Need Some Advice on Using Compressed Air

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been having some new heat issues along with a few more minor problems with my MBP. It is about a year old. It is the unibody so I think removing the back could cause problems with the Applecare. I use the MBP in an environment that has a lot of dust/lint. I keep my MBP on most of the time even at home since I ned to for my work. I would like to get a can of compressed air and try to clean out some of the ports, the fans, etc. but I am not sure what is the safest and best way to try and clean out any dust/lint that might be in certain areas. Also, id there are dust bunnies caught in the fans, I would like to try and blow these out. I am nervous about doing this so I have come here for my fist time to hopefully get some advice from people who have done this or know about this way of hopefully cleaning out some of the dust/lint.

I am not very tech savvy, but I assume I would not want to move the fans blades with the air if possible, turn the machine off, and maybe try if anyone has experience with removing a few of the larger keys to see if I get blow in and around the keys where I would think some dust is too. I read in an article that to remove the keys use a screwdriver and pop them off. I am not too excited to emote the keys. I lightly tried to remove a shift key by using a small watch screwdriver but it would not pop-off and I did not want to force it.

any suggestions on the best way to try and get rid of some of the dust/lint without forcing it back into the "path" farther.

any other recommendations on general maintenance like this that would be good to try and do since I will be trying to get rid of some of the dust.

I called the Apple Store and the Genius Bar said they do not do this kin doff stuff but the "genius" said that if most people would do what I am describing the majority of the heating problems , he feels, would not get so advanced.

thanks for any additional help/advice on this.

I should ad that I do not ant to use a vacuum since I tried this with an older MBP and I think I messed up the function that lights up the keys since after I tried to use a vacuum and a small attachment for car vents, half of the keys would not light up anymore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kooler View Post

I have been having some new heat issues along with a few more minor problems with my MBP. It is about a year old. It is the unibody so I think removing the back could cause problems with the Applecare. I use the MBP in an environment that has a lot of dust/lint. I keep my MBP on most of the time even at home since I ned to for my work. I would like to get a can of compressed air and try to clean out some of the ports, the fans, etc. but I am not sure what is the safest and best way to try and clean out any dust/lint that might be in certain areas. Also, id there are dust bunnies caught in the fans, I would like to try and blow these out. I am nervous about doing this so I have come here for my fist time to hopefully get some advice from people who have done this or know about this way of hopefully cleaning out some of the dust/lint.

I am not very tech savvy, but I assume I would not want to move the fans blades with the air if possible, turn the machine off, and maybe try if anyone has experience with removing a few of the larger keys to see if I get blow in and around the keys where I would think some dust is too. I read in an article that to remove the keys use a screwdriver and pop them off. I am not too excited to emote the keys. I lightly tried to remove a shift key by using a small watch screwdriver but it would not pop-off and I did not want to force it.

any suggestions on the best way to try and get rid of some of the dust/lint without forcing it back into the "path" farther.

any other recommendations on general maintenance like this that would be good to try and do since I will be trying to get rid of some of the dust.

I called the Apple Store and the Genius Bar said they do not do this kin doff stuff but the "genius" said that if most people would do what I am describing the majority of the heating problems , he feels, would not get so advanced.

thanks for any additional help/advice on this.

I should ad that I do not ant to use a vacuum since I tried this with an older MBP and I think I messed up the function that lights up the keys since after I tried to use a vacuum and a small attachment for car vents, half of the keys would not light up anymore.

When doing this squeeze very gently on the can and do not exert a lot of pressure when the air blows out of the can as you may damage some delicate part in there.Use a pipe cleaner for the fan to get some dirt out which is helpful quite a bit.Good Luck
  • Reply 2 of 6
    koolerkooler Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

When doing this squeeze very gently on the can and do not exert a lot of pressure when the air blows out of the can as you may damage some delicate part in there.Use a pipe cleaner for the fan to get some dirt out which is helpful quite a bit.Good Luck

Hello-

I apologize for taking so long. an unexpected medical issue put me in the hospital.

I appreciate your help. A pipe cleaner? what is this? Would you recommend I remove the screws since the MacBook Pro is the unibody type. I am not sure I would know where to use the compressed air without the back off. vn with the back of, I do not want to push all the dust and dust bunnies in a worse area. As far as the pipe cleaner, any suggestions on how to use this to try and get the inside of my MacBook pro as clean and free fro the massive amounts (I am imagining) of dust, lint, all the stuff this building seems to "grow." I have no idea why this place accumulates and collects so much dust and lint. I have never seen one room or one area without even using the forced heat or air conditioner collect so much dust.

thanks again for your help.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Hello-

I apologize for taking so long. an unexpected medical issue put me in the hospital.

I appreciate your help. A pipe cleaner? what is this? Would you recommend I remove the screws since the MacBook Pro is the unibody type. I am not sure I would know where to use the compressed air without the back off. vn with the back of, I do not want to push all the dust and dust bunnies in a worse area. As far as the pipe cleaner, any suggestions on how to use this to try and get the inside of my MacBook pro as clean and free fro the massive amounts (I am imagining) of dust, lint, all the stuff this building seems to "grow." I have no idea why this place accumulates and collects so much dust and lint. I have never seen one room or one area without even using the forced heat or air conditioner collect so much dust.

thanks again for your help.

Hope you are okay now? I suggest perhaps take this to an Apple Provider and let them do it for you. These laptops are pretty delicate and one screw up forget it. One concept is put a cloth over the MBP at night when you are finished.I do this and so far no dust I have.Good Luck marv
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Hope you are okay now? I suggest perhaps take this to an Apple Provider and let them do it for you. These laptops are pretty delicate and one screw up forget it. One concept is put a cloth over the MBP at night when you are finished.I do this and so far no dust I have.Good Luck marv

thanks. did not follow what you meant in the bottom of my PM, but I will not repeat it here.

I tried the Apple Store at the genius bar and it was impossible persuading them I need to have the inside taken care of due to the dust. the problem is that my MBP needs to be on all night for my work. Hard to explain. it gets real hot, which is one reason why I think the fans are a bit off sync. And of course how much dust/lint is around and on the desks the day after things are deep cleaned.

Thanks anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

thanks. did not follow what you meant in the bottom of my PM, but I will not repeat it here.

I tried the Apple Store at the genius bar and it was impossible persuading them I need to have the inside taken care of due to the dust. the problem is that my MBP needs to be on all night for my work. Hard to explain. it gets real hot, which is one reason why I think the fans are a bit off sync. And of course how much dust/lint is around and on the desks the day after things are deep cleaned.

Thanks anyway.

Is your room air conditioned when you work on your MBP all night? How old is it? thanks
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Is your room air conditioned when you work on your MBP all night? How old is it? thanks

just a new townhouse that they never cleaned the blower in the AC and the vents out. The MBP is about 1 year old. Genius Bar is not very excited to clean out my MBP and I know it would really make a big difference so I might try it myself. I teach and work on the MBP till about 4am every weeknight.

I do put a clean cloth over the MBP when it is on and I am not using it but it needs to be on. One problem is that the fans can't work right so any time I cover it I can tell quickly that the cloth keeps more heat in and eventually the fans will not even respond to increased heat.

I really think a good cleaning out and then figure out how I will keep it clean will make all the difference in the world.