Apple aims to improve iPad 2 availability with another backlight maker

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple continues to add component makers to expand production of the iPad 2, with a new report claiming the company will add a Taiwan-based backlight module maker.

Taiwan's Coretronic is rumored to become a supplier for the iPad, DigiTimes reported Wednesday. Coretronic is said to have made 35 percent of backlight units for LED TVs in the first quarter of calendar 2011, and that number is expected to grow to 40 percent.

Coretronic is said to now be looking to expand into the tablet market, specifically by supplying backlights for Apple's iPad. The company is reportedly working with Chimei innolux to provide backlight modules, but Chimei was only certified by Apple this month.

Founded in 1992, Coretronic now has more than 15,000 employees worldwide. It specializes in backlight modules and DLP projectors.

Wednesday's latest news is the second report to claim that Apple is adding backlight makers for iPad 2 production. Last month, another story from the Far East claimed that Apple was testing a new supplier in Everlight Electronics.

According to that report, Everlight electronics had delivered samples of its LED backlight products to Apple in hopes of becoming a component supplier for the iPad 2. It is unknown whether Everlight and Apple struck a deal.

Immediately after the iPad 2 arrived in the U.S. in March, some customers reported problems with LED backlight "bleeding" on the edges and in the corners of the display. Such defects, where white light "bleeds" onto the screen, are most noticeable when the screen is operational but dark, such as a dark scene in a movie.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple is wise to expand its supplier base not only from the view point of better products but also to ensure supply continuity. Be it natural or man made disasters, Apple has to know it can ride them out.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Smart move by Apple to keep up with the explosion in iPad demand.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I wish this came a bit sooner. I ordered an iPad for my mom last Thursday. She underwent some serious surgery this Monday and the recovery will take 2 months. During this time she has to lie down as much as possible. I figured an iPad would be the perfect iMac- replacement in this situation.

However, while the Apple site says 1-2 Weeks, estimated delivery is June 15th. A full 4 weeks after I ordered the iPad. So, the iPad will be a pretty late gift... It won't be there to fulfill her facebook and silly games-needs during the first weeks of recovery, but it'll still make her happy I guess...

I just wish Apple could make these things faster, dammit
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Smart move by Apple to keep up with the explosion in iPad demand.

I see what you did there. Naughty, naughty.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I wish this came a bit sooner. I ordered an iPad for my mom last Thursday. She underwent some serious surgery this Monday and the recovery will take 2 months. During this time she has to lie down as much as possible. I figured an iPad would be the perfect iMac- replacement in this situation.

However, while the Apple site says 1-2 Weeks, estimated delivery is June 15th. A full 4 weeks after I ordered the iPad. So, the iPad will be a pretty late gift... It won't be there to fulfill her facebook and silly games-needs during the first weeks of recovery, but it'll still make her happy I guess...

You may find better luck just go to a store not well advertised to have iPad and buy it off the shelf. I've seen my local Target store to have a few iPad2 in stock for several weeks now.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] Such defects, where white light "bleeds" onto the screen, are most noticeable when the screen is operational but dark, such as a dark scene in a movie.

That's because the paint wasn't opaque enough. Not because of any problem with the LED backlighting system.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I ordered a white 32 GIG wi-fi only on Sunday and it was shipped Monday.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I ordered a white 32 GIG wi-fi only on Sunday and it was shipped Monday.

Looks like Apple was being a bit conservative in my order. It shipped today. Expected delivery: June 8th... I guess they're being a bit conservative once again

Can't wait until it arrives. It'll be the perfect internet-device for my mom, and of course a great opportunity for me as well to get my feet wet in this iOS world.

It's not quite there yet for my personal use, but I can't wait to see what iOS5 will bring!