A.I. visitors

You know this how?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member
    Quote:

So statistics isn't your forte, right?

Do you realize that you have the option of skipping a story and moving on to the next one. Or you could do a deeper dive into the other pages and find the stories you are interested in.

As for the update, I am very interested in Apples updates and upgrades to all of their products and services. It may seem inconsequential to some but to others every nuance of the business is intriguing and worth understanding. Apple has essentially become the gold standard for several manufacturing processes, retail experience, and cultivating a cult-like following. Succeeding at this level is as much in the details as it is in the shock and awe keynotes you see every once in a while.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

You know this how?

87.5% of all statistics are made up.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    prwprw Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Impatience, thy name is customer. Who is always right, except when left out of the target market.

Perhaps the programmers are located in the US. Perhaps the app has to be checked by the Apple marketeers in that locale before it is fully localized. Or maybe Apple should have waited until the app was ready for everywhere in the world, and then released it. Or they should have just waited for a Blue Moon, and then released it.

Sheesh.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Sucks that it's not available in the other 10 countries but this app is pretty damn nifty for US customers. I hope they extend it to the rest of their Apple Store countries.

Also, they reservation option is also web based but I wasn't able to locate the web version until I received a link in the email confirming my reservation.

(Click for full size image)
    PS: Always give 110% when making up statistics.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    I just want to know what took them so long? Seriously...
  • Reply 12 of 19
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Dozens of different languages are spoken in the US, notwithstanding the view which seems to be held by many outside the US, that all its residents are identical.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow, you're going to be waiting a really long time for your products. Did you pre-order an iPhone 1000 or something?

Edit: Didn't notice it says at the bottom what you've ordered. I would have thought they'd have more than 42 versions in 1000 years, though.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Wow, you're going to be waiting a really long time for your products. Did you pre-order an iPhone 1000 or something?

Edit: Didn't notice it says at the bottom what you've ordered. I would have thought they'd have more than 42 versions in 1000 years, though.

That's the 42nd generation of cellular standards, codenamed Paradise. If true LTE is 100Gb/s just multiply 10 for each new generation.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

and also more quickly receive help when at a retail store.

That has actually been in the app the whole time. All they did was add a new screen to the layout that pops up when you first log in. If you dismiss it then you go back to the old way.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    ungenioungenio Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The software is still only written for the iPhone and iPod touch, prompting some initial negative reviews from users in the App Store. Though the application can be run on an iPad, as all iOS software can, it is not optimized for the screen size and resolution of the touchscreen tablet.

Would be nice if the iPad shows iPhone specific apps in Retina Display resolution, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Meh, it was far more useful than your "comment". I'd call it a wash at this point
  • Reply 18 of 19
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Funny how the icon to get help is a shirt. Not a friendly face.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Funny how the icon to get help is a shirt. Not a friendly face.

A shirt is neutral. If you pick a male/female face or icon, then some overly sensitive people will invariably get their panties in a bunch