Canadian Wildfires

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I never realized it could happen, but a large fire is actually changing our weather. The sun is fairly blocked out- it's one of those 'dangerous' suns that you can look at head on but you're not supposed to.

Here is the satellite picture if anyone is interested:

The red 'dots' in Canada represent the fires.

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Shortsighted environmentalists forgot that forest fires were a vital part of nature's balance. Whoops.

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: BR ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Blame Canada.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    [quote]Shortsighted environmentalists forgot that forest fires were a vital part of nature's balance. Whoops.<hr></blockquote>

That's an absolutely idiotic comment. A wide range of people supported fire suppression for decades. It's a legacy of a more simplistic understanding of fire being bad by everyone in the political spectrum. The people on the forefront of that change were biologists and environmentalists who learned from the 89 Yellowstone fires. Moreover, in the US the policies for forests have certainly not been dictated by environmentalists. Most of the decision makers at the USFS and the Dept of Agriculture over the last fifty years have been anything but environmentalists.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath:

[QB]

That's an absolutely idiotic comment. <hr></blockquote>

Not really. All I remember hearing from many of them was that fire was bad. Nope. Fire is part of nature.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm all for environmentalism. I'm all for hybrid cars and getting off oil. I'm for saving the rainforest. I am against saving the whales though. We should kill all the whales. That's another topic though.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]All I remember hearing from many of them was that fire was bad.<hr></blockquote>

You're everywhere!

Muslims, environmentalists... you're tapped right in.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    On the subject of wildfires...

I was watching PBS a couple of weeks ago, and there was a NOVA about the 2000 fire season. It was the first time I have seen anything on TV that accurately explains fire's role in the environment, our continents history with fire (pre-Columbus), and how we managed to get ourselves into the situation that we are in. I don't know if your PBS station shows NOVA or not, and whether they show NOVA reruns, or even if NOVA is shown in Canada, but if you are interested in the subject, keep your eyes out for it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I used to live in CT. Looks like its getting quite a bit of smoke.

IMO, I think we should let loggers into forests to thin them out and maybe even cut fire break lines.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>I used to live in CT. Looks like its getting quite a bit of smoke.

IMO, I think we should let loggers into forests to thin them out and maybe even cut fire break lines.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you mean to cut fire lines to stop these fires? If so, I think CT is pretty safe. Those fires are pretty far away. What you said about thinning the forests is right on though. Thinning and burning is probably the best way to prevent wild fires from getting out of hand. Thin the forests and then set controlled burns in them. When done properly it can keep wildfires like you see in the American west this summer at bay.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

Do you mean to cut fire lines to stop these fires? If so, I think CT is pretty safe. Those fires are pretty far away. What you said about thinning the forests is right on though. Thinning and burning is probably the best way to prevent wild fires from getting out of hand. Thin the forests and then set controlled burns in them. When done properly it can keep wildfires like you see in the American west this summer at bay.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Every tree isn't sacred. Nature never intended it to be that way. Fires would occur naturally and thin the forests so we would avoid such disasters that we have seen in Arizona, Colorado, and now Canada. Unfortunately we were too misguided and decided to put out all of the naturally occuring fires, disrupting the balance of nature. That's what we get for being ignorant.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I woke up the other morning and everything was a deep yellow. The smoke had created a filter for the sun, making everything yellow. It was really weird.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    [quote] I woke up the other morning and everything was a deep yellow. The smoke had created a filter for the sun, making everything yellow. It was really weird.<hr></blockquote>

That happened when I was in grade 4 or something. Forest fires in Quebec.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    blame canada blame canada blame canada

**** off yanks

Pres
  • Reply 13 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah that smoke really sucked... i went out on my friend's boat to oyster bay... it woulda been a really nice day, but it looked overcast insead...

we saw the red sun also and heard reports over the boat's radio about the canadian fires that caused the clouds.. we could even smell the smoke... it was crazy.. damn canucks...

you can see the pics <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/psantora420/PhotoAlbum9.html"; target="_blank">here</a> i cropped out most of the pics with the sun and smoky sky, but it woulda been 1000Xs better if it was really sunny out... :/ oh well

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>