Steve Jobs to present iCloud, iOS 5, Lion at Apple's June 6 WWDC keynote

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple announced on Tuesday that in less than a week, Chief Executive Steve Jobs will return to the stage, along with a team of company executives, to present Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and iOS 5 -- and to introduce its new iCloud service.

The Worldwide Developers Conference keynote will begin Monday, June 6 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. Apple confirmed that it will show off the now-officially-named iCloud, dubbed "Apple's upcoming cloud services offering." No additional details were given.

Also set to be revealed by Jobs and Apple executives are Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X, and iOS 5, the next version of Apple's mobile operating system for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

WWDC will feature more than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers. Mac developers will see and learn how to develop world-class Mac OS X Lion applications using its latest technologies and capabilities. Mobile developers will be able to explore the latest innovations and capabilities of iOS and learn how to greatly enhance the functionality, performance and design of their apps. All developers can bring their code to the labs and work with Apple engineers.

Though Tuesday marks the first official confirmation of the iCloud service, its existence was hardly a secret. The company acquired the iCloud.com domain name for an estimated $4.5 million in April.

AppleInsider exclusively reported that same month that Apple was utilizing the iCloud name with several products under development. It is expected that iCloud will replace the existing MobileMe cloud service, which offers e-mail and syncing of contacts and calendars.

A major new component of iCloud is expected to be a music streaming service that will allow users to access their music library from any Internet-connected device, like an iPhone, without the need to save music files locally on the device. It is expected that the product will scan users' iTunes libraries and then mirror them with Apple's own high-quality audio files stored in the cloud.

Monday's announcement of iCloud via a press release less than a week before the WWDC keynote is a strange decision for the secretive company. But in addition to the new service, Apple must also showcase Lion, its next version of Mac OS X, as well as iOS 5 during the keynote to kick off WWDC.

The picture for Lion is slightly more clear, as Apple first showed off the Mac software update last October and preview releases of the software have been provided to developers. Lion will bring iOS features "back to the Mac," including home screens, tighter integration with the Mac App Store, new multi-touch gestures, and full-screen applications that auto-save and auto-resume.

As for iOS 5, both it and Mac OS X Lion are rumored to have deep connectivity with the new iCloud service. Numerous reports have claimed that iOS 5 will offer improved voice commands, but the software is not expected to be unveiled alongside new iPhone hardware. Apple's fifth-generation iPhone is expected to show up sometime later this year, and not at WWDC.

A more recent iOS 5 rumor from last week suggested that Apple also plans to add widgets to its mobile operating system. It was also said that Apple plans to revamp its notification system, a part of the operating system that has been heavily criticized when compared to competing platforms like Google Android and HP's Palm webOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162
    quafflequaffle Posts: 1member
    "Also set to be revealed by Jobs and Apple executives are Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X, and Lion, the next version of Apple's mobile operating system for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch."

Or do you mean...."And iOS"
  • Reply 2 of 162
    nixbsdnixbsd Posts: 5member
    Long live Steve Jobs

Long live Mac & iOS

Long live Apple's USER & communities
  • Reply 3 of 162
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member
    9to5Mac is reporting the same, but I'm not able to find the source in Apple's website...
  • Reply 4 of 162
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    A great day for Apple.

An even greater day next Monday.

Welcome back Steve.
  • Reply 5 of 162
    dayne33dayne33 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quaffle View Post

"Also set to be revealed by Jobs and Apple executives are Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X, and Lion, the next version of Apple's mobile operating system for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch."

Or do you mean...."And iOS"

No, AI got this right. The 2 will be so well integrated that they are the same. Trust me. That's going to be the "One more thing".
  • Reply 6 of 162
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

9to5Mac is reporting the same, but I'm not able to find the source in Apple's website...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31wwdc.html
  • Reply 7 of 162
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member
    I'm curious what our next email address will be now....

I just finally got all of my contacts put through to [email protected] from mac.com... what next? [email protected]? oy.....
  • Reply 8 of 162
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member

Thank you!
  • Reply 9 of 162
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dayne33 View Post

No, AI got this right. The 2 will be so well integrated that they are the same. Trust me. That's going to be the "One more thing".

In your dreams. There is no way iOS and Lion could be one in the same so soon. Maybe a future OS version but definitely not Lion.
  • Reply 10 of 162
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Meh. iCloud. Lion. iOS5.

Whens the real changes?
  • Reply 11 of 162
    dayne33dayne33 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

In your dreams. There is no way iOS and Lion could be one in the same so soon. Maybe a future OS version but definitely not Lion.

OK OK, too early in the morning for sarcasm, lesson learned.
  • Reply 12 of 162
    I hope Steve is doing alright and he's up to that whole presentation thing !
  • Reply 13 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The keynote will begin Monday, June 6 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. Apple confirmed that it will show off the now-officially-named iCloud, dubbed "Apple's upcoming cloud services offering." No additional details were given.

Apple NEVER tells anyone about ANYTHING before official launch. I don't buy this. EDIT: HOLY CRAP, IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THEIR PR PAGE. WHAT IS WRONG WITH APPLE?!

Quote:

As freaking if.

Quote:

OK OK, too early in the morning for sarcasm, lesson learned.

That wasn't sarcasm, that was just plain being wrong.
  • Reply 14 of 162
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm glad Steve will be there, but it sounds like one of those keynotes where is more like the MC, handing off the individual presentations to other execs. I prefer when he does the whole thing. He used to do a 90min presentation all by himself without skipping a beat.
  • Reply 15 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nixbsd View Post

Long live Steve Jobs

Long live Mac & iOS

Long live Apple's USER & communities

Harrumph of assent. (Blazing Saddles style.)
  • Reply 16 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Harrumph of assent. (Blazing Saddles style.)

Mister Snitch Johnson is right!
  • Reply 17 of 162
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Meh. iCloud. Lion. iOS5.

Whens the real changes?

So what would qualify as a REAL change then? The holomac that projects the entire UI holographically? Macs migrating to ARM processors? Apple launching their own line of apparel?

I myself am very excited to see what iOS5 will bring.
  • Reply 18 of 162
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    I thought that a return of SJ was as likely as Duke Nukem forever going GM

I am happy to be wrong on both acccounts, and most happy for the former
  • Reply 19 of 162
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    June 6, 2011... D-Day... The invasion begins... On the Beaches of Mosconi...
  • Reply 20 of 162
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That wasn't sarcasm, that was just plain being wrong.

It WAS obviously, a decent shot at sarcasm. \