Developer build of OS X 10.6.8 preps for Mac App Store install for Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Newly surfaced details from a developer build of Mac OS X 10.6.8 provide more evidence that Apple plans to release Mac OS X 10.7 Lion through the Mac App Store.

Developer notes accompanying the third developer build of Mac OS X 10.6.8 note that the beta includes fixes that "enhance the Mac App Store to get your Mac ready to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion," fscklog (via Google Translate) reported over the weekend. Apple seeded the latest build of OS X 10.6.8 on Friday with no known issues.

AppleInsider exclusively reported earlier this month that Apple was planning to utilize the Mac App Store to distribute the next major upgrade to its desktop OS. Sources indicated that the Mac App Store would be the main delivery method for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, though an optical disc is also expected to be offered to customers who are unable to access the online store.

Apple already issues its developer previews of Lion via the Mac App Store by providing developers with a redemption code.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 will also contain fixes for the MAC Defender malware scam, according to people familiar with the matter. The malicious software was first discovered by a security researcher in early May. Last week, Apple posted a support document with instructions on how to remove the malware, promising that an upcoming update to Mac OS X would find and remove the offending software.

Additional changes in version 10.6.8 include the resolution of an issue that may cause Preview to quit unexpectedly, improved support for IPV6 and improved VPN reliability.

Apple will unveil the "future of Mac OS" at the Worldwide Developers Conference next week. The sold-out conference will take place from June 6 to June 9 at San Francisco's Moscone West. Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is scheduled for release this summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Unless they offer a way to make an image for either burning or making a bootable flash drive, retail physical copy for me.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Unless they offer a way to make an image for either burning or making a bootable flash drive, retail physical copy for me.

would be nice to put an image on a flash drive. I wouldn't be bothered if they tied my itunes account to the installation as long as i'm guaranteed to be allowed to re-download and make a new os installation flash drive.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    Yep. I think an OS is really one of the only pieces of software where a physical copy is important. So hopefully it has some kind of install option to put it on a bootable USB stick...
  • Reply 4 of 56
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Agreed - boot disc is a must.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    archer75archer75 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Agreed - boot disc is a must.

agreed.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    If it is going to allow making of bootable DVD/USB Flash/HDD Partition why do you care? It will be cheaper and for many people faster, because not everyone lives in US and not everyone has Apple Store 2 blocks away.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They can remove Mac Defender, but until they disable "open safe files after downloading" people will keep falling for similar things.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Yep. I think an OS is really one of the only pieces of software where a physical copy is important. So hopefully it has some kind of install option to put it on a bootable USB stick...

You should have a physical copy of the boot disk that came with your machine. This would even allow you to make a clean install and upgrade to Lion. I expect from here on that OS upgrades are mostly like Snow Leopard.

The App Store distribution will probably help ensure that people buy a copy per machine too instead of once and then install on 20 machines and I'd expect the price to reflect this, possibly by being even less than the $29 SL price.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You should have a physical copy of the boot disk that came with your machine. This would even allow you to make a clean install and upgrade to Lion. I expect from here on that OS upgrades are mostly like Snow Leopard.

The App Store distribution will probably help ensure that people buy a copy per machine too instead of once and then install on 20 machines and I'd expect the price to reflect this, possibly by being even less than the $29 SL price.

Except when you have several Macs and don't want to download a separate copy for each one
  • Reply 10 of 56
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Apple's attitude to Help and user manuals makes me think they'll just switch to a Mac App Store download and not tell anyone they should have a bootable external copy made and how to do it.

It's easy enough for the likes of us on this forum, but being on this forum marks us as different from most users.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Hopefully this means that the tools that are on the disk, but not part of the standard install, will now be a part of the standard install.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Perhaps you start the installer, and in the advanced options you can burn a disc.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    There's an inherent faulty assumption in App Store deliver of operating systems and similar large files. Not everyone has access to high speed Internet. This is especially true in rural areas of the US where dial-up is the sole option. Apple may want to re-think App Store delivery as the sole/primary delivery mechanism or risk perpetuating the digital divide.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    There is still a disk image in the actual install package that you can burn to a disk or flash drive that is big enough. From there you can boot a drive, use the on disk utilities to erase the destination drive, and install a fresh copy of Lion on it with no previous OS on it.

You'll need at least a DL DVD or 8GB flash drive though.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Maybe it will be tied to the cloud.

Quote:

• Reply 16 of 56
    Apple hasn't made any announcements on the matter. As such, it might mean you are making the faulty assumption that Apple isn't going to release it in a variety of ways. If so, there is no re-thinking necessary. Further, we have no idea how large the install will be.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

There's an inherent faulty assumption in App Store deliver of operating systems and similar large files. Not everyone has access to high speed Internet. This is especially true in rural areas of the US where dial-up is the sole option. Apple may want to re-think App Store delivery as the sole/primary delivery mechanism or risk perpetuating the digital divide.

• Reply 17 of 56
    That is what Firewire is for. Install update on to one Mac. Boot another Mac up in target disk mode. Clone everything from the updated Mac (but the user files and maybe the application files) to the Mac booted in Target Disk mode. Use a program like Carbon Cloner to do the work. Usually faster then a regular install. That is how I update multiple Macs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Except when you have several Macs and don't want to download a separate copy for each one

• Reply 18 of 56
    heavydheavyd Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

If it is going to allow making of bootable DVD/USB Flash/HDD Partition why do you care? It will be cheaper and for many people faster, because not everyone lives in US and not everyone has Apple Store 2 blocks away.

I think it is great they are making it available in the Mac App store, as long as there some sort of external media versions available. This will be absolutely necessary if I want to upgrade my hard drive at some point, or the one I have dies... Also, if someone has just 64 GB SSD, they're not going to want to use up precious drive space for a "just in case" restoration partition...
  • Reply 19 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post

I think it is great they are making it available in the Mac App store, as long as there some sort of external media versions available. This will be absolutely necessary if I want to upgrade my hard drive at some point, or the one I have dies... Also, if someone has just 64 GB SSD, they're not going to want to use up precious drive space for a "just in case" restoration partition...

And the 6 GB installer package stays in your Applications directory after the OS is installed. I'm not sure why or if you can safely delete it. I read that you can copy that package and use it on another Mac as long as you have the serial number.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

As a Mac developer running Lion it?s already possible. I have Lion on an SD Card, on a USB flash drive, and several other places.

The Mac App Store downloads Lion to your /Applications folder. When you install Lion it defaults to installing itself over your existing OS. There is no more need for copying or burning to a separate partition to install.

What the OS installer first does is resize your partition to add ≈700MB hundred Recovery HD partition for troubleshooting your Mac outside the OS. Within that partition there is an option to install Mac OS X Lion, however, this feature isn?t? able to locate the Install files nor gives any hint as to link the install files to it from within Mac OS X Lion.

Hopefully that gets resolved because it would then negate most people?s fears about needing to burn it to a DVD for backup when having the .DMG file should suffice.

PS: Those that want to burn this to a boot disk Show Package Contents off Mac OS X Lion Preview *.app, then go to Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg. Mount it in Disk Utility and burn it to a DVD or create an HFS+ partition for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Having to reinstall SL again to then reinstall Lion seems like too much rigamarole. I have to think Apple will have a cleaner solution for their upgraders to Lion from SL via MAS.

PS: There are still no controls or DRM for Lion from the MAS outside of needing a redeem code. I know this because I want through couple redeem codes and each time my download was corrupted. This was only and issue with Preview 2. To get around this issue since they are very stingy about giving out new codes, I grabbed it from a torrent site to get myself back up and running.