Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mppaypemppaype Posts: 1member
    Sorry, del please .
  • Reply 22 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

To me, this is only logical. If this is the "spec bump" upgrade we've all been led to believe, 8MP camera has to be on the checklist. I for one believe that iPhone 5 (or whatever its name will be) will have the A5, 8MP camera, maybe a 1.3 or 2 MP on the front for FaceTime HD, and longer battery life. The same form factor, same colors, etc. I highly doubt Apple completely redesigned the entire body of the iPhone just to use that new redesign for one year. Heck, they used the original design for 3 years, simply swapping out metal for plastic on the back.

Right... And the iPhone has been a phone since 2007 too! It's time for a change!!

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 23 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The 8MP means that it could record video in 1280p but 720p with a higher frame rate would give a better picture, so maybe they will go that way instead.

The only thing you can be certain of is that if it doesn't record in 1280p, that will be another tick-point on the Android fans anti-iPhone hate list.

What does a 8MP sensor do to enable 1080p? Assuming a 4:3 Bayer sensor, only a 2.8MP sensor is needed to be able to record 1080p at native resolution.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What does a 8MP sensor do to enable 1080p? Assuming a 4:3 Bayer sensor, only a 2.8MP sensor is needed to be able to record 1080p at native resolution.

I guess I made it obvious that I don't really care much about video recording there didn't I?

Obviously I'm wrong here, and it's 1080p, but I have read a few articles that claimed 1080p wasn't possible at the current pixel count and that's what we were waiting for.

My point was mainly that a decent frame rate on the high def video recording we already have would be preferable to 1080p recording per se. Almost any motion in an iPhone 4 video turns it into a smeared mess of blurry pixels so saying it records high def video is a bit of a misleading statement really.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I guess I made it obvious that I don't really care much about video recording there didn't I?

Obviously I'm wrong here, and it's 1080p, but I have read a few articles that claimed 1080p wasn't possible at the current pixel count and that's what we were waiting for.

My point was mainly that a decent frame rate on the high def video recording we already have would be preferable to 1080p recording per se. Almost any motion in an iPhone 4 video turns it into a smeared mess of blurry pixels so saying it records high def video is a bit of a misleading statement really.

Whatever articles you have been reading about 1080p are erroneous.

The iPod touch captures 720p HD video; it's basically a 0.9MP sensor.

I don't think the 8 megapixel sensor will really add much value for still photography, the limiting factor is the resolving power of the puny lens. Increased sensitivity, particularly low-light performance would be a far better goal, as that greatly improves both still and motion photography.

Since the shutter speed for video is basically 1/60 of a second, that's far more of an issue.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    urabbiturabbit Posts: 2member
    So long as this new 8MP camera provides the image quality that we expect from an iDevice. Also, 1080p would be great! As well as image stabilization and face recognition. I still think the touch-to-focus is the best feature! Wish the Hipstamatic app had it.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I love my iPhone 4?s 5MP camera, and really have no desire for more pixels (of blurry noise) just because they sound good on a spec sheet.

But you can?t deny, 8MP images are simply astonishing! They take up 60% more space on your phone. Then 60% more space on your computer. Then 60% more space in your backup. And 60% more space in your web gallery. And 60% more space when you email them! It?s awesome. And how fast can you move 60% more data? 60% slower! 60% slower to save. 60% slower to open. 60% slower to copy, edit, upload, email or back up. You have been given the gift of time. Stop and smell the roses! And laugh at your lowly 5MP friends.

It?s the MHz myth all over again. (Exception: $50k camera used for making commercial billboards.)

It depends on what else they do with it. If its a straight 5 - 8 MP jump with no sensor improvements, same sensor size, same lens, no software tweaks, etc, then image quality would be worse and all that you said would also be true. However if they improve the sensor to match the megapixels and improve everything else, the new camera could be a nice upgrade. We'll see.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Right... And the iPhone has been a phone since 2007 too! It's time for a change!!

</sarcasm>

My point was that the iPhone 4 was the first iPhone since it was introduced to completely redesign everything. New physical design, better camera, front camera, new processor, more memory, high-res screen, etc. etc. etc. iPhone 1 to iPhone 3G was a case change. Swap out metal for plastic, and you're done. 3G to 3GS was a spec bump: same exact look and feel, faster internals. 3GS to 4 was a complete overhaul of everything about the iPhone. All I was saying was I doubt Apple is going to completely overhaul everything again, just give us the 3G to 3GS spec bump.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

The sensor area is 8MP gross pixel count, but for 1080p the sensor area is cropped to a 16:9 aspect ratio rectangle. The sensor itself has usually a 4:3 aspect ratio, hence, a lot of pixels are not used for 1080p recording.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

< . . . > According to the report, most of Largan's current business comes from selling 5-megapixel lenses, while 8-megapixel camera modules represent just 10 percent of the company's business. < . . . > Largan already supplies 5-megapixel lenses for the iPhone 4, and last year it was said that the company was selected as the sole supplier of lenses for the iPad 2.

Dear Mr. Lane,

What are "5-megapixel lenses"? Are you using "lens" interchangeably with "camera"? That would be very sloppy, wouldn't it? What's the deal?
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The sensor area is 8MP gross pixel count, but for 1080p the sensor area is cropped to a 16:9 aspect ratio rectangle. The sensor itself has usually a 4:3 aspect ratio, hence, a lot of pixels are not used for 1080p recording.

Pretty much what I've already said, except I'm saying 8MP is a false figure as far as I can tell.

What I was saying is that a 2.8MP 4:3 Bayer sensor (1920x1440) can crop down to 16:9 1080p, though only one photo site per pixel. The 8MP might be 3x photosites per pixel, but that's not common for cell phones.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Pretty much what I've already said, except I'm saying 8MP is a false figure as far as I can tell.

What I was saying is that a 2.8MP 4:3 Bayer sensor (1920x1440) can crop down to 16:9 1080p, though only one photo site per pixel. The 8MP might be 3x photosites per pixel, but that's not common for cell phones.

I thought for stills you would get the entire 8MP sensor. Isn't that how cameras with 4:3 sensors usually work? In what way is it false to call it 8MP?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I thought for stills you would get the entire 8MP sensor. Isn't that how cameras with 4:3 sensors usually work? In what way is it false to call it 8MP?

What I mean is to say that 8MP is necessary to get 1080p is false.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

To me, this is only logical. If this is the "spec bump" upgrade we've all been led to believe, 8MP camera has to be on the checklist. I for one believe that iPhone 5 (or whatever its name will be) will have the A5, 8MP camera, maybe a 1.3 or 2 MP on the front for FaceTime HD, and longer battery life. The same form factor, same colors, etc. I highly doubt Apple completely redesigned the entire body of the iPhone just to use that new redesign for one year. Heck, they used the original design for 3 years, simply swapping out metal for plastic on the back.

My thoughts exactly great post
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I love my iPhone 4?s 5MP camera, and really have no desire for more pixels (of blurry noise) just because they sound good on a spec sheet.

But you can?t deny, 8MP images are simply astonishing! They take up 60% more space on your phone. Then 60% more space on your computer. Then 60% more space in your backup. And 60% more space in your web gallery. And 60% more space when you email them! It?s awesome. And how fast can you move 60% more data? 60% slower! 60% slower to save. 60% slower to open. 60% slower to copy, edit, upload, email or back up. You have been given the gift of time. Stop and smell the roses! And laugh at your lowly 5MP friends.

It?s the MHz myth all over again. (Exception: $50k camera used for making commercial billboards.)

Agreed. 8MP, for a camera that shoots grainy shots anyway, wont be all that impressive. 8MP of grain is only moderately better than 5MP of grain. It's the quality of the sensor that matters, not the number of pixels captured (past a certain point anyway).

What I'm noticing in the pictures is the front camera is the same size as the back camera. How nice would it be to have a 5MP camera on the front and the back instead of a crappy camera on the front? That grainy sombitch on the front is nearly worthless.