AT&T will bring 4G LTE to 70M customers in 15 markets by end of 2011

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    San Francisco only has about 780,000 residents, though there are certainly over 1 million people within city limits during the normal day.

Topography is also a big hurdle to overcome there, with all the hills and plenty of large masonry and concrete buildings to absorb signal. But yes, misguided NIMBYism is the biggest obstacle to having better ATTWS coverage in this town.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

The network state right now, doesn't justify such a large price tag. Surely 75 Billion would have yielded better results than what is know to exist now.

Sure have a LOT of 3G network engineers on this thread who know how much it costs to build a network. I wonder why so many of ATT's and Verizon's executives post on this forum?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:

By the "new" definition of the world's broadband welfare state(AKA the united states) for 4(non-existantG), As long as your new Tech has partial IP architecture, faster speeds, and different frequencies than 3G bands...your good to go.

And as for overseas, I'm pretty sure you'll be locked down to 3G bands. Of course this isn't assuming that AT&T's purchase of T-mobile sets it on very nice terms with Deutsche Telekom. Or unless the area you venture into hasn't got LTE rolled out yet of course.

Well, for the most part it won't matter to me as I live and work in Europe which will be getting the "real" initial, non-bastardized, US version of 4G. My main question is will Apple plan and provide for real 4G or equip their phones with Crap(G)?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

The bigger question is: what version of Crap(G) is this? Will these phones work on real 4G networks in Europe or the rest of the world or this an AT&T only party?

Who cares? The bloody phone is still locked to AT&T. Edit: OK I understand what you're saying... though I can't imagine Apple making a different version of iPhone 5 LTE for Europe. Hopefully the baseband chip will take care of all if this... Hence a 2012 4G iPhone at the earliest.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

74 billion went to lawyer fees, building permits, land purchase, bribes, lobbying, advertising, etc. The other billion bought a couple towers in Texas.

That sounds about right...
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Who cares? The bloody phone is still locked to AT&T. Edit: OK I understand what you're saying... though I can't imagine Apple making a different version of iPhone 5 LTE for Europe. Hopefully the baseband chip will take care of all if this... Hence a 2012 4G iPhone at the earliest.

Mine won't be like all of the iPhones I've legally purchased. Just because your operator sucks doesn't mean the rest do. Sorry you live in locked up cellular bubble, some of us don't.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I call BS. If you put down 75 Billion into your own infrastructure and STILL have a 5% dropped call rate, the highest in the nation, while simultaneously having the nations 2nd largest network, you are a failure of a provider, and are sincerely lucky to be here today.

Quote:

The network state right now, doesn't justify such a large price tag. Surely 75 Billion would have yielded better results than what is know to exist now.

Based on what?

It's really amazing how a bunch of anonymous posters on AI will accuse a Fortune 100 company of outright lying - which happens to be a felony if a public company knowingly lies on a material matter.

So who should we believe? AT&T (where the execs can go to jail for lying) or some moron on AI who obviously isn't in any position to know how much AT&T really spent?

What's with you people?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Based on what?

It's really amazing how a bunch of anonymous posters on AI will accuse a Fortune 100 company of outright lying - which happens to be a felony if a public company knowingly lies on a material matter.

So who should we believe? AT&T (where the execs can go to jail for lying) or some moron on AI who obviously isn't in any position to know how much AT&T really spent?

What's with you people?

Wait, that's right, Bush, Chaney, Rumsfeld, Rice, et al didn't lie. No way....

Sorry dude but your post is the dumbest yet. You might want to rethink your argument.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Based on what?

What's with you people?

Of course, how could I be so ignorant?

What logical reason should I have to not believe a company who:

Had to be broken up for a monopoly on landlines

Is known for being extravagantly Anti consumer

Is rated the worst carrier in the industry for multiple years in a row

Is known to surcharge it's customers much more frequently than other carriers

And is known for downright breach of contract.

Yea, real honest company you got there
  • Reply 30 of 31
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Sure have a LOT of 3G network engineers on this thread who know how much it costs to build a network. I wonder why so many of ATT's and Verizon's executives post on this forum?

The average cost of putting up a cellphone tower itself is $150,000. Zoning licenses and permits will NOT jump the cost up to some ridiculous number which cannot be made back.

AT&T has anywhere in between 40-200mhz MORE than verizon in 20 of the 21 top markets in the US.

There is NO excuse why we haven't seen improvement.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Mine won't be like all of the iPhones I've legally purchased. Just because your operator sucks doesn't mean the rest do. Sorry you live in locked up cellular bubble, some of us don't.

I'm not in the US mate. Thank goodness I get legally officially unlocked phones where I am as well. The point remains, the first LTE iPhone will be designed to work on ATT, with possibly a separate model for Verizon. Compatibility of these two types of LTE iPhones with other LTE markets will vary.