Rumor: iOS 5 won't run on Apple's iPhone 3GS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new rumor claims that Apple's next-generation mobile operating system, iOS 5, won't run on the iPhone 3GS first released in 2009 and still sold as the entry-level iPhone.

The claims stem from a Twitter post from Mobile-Review.com editor Eldar Murtazin, which was first discovered by MacStories. If true, it would mean that those who take advantage of the current $49 U.S. price of the iPhone 3GS could be out of luck with iOS 5 launches.

"Just one comment," Murtazin wrote. "Apple iPhone 3Gs wont be upgradable to iOS 5.x. iPhone 4 will."

That would be a change from last year, when iOS 4 was ported to the iPhone 3G, a device that first became available in 2008. While iPhone 3G users were able to upgrade to iOS 4, the software still had missing features due to the slower hardware, like multitasking and background wallpaper.

But iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G had its share of problems. In late July, Apple was compelled to publicly respond after iPhone 3G users reported performance issues with iOS 4.

iOS 4.1, released last September, showed improvements in speed and performance, and they were boosted again in November with the release of iOS 4.2. However, starting with iOS 4.3, iPhone 3G users have not had access to the latest software updates.

Murtazin incorrectly reported in December that Apple would add a USB port to its next-generation iPad. The iPad 2 launched in March, and retained the same 30-pin iPod dock connector as its primary input method.

While the iPhone 4 is Apple's most popular handset, the iPhone 3GS is still a strong seller for the company. Earlier this month, it was revealed that the iPhone 3GS often outsells new, competing handsets that run the Google Android mobile operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I would be surprised if most of the regulars here ever expected the 3GS to be fully-supported with iOS5. Rather than have to deal with older hardware (ala Microsoft), Apple historically only fully supports the current and next oldest previous version of it's iPhones hasn't it? Two gen's back would be unusual for Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 70
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor claims that Apple's next-generation mobile operating system, iOS 5, won't run on the iPhone 3GS first released in 2009 and still sold as the entry-level iPhone....

Apple has been really clear on their policy in regards updates though and the 3Gs doesn't make the bar, so no one should really *expect* iOS 5 to run on a 3Gs.

That being said, I bet even if it isn't officially supported that it will still work on a 3Gs.
  • Reply 3 of 70
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    iOS 4 should not even run on 3GS

All the older models i've seen running the iOS 4 makes the experience of having an Apple product not what it should be.
  • Reply 4 of 70
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Not shocked at all.

2 year contract... 2 years of updates. That's actually pretty generous in this fast-paced tech world.

While you won't get the latest features in your old phone... it's still gonna be as magical as the day you bought it.

It could be worse... Apple could pull an "Old Yeller" and brick your phone after 2 years...
  • Reply 5 of 70
    ernstcsernstcs Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

All the older models i've seen running the iOS 4 makes the experience of having an Apple product not what it should be.

I couldn't agree more. Having been running iOS 4 on my 3G has made me very very unhappy with how often it just grinds to a halt. Just very chunky. That all goes away the end of this week when I get my new phone, but of course I am now compelled to wait until September for the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apple has been really clear on their policy in regards updates though and the 3Gs doesn't make the bar, so no one should really *expect* iOS 5 to run on a 3Gs.

That being said, I bet even if it isn't officially supported that it will still work on a 3Gs.

On the contrary, Apple has always supported their phones to upgrade 2 operating systems forward. So for the original iPhone, it ran iOS3, but nothing beyond. Though iOS4 was scaled down for the 3G, it still ran a version of the OS. As a 3GS owner I'd be really dissapointed if there was no support at all. Apple's position on supporting it's products back 2 gens is something that really separates them for Android phones...Many of which are sold already a generation behind with no option to upgrade.

Like with iOS4, please included at least a scaled down version for 3GS users... Customer satisfaction is everything to Apple!
  • Reply 7 of 70
    Are you sure it is the 3GS and not the 3G? I don't see Apple skipping updates to iOS 5 on both the 3G and the 3GS. Maybe the 3G.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

I couldn't agree more. Having been running iOS 4 on my 3G has made me very very unhappy with how often it just grinds to a halt. Just very chunky. That all goes away the end of this week when I get my new phone, but of course I am now compelled to wait until September for the iPhone 5.

I disagree....Though iPhone 4's are certainly much "snappier" in OS animations, my 3GS runs iOS4 fine... The ability to mutitask and use an external keyboard is critical to me, I certainly wouldn't trade that for a snappier version of iOS3....
  • Reply 9 of 70
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    I would not be surprised. They already dropped OS support for the second gen touch and 3G, the 3GS was next on the cutting block. What sucks is that the 8GB Touch that was sold last year was 2'nd gen hardware so it was quickly obsolete.
  • Reply 10 of 70
    lo_fyelo_fye Posts: 4member
    My 3GS is already unable to cope with "Personal Hotspot" as well as the iPhone4 can. With the 3GS you can only share with 1 device at a time, as opposed to the 4 or 5 you can share with using the iPhone4.

Planned obsolesence gives you a valid-sounding reason to tell your spouse when they want to know why you *need* to upgrade
  • Reply 11 of 70
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

I've never had a problem with iOS4 on my 3Gs
  • Reply 12 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Exactly. I don't think most people care which version of the os they run. I had the original g3 and even though I had ios4 it didn't improve my experience. On the contrary. I half expect my ip4 to suddenly become 'old' when I upgrade to iOS5. Unless the new os has features that are important and badly needed / wanted, I would advice people not to upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

I would never trade my 3GS running iOS4 for one running iOS3. One major OS update is certainly a reasonable expectation, but given how well the 3G runs iOS4 (not well at all) I can see why they'd want to limit it to one major OS update.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Unlike the iPhone 3G, which always had serious performance issues, there is virtually no difference in performance between the 3GS and the 4.

While there are real technical issues that prevent, say, multitasking on the old 3G, there would be no reason that iOS 5 would not run just as well on the 3GS as the 4. Any decision to not support the 3GS is purely arbitrary.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) This is good news if true if one makes the logical step to infer IOS 5.0 will be a major overhaul.

1+) I remember a year ago when iOS 4.0 was announced and some people claimed Apple removed features from the iPhone 3G update to force users to buy a new iPhone, not because the features were more resource intensive. Later when some units were severely impaired by the update they claimed it was done on purpose to force users to by a new iPhone. I bet now they’ll claim iOS 5.0 would run just fine on the 3GS but Apple excluded it force users to by a new iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 70
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

On the contrary, Apple has always supported their phones to upgrade 2 operating systems forward. So for the original iPhone, it ran iOS3, but nothing beyond. Though iOS4 was scaled down for the 3G, it still ran a version of the OS. As a 3GS owner I'd be really dissapointed if there was no support at all. Apple's position on supporting it's products back 2 gens is something that really separates them for Android phones...Many of which are sold already a generation behind with no option to upgrade.

Like with iOS4, please included at least a scaled down version for 3GS users... Customer satisfaction is everything to Apple!

I don't know when it was put down in stone, but their stated and written policy is that when you buy a device, you get all the point upgrades, the next full upgrade, and all the point upgrades for that.

So ... 2 OS versions (including the one it ships with), and all the updates for each is all that they promise.

I wouldn't worry. It will run on the 3Gs. It will be crap performance and it won't be supported necessarily, but it will run.
  • Reply 16 of 70
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Good.

Now bring the new iPhone already!
  • Reply 18 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

Any decision to not support the 3GS is purely arbitrary.

There are aspects to the A4 we may not be aware of. For instance, aspects that are vital for iOS 5 or they don?t want another iPhone 3G performance issue.

One thing we do know about the iPhone 3GS is that is only has 256MB RAM compare to the 512MB RAM in the iPhone 4. I think we safely assume the next iPhone will have at least 512MB RAM. I also think the RAM limitation is enough evidence to question your "purely arbitrary? position.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    I hope this will only be a rumor. My iPhone 3GS works fine with iOS 4 (4.3.3). When iOS 4 debuted, the iPhone 3G, 3GS, and iPhone 4 was able to get it. I guessing when iOS 5 debuts, the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S/5 will be able to get it.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Exactly. I don't think most people care which version of the os they run.

That is until you want to install a new app from the store...

Quite frankly do declare a three year old phone/computer out of date is despicable. If you get/buy the phone subsidizes fine....whatever. But if you pay full price, I think I should get some slack. Plus the most important feature they omitted from that last iteration of iOs for the 3G was tethering...