Samsung files motion to see Apple's next iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rothgarr View Post

smitty, have you read the facts about that image? (and how inaccurate it is):

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ung_first.html

+1 .
  • Reply 22 of 127
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    nice, you guys made smithy look like a right tit. should have checked the facts before posting crap
  • Reply 23 of 127
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    it's time for apple to cut samsung loose. the samsung manufacturing arm is much easier to replace than the apple technical and selling machine. samsung can try and replace apple with droid.

there is a quality chip and display company on virtually every corner. every supplier, worldwide, would love to displace samsung as a component supplier.

and apple has the cash to do it. samsung may have large sales, but their net cash and net profits are in a different and much lower world than apple.
  • Reply 24 of 127
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Basically Samsung is saying: "Let us get an earlier start on cloning your IP Apple. We are too stupid to do anything on our own and need you to show us how to make phones and tablets."

They are asking that their lawyers only would see the products, as a counter to that notion.

However, I can't really see a judge allowing it. Apple's lawyers are being allowed to see the products because they could be evidence of a blatant and continuous practice of copying Apple's trade dress. Samsung is suing for patent violations on tech in the existing phones. Seeing the new products really has nothing to do with their case. Now if they were to ask to be allowed to have iOS 5 examined to see if the offending tech was included that would be different

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It doesn't make sense. Apple is accusing them of copying. How could they have copied products they haven't seen yet? Apple are accusing them of copying their current products, and that is all they need to see to defend themselves.

Yes and no. Apple's argument is that Samsung has made a definite practice of copying Apple's "Look and Feel" (which can and is trademarked). The judge is allowing their lawyers to see the not yet released products because if they look highly similar to Apple products that adds to the weight of the notion that it is a firm practice and not an accident.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Surely no one expects Apple to show Samsung's lawyers what it has planned for the future just so Samsung's lawyers can safely defend their client. I doubt Apple's lawyers have any idea what the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 will be like. Heck, I bet only a handful of people at Apple have a clue of the entire device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

This counter suit started because Apple demanded to see their as-of-yet unreleased products like the Galaxy S II, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and Galaxy Tab 8.9 products.

All these products are NOT ON THE MARKET YET. The same can be said of the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3. The only difference is that the Apple's products just wasnt ANNOUNCED.

What Samsung is requesting is the same request made by Apple in the first request.

An eye for an eye to be fair.

Dont blame it on Samsung.

1) Who else should be blame for Samsung wanting to see Apple'd unannounced kit?

2) I think there is a huge difference between announced, spec'd and demoed devices v. merely rumored devices.

• Reply 26 of 127
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

Well, we do know MS Paint doesn't have grammar check.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:

This counter suit started because Apple demanded to see their as-of-yet unreleased products like the Galaxy S II, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and Galaxy Tab 8.9 products.

All these products are NOT ON THE MARKET YET. The same can be said of the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3. The only difference is that the Apple's products just wasnt ANNOUNCED.

What Samsung is requesting is the same request made by Apple in the first request.

Actually thats incorrect. Samsung was only ordered to share its products with Apple because Samsung has shown them off so much that the judge ruled they were already in the public domain.

iPad 3 and iPhone 5 have not been shown in public and therefore are not subject to the same scrutiny.

Sorry Samsung, better luck next time!!
  • Reply 28 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well, we do know MS Paint doesn't have grammar check.

One day computers will evolve past spelling, grammar and punctuation check to actually have fact check at which point Windows will collapse in on itself.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I am not sure you know what is going on. Apple sued Samsung. Samsung countersued Apple right away BEFORE Apple filed a Motion to Compel Access to Samsung's upcoming products. Further, Apple is suing Apple under patent, trade dress, trademark, and unfair business practice grounds. Essentially, Apple is claiming Samsung stole the look and feel of its OS and hardware. Samsung is claiming Apple infringed some patents related to the way phones work. Samsung's counterclaim has nothing to do with the look of the Apple's product.

Since Apple is seeking to enjoin Samsung from bringing to market already announced products that Apple thinks copy its products look and feel, it only makes sense that Apple would be able to evaluate the upcoming products to make its argument that these products infringe on Apple's intellectual property.

Since Samsung's claims against Apple have nothing to do with the look and feel of Apple's devices and are based on products that are shipping, there is no reason Samsung would need to see an unannounced Apple product.

Moreover, if Samsung is found liable, a Court is more likely to require Samsung to stop shipping a product because of the nature of Apple's claims. If Samsung wins, a Court most likely wouldn't do anything more then award Samsung damages without preventing Apple from shipping product.

Quote:

It's Apple who started the petition to request future products to be viewed by their appropriate lawyers.

On another thought, it looks as if both companies are not going to settle out of court. I hope I see this battle to the end. This is going to be fun. Popcorn at the ready.

Samsung is just too big to gobble up.

Its a conglomerate that produces 25% of the entire GDP of South Korea.

• Reply 30 of 127
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

One day computers will evolve past spelling, grammar and punctuation check to actually have fact check at which point Windows will collapse in on itself.

But then your posts would also disintegrate....
  • Reply 31 of 127
    hahahhaha Samsung, that is "quite smooth"
  • Reply 32 of 127
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    @smitty5569

This is why Apple is suing Samsung...

Samsung even used a sunflower for their Gallery icon.

And why use a flower anyway? Samsung didn't even attempt to look for another icon for Gallery... that's about as lazy as you can get!

• Reply 33 of 127
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Galbi doesn't care what's going on, he's as a robotic "whatever Apple does the opposite is good" poster as we've ever had. Which means that hilarity often ensues, since if Apple cured cancer he'd argue for the tumor.

In this case he's basically imagining that the legal system is a tit for tat arrangement, so that if I sue someone for theft it's only right and logical that they sue me for theft, and I shouldn't squawk because I started it. Like I say: reliably hilarious.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

@smitty5569

This is why Apple is suing Samsung...

Samsung even used a sunflower for their Gallery icon.

And why use a flower anyway? Samsung didn't even attempt to look for another icon for Gallery... that's about as lazy as you can get!

Awesome. I love the smell of burning brains in the morning.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    Um, this is like a playground fight? Its a total weak response from Apple's "pls show me that you won't rip us off again" and Samsung responding "no you show me"

Do you think Apple can learn anything from Samsung? Nope. Do you think Samsung can learn from Apple, you bet.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    @Rothgarr

My old Palm Pilot = Samsung's F700.

However I can't see where iPhone's interface is related to the Palm Pilot. Go figure.
  • Reply 37 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

The image is clearly doctored. In fact, the same hand model is holding both products. Photoshop much?
  • Reply 38 of 127
    "This is my next feature"...?

What does that mean?

(I'm referring to Michael Scrip's post 6 above this one)
  • Reply 39 of 127
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"This is my next feature"...?

What does that mean?

(I'm referring to Michael Scrip's post 6 above this one)

i got the pics from thisismynext.com

http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/19/a...sung-analysis/
  • Reply 40 of 127
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member
    The only thing Samsung will get to "see" is Steve's middle finger