Apple rumored to add widgets, revamped notifications to iOS 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will unveil a new version of its mobile operating system, iOS 5, at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, featuring widgets and a revamped notification system, a new report claims. . .

Sources also reportedly indicated that the new licensing deal with Nuance for voice recognition will not play a part in the "Voice Control" feature of Apple's mobile operating system.

"That's odd since it's perhaps the most obvious usage," Siegler wrote. "But apparently, in the builds of iOS 5 currently being tested, the little-used feature hasn't changed at all, we hear."

The report noted that Nuance technology could eventually make its way into iOS Voice Control, but relayed a rumor that the licensing deal is meant for "bigger things more core to the OS than that one feature."

Back in February, The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple was working on "voice navigation" technology for the next major update to iOS. And another report from The New York Times claimed that Apple would enhance operation of iOS devices through voice commands because some users dislike using a virtual keyboard.

TechCrunch did an article on what to expect from the Nuance partnership back on May 9th. Sounds completely plausible to me:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/09/app...a-center-deal/
  • Reply 22 of 115
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Here are 10 features that I would like to see...

1. New cool finger gestures

2. Widgets a la OS X.

3. Seamless iCloud integration (audio, video, pictures, custom data etc...)

4. Updated and feature rich mapping application based on new Apple backend.

5. New voice search based on artificial intelligence & Siri+Nuance technology in the backend.

6. A whole new Web development framework based on html5 + WebObjects + Cocoa.

7. Handwriting recognition using patented stylus or fingers.

8. Revamped Apple applications suites (more advanced features with new gestures)

9. Cloud based printing support

10. NFC to support a variety of ID and Payment systems.

If feature 4 & 5 are implemented in both iOS and Mac OS, they could be a Google killer.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 23 of 115
    I'm just hoping for information sharing to be streamlined across the whole OS. If I come across an address in ANY app, I should be able to open it in ANY other app I want to (Maps, GPS, Local Search, anything)...
  • Reply 24 of 115
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Its about time so I applaud this move. I like the idea of widgets on the front and only getting at apps when I want to.

Buy a WP7 or android phone then. I really really like it on my phone, but unless Apple overhall their interface it will just be an inferior version.
  • Reply 25 of 115
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Another Foxconn worker has committed suicide.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386052,00.asp
  • Reply 26 of 115
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    I would rather see Apple change their rules to allow more customization through Apps. It's simply ridiculous that we can't get number blocking features unless we jailbreak.
  • Reply 27 of 115
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I honestly hope they don't do widgets. iOS doesn't need to be any more cluttered than it is now. Mostly I want better file management.

I agree. And with the file management they also need a micro SD card slot in future versions of iPad. I've often wanted to transfer large files with collegues and I don't want to go through a network. Also, storage for video and photos and the ability to transfer those videos and photos easily would be nice. Apple could make it operate like an external drive and not allow itunes to play music or videos from it. An SD slot is so useful, Apple should figure out how to make it happen while maintaining their same business model.
  • Reply 28 of 115
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Perhaps the lock screen could swipe between different states as the springboard does, so you could have a weather forecast 'widget' (most useful for me as I cycle/run a lot), missed calls/emails/sms, quick access to power saving settings, like wifi 3g bt, etc (although this is starting to get a little nerdy). More a nice to have but these are the types of things I would be interested in.

The only time I find the notifications system irritating is when I've missed multiple texts. Because then I have to burrow through the Os to get to the messaging to read my messages. Why the lock screen can't just queue the notifications so I can read my texts without unlocking the device just doesn't make sense. However, I don't have push notifications turned on so maybe I don't suffer the shortcomings of notifications so much.
  • Reply 29 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I think I'm thr only one who thinks it'd be awesome of Apple ported the Dashboard app for OS X to iOS for the iPad.

If Apple is serious about iCloud, your personal widgets settings should be synced between iPad, iPhone, and OS X devices (but of course customizable for a particular device).

I predict we will start to see a lot of things between iOS and OSX look alike and be synced. What makes the iPad and iPhone so successful in business is Active Sync. Without it, Apple wouldn't be selling anything in the corporate realm.

Moving to the cloud is all about having your information available and synced on multiple devices.
  • Reply 30 of 115
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Quote:

I honestly hope they don't do widgets. iOS doesn't need to be any more cluttered than it is now. Mostly I want better file management.

Widgets are useful from within any application. If you are using a word processor or a reading a book or web page would you prefer to exit the application to launch a dictionary to check the meaning of a word or would you rather have a widget?

What about widgets for a calendar, calculator, weather etc...

Widgets make a lot of sense. You don't have to use them if you don't want to.

For example, many people don't know yet about the 4 or 5 finger multi tasking gestures on the iPad today. But they're there... quietly...

Time will tell.
  • Reply 31 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

If feature 4 & 5 are implemented in both iOS and Mac OS, they could be a Google killer.

Nothing Apple could do would kill Android. Apple produces products for the mid level and high end markets. It makes no attempt to compete in the market for piece of shit devices. Android is free. It will always be the OS of choice for POS devices.

A lot of people think Apple killed Symbian. I would argue that Google did. Some people were surprised when Nokia joined with Microsoft instead of Google. It didn't surprise me at all. I think Nokia recognized who their real devil was and didn't want to facilitate them, even if it meant putting Apple in a stronger position. I can't wait to see if Nokia-MS can take on Android. I'm sure HP will join the fray with webOS. Its going to be a blood bath in the low end market.

At some point, a winner may emerge from the low end market (and it won't be Apple because Apple won't compete). When development slows the low end market may take over the high end market (it usually does with electronics). I'm sure I'll make a boat load of money off my Apple stock before that happens. However, if Apple wants to take over the whole market (which so far they say they don't) they will have to sell to the low end market. How could it be any other way?
  • Reply 32 of 115
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Widgets are useful from within any application. If you are using a word processor or a reading a book or web page would you prefer to exit the application to launch a dictionary to check the meaning of a word or would you rather have a widget?

on a desktop OS it might make sense for some (I never saw the point but to each their own) but what exactly would the difference between a widget and an application be? How would launching a dictionary widget differ from launching a dictionary app in iOS to warrent a dsitinction?

Now customization of the lock screen, wifi sync, improved notifications (at least the ability to see some sort of history), better and more ubiquitous voice control - those are things that I get interested in. Some abitrary classification of lightweight app in an OS that is already composed of lightweight and fast launching/switching apps just seems like daft pedantism running amok.
  • Reply 33 of 115
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:

"Additional clutter" is no reason to exclude useful new features to an OS or application. Good UI design makes useful features apparent without the interface looking like a clusterf***.

If iOS 5 actually does not support the iPhone 3GS, I would like to see Apple redesign the home screen to take better advantage of the additional horsepower and display resolution.
  • Reply 34 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Another Foxconn worker has committed suicide.

"I'll take Tasteless and irrelevant exploitation of human tragedy to make my own weak political statement for $500, Alex"

• Reply 35 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

However, if Apple wants to take over the whole market (which so far they say they don't) they will have to sell to the low end market. How could it be any other way?

Like the iPod they will move lower after they have taken over the high end, then the middle. Heck, they $50 3Gs is quite a steal, and the iPod touch is a pretty amazing deal. If their cloud stuff takes off, I could see lower capacity and cheaper devices moving into the low end - and then some!

As for low end in tablets, Apple is already there!
  • Reply 36 of 115
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

What about widgets for a calendar, calculator, weather etc...

Widgets make a lot of sense. You don't have to use them if you don't want to.

For example, many people don't know yet about the 4 or 5 finger multi tasking gestures on the iPad today. But they're there... quietly...

Time will tell.

So you're saying they'd operate like Dashboard in an overlay or something? I was thinking of Android-like widgets where they'd be on the home screen. I'm not sure if that would work either. There's definitely a need for simple universal tools on the iPad at least.
  • Reply 37 of 115
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Do not need widgets, but notifications should improve. App launcher is a perfect concept, I don't need rain and windshield wipers eating up my battery and taking up half the screen.
  • Reply 38 of 115
    One feature of notification that I want for the next iPhone, is a visible notification, when the screen is off, about missed calls, received SMSs and so forth. This can easily be done in several ways, either by showing such information on dim (but readable) screen, or by some lights in small holes that are turned on when such events occur.
  • Reply 39 of 115
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

I think there will be at least "100 new features"

Re Android circa 2009 - really? Rose tinted much?

How many of those new features will be useful to everyday users and how many will be things that only developers have any use for? As an end user, I don't care about the hundreds of things a developer can do when I'm still getting interrupted playing a game every time someone texts.

As for me having rose-tinted glasses, you should check my posting history. I hate Google and refuse to support anything with their name on it (other than YouTube...). My problem is it pisses me off to see them leaping ahead of Apple in a field Apple damn near created. I want Apple to succeed and I want them to wow me, but they seem to be content with going along at a snail's pace and being left behind.
  • Reply 40 of 115
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Different strokes. I just went from iOS to Android and I'm very happy with how the notifications work. I like how, if it's a text or IM, the message non-intrusively appears in the notification bar. If I miss that, the list of icons shows exactly what alerts are waiting, and being able to pull down the tray to access them at any time is fantastic.

The Pre handles it well too, no doubt, but it is a little intrusive, though it does provide immediate access to several options, which is nice.

I used to have a Pre and I didn't like the notifications much with it. The screen was so small, I'd often hit an icon I didn't mean to hit on the notification area at the bottom of the screen.