Largan rumored to supply 8MP camera for Apple's next iPhone in Q3 2011

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Providing more evidence that the next-generation iPhone will include an improved 8-megapixel camera, a new report says Taiwan's Largan Precision is expected to supply the necessary components.

Industry sources in Taiwan reportedly told DigiTimes that Largan could receive "possible orders" from Apple in the third quarter of 2011. That would align with rumors that Apple will not release its next iPhone until the end of the company's 2011 fiscal year, which concludes in late September.

According to the report, most of Largan's current business comes from selling 5-megapixel lenses, while 8-megapixel camera modules represent just 10 percent of the company's business. But that percentage could change drastically if the company does secure orders from Apple for its so-called "iPhone 5."

Largan already supplies 5-megapixel lenses for the iPhone 4, and last year it was said that the company was selected as the sole supplier of lenses for the iPad 2. The iPad 2 was released in March with a forward-facing camera, as well as a rear-facing one.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo with Concord Securities told AppleInsider in September that the next iPhone will feature "slight modifications" from its predecessor, including a new 8-megapixel rear camera. Other reports have suggested the next-generation iPhone will include both CDMA and GSM radios, making it a world phone compatible with both the AT&T and Verizon networks in the U.S.

Picture quality on the new iPhone is also expected to be improved with a separate component for an improved LED flash. Various reports, including one earlier Tuesday, have suggested the flash will be moved farther from the camera lens to reduce red eye.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    To me, this is only logical. If this is the "spec bump" upgrade we've all been led to believe, 8MP camera has to be on the checklist. I for one believe that iPhone 5 (or whatever its name will be) will have the A5, 8MP camera, maybe a 1.3 or 2 MP on the front for FaceTime HD, and longer battery life. The same form factor, same colors, etc. I highly doubt Apple completely redesigned the entire body of the iPhone just to use that new redesign for one year. Heck, they used the original design for 3 years, simply swapping out metal for plastic on the back.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

heck, they used the original design for 3 years, simply swapping out metal for plastic on the back.

HARDLY.

(lowercase letters to get around the caps barrier)
  • Reply 3 of 35
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... secure orders from Apple for its so-called "iPhone 5."....

A bit picky perhaps, but ... you are using this phrase wrong.

Apple has actually not called the next iPhone the "iPhone 5." At least not yet.

So it's not really "Apple's so-called" anything yet.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    You are arguing semantics.

The writer is just talking about the purported fifth generation handset. No one knows what Apple will call it, so any title is valid including "iPhone 5" or "Cash Cow 5."
  • Reply 5 of 35
    freethinkerfreethinker Posts: 122member
    Is an 8 MP camera that astounding? I am very happy with the picture quality of the iPhone 4's 5 MP camera. I don't see a huge leap forward or enough of a selling point for me to upgrade early...
  • Reply 6 of 35
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

You are arguing semantics.

The writer is just talking about the purported fifth generation handset. No one knows what Apple will call it, so any title is valid including "iPhone 5" or "Cash Cow 5."

Also, it IS so-called, just not so-called by Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HARDLY.

so true... the 1st gen iPhone was very different from the 3G. it had a better look and feel. the 3G/3Gs felt cheap to me. the iPhone 4 on the other hand... is a work of art.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Is an 8 MP camera that astounding? I am very happy with the picture quality of the iPhone 4's 5 MP camera. I don't see a huge leap forward or enough of a selling point for me to upgrade early...

After looking at the pic, it's not the resolution of the new camera that strikes me, it's the lack of the wide edge the previous one had. This could mean that they are planning to shrink the part of the glass above the screen so the camera needs to be closer to the metal frame. I'm still pimping the iPhone nano idea--a screen the same size or slightly larger than current one that covers nearly all of the front with a touch sensitive Home "button" that is actually a region at the center bottom or corner of the screen.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

I love my iPhone 4?s 5MP camera, and really have no desire for more pixels (of blurry noise) just because they sound good on a spec sheet.

But you can?t deny, 8MP images are simply astonishing! They take up 60% more space on your phone. Then 60% more space on your computer. Then 60% more space in your backup. And 60% more space in your web gallery. And 60% more space when you email them! It?s awesome. And how fast can you move 60% more data? 60% slower! 60% slower to save. 60% slower to open. 60% slower to copy, edit, upload, email or back up. You have been given the gift of time. Stop and smell the roses! And laugh at your lowly 5MP friends.

It?s the MHz myth all over again. (Exception: $50k camera used for making commercial billboards.)
  • Reply 10 of 35
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

so true... the 1st gen iPhone was very different from the 3G. it had a better look and feel. the 3G/3Gs felt cheap to me. the iPhone 4 on the other hand... is a work of art.

I agree with you on that. I had an original iPhone, then 3GS, now a 4. My wife had the 3G and now a 4. If I had to choose in order, it'd be 4, 1st gen, 3GS, then 3G. They were the exact same design, but Apple did make the 3GS feel at least a little more high-end than the 3G did when it came out.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

But it makes a great upgrade for me and millions of other 3GS owners.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I love my iPhone 4?s 5MP camera, and really have no desire for more pixels (of blurry noise) just because they sound good on a spec sheet.

But you can?t deny, 8MP images are simply astonishing! They take up 60% more space on your phone. Then 60% more space on your computer. Then 60% more space in your backup. And 60% more space in your web gallery. And 60% more space when you email them! It?s awesome. And how fast can you move 60% more data? 60% slower! 60% slower to save. 60% slower to open. 60% slower to copy, edit, upload, email or back up. You have been given the gift of time. Stop and smell the roses! And laugh at your lowly 5MP friends.

It?s the MHz myth all over again. (Exception: $50k camera used for making commercial billboards.)

Amen. I couldn't be happier with my iPhone 4 even though the new one, whatever SJ names it, will be 60% more of a pain in my ass. But you know, the iCloud will alleviate a lot of pressure on my precious 15GB iPhone...How do you think that will work? Will the cloud take all my music or just the iTunes downloaded music on my iPhone?
  • Reply 13 of 35
    ptfernptfern Posts: 17member
    You would hope if they're going with a 8 mega pixel in the back that it would be a better quality sensor. Not just for the, "more mega pixel is better" hype.

How about making the front facing lens a better quality one? Now there's an idea apple. You would actually SEE the difference with the better front facing lens.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    If they have anti-motion blur technoloy for moderate to dimmed area then I'm sold!
  • Reply 15 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Is an 8 MP camera that astounding?

Thus there is no way to say what we will get until it is delivered. If the base technologies have advanced enough it could be astounding. However I believe the next major advancements are a couple of years away.
    Quote:

I am very happy with the picture quality of the iPhone 4's 5 MP camera.

That is good to hear but honestly it gas nothing to do with a new and improved iPhone coming out. That is like saying you are happy with call quality and thus don't need a new phone.
    Quote:

I don't see a huge leap forward or enough of a selling point for me to upgrade early...

Contrary to popular belief the upgrades aren't there for you, you are already a customer.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

You are arguing semantics....

Grammar not semantics.

And I said it was picky.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I agree with other commenters that suggest the number of pixels is irrelevant to actual consumer use. The perception is otherwise, but it's too bad the only thing most people understand about comparing cameras isn't necessarily true. Any improvement to the picture quality are probably going to be mostly due to something else, but will be assumed to be related to increased pixel count. The real answer is a lot more complicated.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree with other commenters that suggest the number of pixels is irrelevant to actual consumer use. The perception is otherwise, but it's too bad the only thing they understand about cameras isn't necessarily true. Any improvement to the picture quality are probably going to be mostly due to something else, but will be assumed to be related to increased pixel count.

Agreed. On matters such as this I always have to remind myself of the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IQ_curve.svg
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:

The increased pixel count is not necessarily meaningful at all.

Apple's cameras are always (so far) better than the competition's cameras at the same megapixel number, so the fact that they are increasing it yet again merely indicates that the camera in the new iPhone will likely be better than the last and also better than the competition, which are no doubt good things.

More telling information about the camera would be the type and size of sensor it uses, and the type and quality of the lens, but we can infer that these will also be better than the current camera in some way.

The 8MP means that it could record video in 1280p but 720p with a higher frame rate would give a better picture, so maybe they will go that way instead.

The only thing you can be certain of is that if it doesn't record in 1280p, that will be another tick-point on the Android fans anti-iPhone hate list.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Never heard of 1280p.

Boosting the iPhone's camera to record 1080p video is a much more plausible notion.