If you could leave Earth, would you?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What if you had a chance to leave everything behind and travel among the stars in a space ark or ship? Would you leave it all? Not knowing what laid ahead or if you would even see your family again? Only people in your immediate family would be allowed to go with you; your spouse & kids.

You would have to live with a select few for god knows how many years on a ship with no more than 50 or so square acres of living space that you would need to share with other people, plants for food and processing plants. You would have to work as part of the whole hive. Your final destination will most likely not be achieved in your lifetime. (But you would go down in the history books. ) The purpose of this voyage would be to find a planet suitable for humans to terraform and live on.

Would you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I forgot:

I would.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>What if you had a chance to leave everything behind and travel among the stars in a space ark or ship? Would you leave it all? Not knowing what laid ahead or if you would even see your family again? Only people in your immediate family would be allowed to go with you; your spouse & kids.

You would have to live with a select few for god knows how many years on a ship with no more than 50 or so square acres of living space that you would need to share with other people, plants for food and processing plants. You would have to work as part of the whole hive. Your final destination will most likely not be achieved in your lifetime. (But you would go down in the history books. ) The purpose of this voyage would be to find a planet suitable for humans to terraform and live on.

Would you?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sign me up--as long as religion is left on earth.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    no way jose. going down in history down mean squat after my only chance to live is wasted in some metal.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Do they have teh intarweb in space?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Only if the chicks on the spaceship were as hot as the ones from the Lost in Space movie.

Yeah I've got my priorites straight
  • Reply 6 of 29
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    If all I get is "going down in the history books", no way. If on the other hand, the new worlds / galaxies were reached within my useful lifetime and I could experience a little bit of the new world(s), you bet.

As far as companionship, I would require that I be allowed to bring at least two women along with me so I always had one available for inter-stellar booty calls during those idle times between planets.

• Reply 7 of 29
    Would there be a holodeck?

Probably can't bring my car either, huh?

No, thanks. But bring me back a cool souvenir, not just one of those, "My buddy went to the Rigel Nebula, and all I got..." t-shirts.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    depends on my family...i would love to go personally, but i'm pretty sure neither my wife nor my children would want to...so i wouldn't...now if it a few years from now and my kids are off and living their lives and i could convince my wife to go, i would love to...g

then again, couldn't leave the kids even then...sadly, i guess not.....
  • Reply 9 of 29
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    It depends. if THEY are on their way here then it kinda doesn't make sense to go spacewards. If not then yeah, no way I'd wanna stay on this stinking cesspit of a planet.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    If it were a quick sort of "through the wormhole" trip, and if I were able to pick the people going with me, perhaps yes. It would provide an opportunity to start a enlightened nation, which would someday leave Old Earth behind.

Heavy allusions here. . . .
  • Reply 11 of 29
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    hell yeah. no way would i pass up that opportunity. fer people like me, going to space would be a dream come true. hell, i would gladly volunteer if we were to colonize the moon or mars, other moons, etc.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    s far as companionship, I would require that I be allowed to bring at least two women along with me so I always had one available for inter-stellar booty calls during those idle times between planets.

Hell yeah. In space no one can hear you scream*.

*for joy.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    No. I've adapted to earth, anywhere else wouldn't work...I'm sure there'd be so many perceptive changes I'd freak out
  • Reply 14 of 29
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I've come to the conclusion that space exploration past hubble-type things is a useless money pit.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    i have always known that i will leave this planet.

return trip or not never clear, but outbound yep.

the follow up question that then sticks is where?

<a href="http://www.obspm.fr/encycl/encycl.html"; target="_blank">Extrasolar Planets Encyclopedia</a> now over 100 known planets... [[great java-based star + planet finder maps for northern or southern hemisphere too from

<a href="http://www.generation.net/~mariob/astro/exoplan/intro-e.htm"; target="_blank">Sky Maps of Extrasolar Planets</a>]]

&lt;&lt; chunky and slow renderings of known planetary systems ( from <a href="http://www.space.com"; target="_blank">www.space.com</a> ) removed... &gt;&gt;

of course, the Roddenberry fans among us will note that Epsilon Eridani is on the list of astronomically confirmed planetary systems. According to Gene (long before the planetary searchers started looking), the homeworld of the Vulcans was around a minor star in Eridani.

pencil me in for the extra legroom and window seat

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited to remove images by: curiousuburb ]

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: curiousuburb ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 29
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Curious thought.

If we cant leave to find another planet, Why don't we bring another planet here?
  • Reply 17 of 29
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Artman @_@ ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 29
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I would. In a heartbeat.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Get back to me in November 2004. I'll let you know then.

• Reply 20 of 29
    You wise guy!