Steve Jobs to present iCloud, iOS 5, Lion at Apple's June 6 WWDC keynote

Comments

• Reply 21 of 162
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

So what would qualify as a REAL change then? The holomac that projects the entire UI holographically? Macs migrating to ARM processors? Apple launching their own line of apparel?

I myself am very excited to see what iOS5 will bring.

Holograph would be a bit better. Just a bit.
  • Reply 22 of 162
    dayne33dayne33 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That wasn't sarcasm, that was just plain being wrong.

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. [sarcasm]I'll work on making it a little more obvious next time[/sarcasm]

In all reality, if Apple tried to agglomerate/merge the 2 OS's now, I think the dev world would collectively explode. As Realistic pointed out in a their response, such fusion is possible in the future; perhaps when the iOS and Mac OS divide is characterized by a more subtle difference in functionality than a completely different UI experience.
  • Reply 23 of 162
    eliangonzaleliangonzal Posts: 490member
    Quote:

Mister Snitch Johnson is right!

Howard Johnson. Snitch was run out of town earlier and we will NEVER speak of him again.
  • Reply 24 of 162
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I'm curious what our next email address will be now....

I just finally got all of my contacts put through to [email protected] from mac.com... what next? [email protected]? oy.....

I hope you are right. A small thing perhaps, but I was never really comfortable with the ...@me.com. Sounded a bit egocentric or something. I still use ...@Mac.com exclusively!

I much prefer ...@iCloud.com though!

Best
  • Reply 25 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Howard Johnson. Snitch was run out of town earlier and we will NEVER speak of him again.

"The sheriff is a B-*BONG*-llmer! "
  • Reply 26 of 162
    There's bound to be one more thing. This cant be it. What have they being doing for the last while?
  • Reply 27 of 162
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    AAPL up 1.75% $6 and change

This will be significant -- it will set the base and define the direction for Apple for the next 5 years.
  • Reply 28 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There's bound to be one more thing. This cant be it. What have they being doing for the last while?

Working on a great new desktop OS, mobile OS, and cloud services actually worth paying for.

Yeah, that's a job for Friday evenings. They've obviously been wasting their time.
  • Reply 29 of 162
  • Reply 30 of 162
    Quote:

Working on a great new desktop OS, mobile OS, and cloud services actually worth paying for.

Yeah, that's a job for Friday evenings. They've obviously been wasting their time.

Hopefully there are widgets. And holographs.
  • Reply 31 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

http://www.asymco.com/

I'm confused. Apple is different than Mac?

Oh, is the 272% including iDevices? That's idiotic; just put them all in one or don't have iDevices at all.
  • Reply 32 of 162
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I'm glad Steve will be there, but it sounds like one of those keynotes where is more like the MC, handing off the individual presentations to other execs. I prefer when he does the whole thing. He used to do a 90min presentation all by himself without skipping a beat.

No, that's exactly what he should do. In fact, it might even be better if he wasn't there at all. One of the problems with Steve and Apple is that he's made it seem like that he's the whole company. His "insistence" on doing these presentations even when he's still officially on personal leave only reinforces the notion that no other executive in the company is capable of making such a presentation except for him.

He makes occassional "thank you's" to the team, but it still comes across as "all Steve, all the time." Even if his health wasn't an issue, he needs to begin stepping back so that the market is assured that the rest of the exec team can run the company. Otherwise, whenever he does leave, whether it's by choice (like Bill Gates) or because of health issues, the stock won't crash to absurd lows based on the false assumption that without Steve, Apple can't be successful. And if Apple doesn't have anyone else who can give exciting, credible presentations, then they need to hire those types of people.

IMO, the CFO should present the sales/financial review and the head of each product team should present the new services/products. Steve (since he'll obviously be there), should act as moderator and booster for his team of execs.
  • Reply 33 of 162
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I'm glad Steve will be there, but it sounds like one of those keynotes where is more like the MC, handing off the individual presentations to other execs. I prefer when he does the whole thing. He used to do a 90min presentation all by himself without skipping a beat.

Nobody else comes close. He's got mad skills. Combined with the founder-in-the-garage thing nobody can touch a Jobs presentation.
  • Reply 34 of 162
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    It seems obvious to me that by Apple choosing to announce what they are going to present before they do it that they have something up there sleeves. Now I def. can't wait for June 6.
  • Reply 35 of 162
    The CloudMe site is active:

CloudMe

Quote:

What is CloudMe?

CloudMe is a free web-based file storage service that you can access directly from your mobile or your browser.

Our cloud-based service is focused on giving you anywhere access to your online files, thus the name - CloudMe.

Edit:

Oops... There, then gone in an instant!!

AIR, pricing was:

-- 20 GB free with ads

-- buy additional 20 GB disks for $20 / year with ads

-- 100 GB without ads at $99 / year
  • Reply 36 of 162
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

So what would qualify as a REAL change then? The holomac that projects the entire UI holographically? Macs migrating to ARM processors? Apple launching their own line of apparel?

I myself am very excited to see what iOS5 will bring.

I second that. I love what I'm seeing in OS X 10.7, it's great stuff, but it's all evolutionary and it most likely won't significantly change my day-to-day use of my OS X machines.

iOS 5 on the other hand, I expect a lot from that. The things I'm most interested in is (of course) the notification system, the way it will handle multi-core CPU's (I'm pretty sure it's going to have some twist that makes it much easier for developers to exploit multiple cores compared to other OS's), and what new API's and frameworks will be available. My prediction is that the notification system and some minor UI changes and gimmicks such as widgets will attract most of the attention of the general public, and that many people will be disappointed that iOS 5 will not introduce a massive UI overhaul (I don't think it's going to happen), but that meanwhile, under the hood, so many things will change that iOS 5 will open a whole new world of opportunities for developers. Looking forward to it
  • Reply 37 of 162
    awesome.Seems there will be one more thing. Maybe two more things.
  • Reply 38 of 162
    but not three more things.

greedy?
  • Reply 39 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

No, that's exactly what he should do. In fact, it might even be better if he wasn't there at all. One of the problems with Steve and Apple is that he's made it seem like that he's the whole company. His "insistence" on doing these presentations even when he's still officially on personal leave only reinforces the notion that no other executive in the company is capable of making such a presentation except for him.

He makes occassional "thank you's" to the team, but it still comes across as "all Steve, all the time." Even if his health wasn't an issue, he needs to begin stepping back so that the market is assured that the rest of the exec team can run the company. Otherwise, whenever he does leave, whether it's by choice (like Bill Gates) or because of health issues, the stock won't crash to absurd lows based on the false assumption that without Steve, Apple can't be successful. And if Apple doesn't have anyone else who can give exciting, credible presentations, then they need to hire those types of people.

IMO, the CFO should present the sales/financial review and the head of each product team should present the new services/products. Steve (since he'll obviously be there), should act as moderator and booster for his team of execs.

I agree, it reeks of ego. You see this all the time in science with the head of the group presenting everything, but it is badly received. Share the wealth and acknowledge those involved, it only makes you stronger.
  • Reply 40 of 162
    Not everybody wants to present, of course. In general, though, I agree.