Mac Pro Applecare replacement help 2008 v 2011

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I've been given today by Applecare a replacement mac pro for my previous mac pro they couldn't fix. Thing is I not convinced it's a like for like replacement.

Original mac is a octo 3.2 Harpertown, replacement is a 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon ?Nehalem?

I did try and point out in store but they kept saying it will "fly" compared to my old mac, which did everything perfectly.

All the comparison graphs point to the 3.2 but is that a valid argument if I go back to Apple?

I've got a 14 day cooling off period to make up my mind.

Hopefully someone can tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Unless you're using applications that have any sort of benefit whatsoever from using eight cores, the new machine is faster.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    edtogedtog Posts: 4member
    I'm a photographer and mainly use Capture One, which hammers the CPU's and Photoshop.

Main reason I originally went for the 3.2 was it CPU power for Capture One.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edtog View Post

I'm a photographer and mainly use Capture One, which hammers the CPU's and Photoshop.

Main reason I originally went for the 3.2 was it CPU power for Capture One.

Oh, please Your old machine was a 3.2 GHz Mac Pro (Early 2008). Its GeekBench benchmark score was 8565. Your new computer is a 2.8 GHz Mac Pro (Mid 2010). Its GeekBench benchmark score is 8839. My experience with AppleCare is that it will replace a defective computer with one of equal or better value. It could not replace your three-year-old computer with the same model. It chose to provide you with a slightly better computer. Your replacement computer has a higher GeekBench score than your old computer. You may find AppleCare's choice to be unsatisfactory. That is your choice.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    http://www.barefeats.com/wst10.html

Now I'm confused, sorry, are there other benchmarks to look, this is what I based my opening post on, the 3.2 Harpertown is 30% up on the 4c Nehalem 2.80, or should other things be taken in consideration?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Now I'm confused, sorry, are there other benchmarks to look, this is what I based my opening post on, the 3.2 Harpertown is 30% up on the 4c Nehalem 2.80, or should other things be taken in consideration?

It does seem like it's a fair bit slower in some cases. There are Cinebench scores here:

http://www.cbscores.com/

They list the MacPro3,1 2008 dual-X5482 around 7.5 and the single MacPro5,1 2010 single-W3530 around 5.1, which matches up with the barefeats benchmark. Even the lower 2008 MacPro3,1 8-core 2.8 E5462 gets 6.5.

Geekbench is around 10500 for the 8-core and 9800 for the quad-core so closer than the barefeats test.

The quad 3.2GHz Nehalem version of the Mac Pro you have gets a 5.6 in Cinebench and the 6-core 3.3GHz Westmere gets 8.7.

Ideally they would give you something between those two but they don't offer a single quad-core Westmere. The 3.2GHz Nehalem would still be closer to what you had though.

Closer still would be highest-end 27" iMac, which gets a 6.8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX0Uk_xggnM

I don't think it makes much of a difference getting the 3.2 vs 2.8 Mac Pro though and Apple seem to be making a fair decision giving you a brand new machine. I'd expect the refresh in Q3/Q4 this year will offer an entry machine that matches/exceeds your old one and you can sell the one you have (presumably with a warranty?) and get the newer one for a small upgrade cost.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

http://www.barefeats.com/wst10.html

Download the free MacTracker application. It includes the Geekbench score for each specific model Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks Marvin, good idea to maybe sell it in a few months.