Apple's iPhone PR team reportedly inviting UK press to cover WWDC

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Representatives of Apple's iPhone public relations team are reportedly contacting British journalists in an effort to get them to attend the company's Worldwide Developer Conference keynote in early June.

According to a report by UK blog ElectricPig, Apple has been "approaching journalists from major publications" to encourage their attendance, ostensibly evidence that Apple plans to release new iPhone hardware.

The site speculates that Apple will release an interim iPhone 4S "as a stop-gap before the appearance of a true, ?&%!*, they?ve done it again!? game-changer next year."

However, the fact that Apple has postponed its customary March or April unveiling of its next iOS release, which has historically been followed by an actual release alongside new hardware about three months later, and instead appears poised to announce iOS 5 at WWDC in June strongly suggests that Apple will actually release the new software and new hardware to run it around September this year.

Without any current standout in smartphone competition for iPhone 4, Apple appears interested in promoting new advances in iOS 5, which is expected to include improved MobileMe services supplying a cloud locker for personal music, photos and videos as well as voice integration with user assistance services based on the acquired Siri product.

The WWDC keynote on June 6 will deliver "a preview of the future of iOS and Mac OS X," Apple suggests on its event webpage. In addition to iOS 5, the company is expected to detail more about the upcoming release of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and the Server software it now incorporates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It just struck me that June 6 is pretty soon.

Inviting the press.. Isn't that what they always do for a keynote?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    "ostensibly evidence"

You used an adverb before a noun. It should be "ostensibly evidencing" or "ostensible evidence" or something like that...
  • Reply 3 of 38
    munglermungler Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

"ostensibly evidence"

You used an adverb before a noun. It should be "ostensibly evidencing" or "ostensible evidence" or something like that...

Uh oh, grammar-nazi alert. Actually, i believe its correct, and is accepted shorthand for 'this is ostensibly evidence that....'.

Another example: "Paul found another man's underwear in his girlfriend's bed, ostensibly evidence that she'd been unfaithful."

I mean, i'm not saying its totally 100% correct grammar, but I think its pretty standard.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

"ostensibly evidence"

This is nitpicking. AI has terrible copy editing generally, this is the least of their sins! lol
  • Reply 5 of 38
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    I don't see why it is any indication of a new iPhone that the British press are being invited by the iPhone PR team. We are expecting an overview of iOS5, which is clearly the domain of the iPhone PR team regardless of whether or not there will be new hardware.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    This might just be the first time I will skip a generation of iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    darrylk1darrylk1 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mungler View Post

Uh oh, grammar-nazi alert. Actually, i believe its correct, and is accepted shorthand for 'this is ostensibly evidence that....'.

Another example: "Paul found another man's underwear in his girlfriend's bed, ostensibly evidence that she'd been unfaithful."

I mean, i'm not saying its totally 100% correct grammar, but I think its pretty standard.

It's also pretty standard to use an apostrophe when shortening 'it is'.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darrylk1 View Post

It's also pretty standard to use an apostrophe when shortening 'it is'.

Yeah, well done. You 'win'.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Quote:

I feel sorry for Paul he must be

Quote:

Without any current standout in smartphone competition for iPhone 4

I'm sure the fandroids are going to start posting soon challenging that statement.

I skipped iP4 so am hoping for a iP4S or iP5 with the same specs as the iPad2 64GB 3G+WiFi model.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    justfinejustfine Posts: 61member
    Quote:

Twice (see your follow up post) you have used "its" when you mean "it's", the contraction which translates as "it is". Correct grammar does not equate with Nazism or Fascism merely a modicum of intelligence and education as well as a desire to not sound as if one is a boorish clod.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

Twice (see your follow up post) you have used "its" when you mean "it's", the contraction which translates as "it is". Correct grammar does not equate with Nazism or Fascism merely a modicum of intelligence and education as well as a desire to not sound as if one is a boorish clod.

*yawn* boooooring *yawn*
  • Reply 13 of 38
    neebongneebong Posts: 12member
    Could be RFID related, as in the last couple of weeks there have been loads of places pushing the contactless payment system..

Orange in the UK is now actively promoting it... albeit with a Samsung hanset
  • Reply 14 of 38
    sciwizsciwiz Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Without any current standout in smartphone competition for iPhone 4

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

I'm sure the fandroids are going to start posting soon challenging that statement.

Happy to oblige.

Samsung Galaxy S 2

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Engadget

For a handset with such a broad range of standout features and specs, the Galaxy S II is remarkably easy to summarize. It's the best Android smartphone yet, but more importantly, it might well be the best smartphone, period.

• Reply 15 of 38
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

oh yeah. and a certain element of professionalism. it's not like these guys are thirteen year-old fanboys "writing" from their mom's basement. (are they?)

if you want to be taken seriously, ai, then you might want to invest in a proof-reader fanboy-friend or the equivalent. i'm amazed that this crap (and sometimes it is crap) gets aggregated on the bigger sites.

"professionalism isn't dead; ai is."
  • Reply 16 of 38
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Be patient the best is yet to come. We all know Apple and the wait is usually worth the product
  • Reply 17 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Happy to oblige.

Samsung Galaxy S 2

That’s a nice Android phone but I can’t agree with it being the best smartphone. I’d rather go for a WP&-based device over Android if I couldn’t have an iPhone.

It’s interesting how Samsung measures their device. It’s thickness (i.e., depth) is being measured at the thinnest part to claim the crown of the thinnest smartphone, yet the entire bottom portion is as thick as the iPhone 4. Apple’s 2nd and 3rd iPhone were thicker at apex than the original iPhone which had a flat back but they didn’t say it was mostly thinner. They just listed the thickest part.

They have a 960x540 resolution OLED display which is pretty close to the iPhone 4. However, it’s a 4.3” display which brings the pixels down to 218ppi compared to the 326ppi of the iPhone 4. I wonder how that affects the look? Can you make out the pixels? Is that resolution based on sub-pixels or true pixels?

The HW specs look good but I’ll wait until a thorough testing can be done. A site like AnandTech, not End gadget. They didn’t even do a battery of tests on the battery… which I think is a very important aspect for a smartphone.

I know there is only the iPhone 4 in which to measure new smartphones but I think we should expect an A5 in the next iPhone which may completely blow past any new Android phones if the Motorola Xoom compared to the iPad 2 is any consideration of a potential trend.

edit: The 3 million pre-orders is impressive. What’s the price? I can’t find it. The best I can find is a UK price of $966.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Nah, we have Olympic next year so I presume whatever related to iOS or iPhone must be a 'a dead useful - why don't anybody think of that' set of features possibly advance contactless payment, event booking and navigationally-influence OS backbone at root level.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Without any standout competitor to IP4? I don't know about that.

New Android phones support LTE and duo-core will become the norm before the start of 2012. 5MP cameras are so yesterday. Apple may want the world to believe it's not all about technical specs. But perception is 90% of the battle. If Android phone makers can create the perception that iP4 or iP4S is notably slower on multiple fronts, Apple will have a serious problem.

Furthermore, Ice Cream Sandwich and duo-core processors will allow more and more Android phones to play Flash smoothly. This will guarantee a larger % of smartphone market will stay away from Apple just because of such technical reasons.

All to say, not only is there serious competition emerging for iP4, it is in fact on the verge of falling significantly behind. 4S or 5, the A5 processor needs to be there. As does a higher resolution camera. If they don't change the look in some way, those who don't like the current glass back, or those who distrust the antenna will stay away, in droves.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

It just struck me that June 6 is pretty soon.

Inviting the press.. Isn't that what they always do for a keynote?

Not exactly. For these events, they typically invite a filtered list of Apple-friendly tech journalists and bloggers. If this story has merit (90% of the time, it's hot air), then Apple is expanding that circle for a special reason.