Steve Jobs to present iCloud, iOS 5, Lion at Apple's June 6 WWDC keynote

Comments

• Reply 61 of 162
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well, thank the Deity, that they, and we, can all benefit from your wisdom and support.

Hey, maybe this time there will be a secret ingredient in iCloud that was missing from DotMac and MobileMe and iCloud will be a big hit. It could happen.

I'm just not counting on it. And if the 3rd iteration of a service with years of failure behind it is the biggest thing on the announcement list (which it is), you're going to have a hard time getting me excited over it.
  • Reply 62 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason MobileMe failed is because it's a pointless service no one wants, not because of it's launch?

Or do you think no buys it two years after it's launch, and no one bought DocMac before it, is solely because incompentant underlings failed to implement Steve Jobs vision with proper granduer on day one?

1. It was .Mac. If you're going to insult something by lying about it, at least get its name right.

2. People loved it.

3. People don't like MobileMe because of its shaky performance and (originally) the features of .Mac it removed.

And has it ever occurred to you that Apple might just be changing MobileMe into something to which more people can relate? You're pretty darn full of yourself to think you can say that "no one wants" cloud services.
  • Reply 63 of 162
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dayne33 View Post

No, AI got this right. The 2 will be so well integrated that they are the same. Trust me. That's going to be the "One more thing".

lol I picked this up as sarcasm immediately. I guess some things need to be spelled out for some people
  • Reply 64 of 162
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Best feature of Lion, Mac App Store, is already out.

Biggest announced feature in iOS 5 is widgets. Useless junk that drains battery.

Mac cloud service has been out for several years and is one of the few areas where Apple has been an unqualified flop.

* Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *

You have posted multiple times in this thread saying the same thing, i.e., how bored you are. Please add something to the discussion, or get lost. (I know what I'd prefer you do....)
  • Reply 65 of 162
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    They probably announced what they are going to do, to remove any uncertainly about what they are not going to do - which is annouce a new iPhone.

Which was, as we know, the main theme of the last 2 WWDCs. However that is not really what they WWDC is for.
  • Reply 66 of 162
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    there's something called presentation skills to keep in mind
  • Reply 67 of 162
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Hey, AI. Why did you put that CloudMe graphic up without explaining that it is a third party app and not a part of MobileMe or Apple's forthcoming iCloud? Please update.
  • Reply 68 of 162
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I hope you are right. A small thing perhaps, but I was never really comfortable with the ...@me.com. Sounded a bit egocentric or something. I still use ...@Mac.com exclusively!

I much prefer ...@iCloud.com though!

Best

I prefer something that you never have to spell out. "Me' is so short, it catches people by surprise on the phone and I always have to qualify it.
  • Reply 69 of 162
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

3. People don't like MobileMe because of its shaky performance and (originally) the features of .Mac it removed.

The only feature I know anyone being pissed about losing was the groups. And I wouldn't be shocked if they came back.

Along with perhaps better support for iweb. HTML5, keyword searches, blog pages that work more like blogger/wordpress, perhaps even some kind of message board support. Widgets for adding your ping comments, your itunes reviews, auto links to the stuff you are talking about (pushes sales). perhaps making ibooks downloadable on the computer. Mobile friendly formats that come up with someone is on an ipad, xoom or just smaller screen computer.

Then top it off with a revamp of iweb that is more flexible in the templates, inline HTML not the iframes, HTML5 supporting 'advance mode'. and a companion iOS app for creating blog entries

They could wrap it all into a facebook like thing where folks could use their apple id to sign up to read your stuff but if they want to play (beyond comments )they have to pay something (could be leveled pricing) and in exchange there's no ads. Or there might be a low storage with ads that's free and you can pay a little to turn off the ads, more for no ads and more storage, perhaps even more for no ads, even more storage and the groups stuff and so on

Might not happen all at once cause that could kill even two servers but a little at a time over the rest of the year.
  • Reply 70 of 162
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

No, that's exactly what he should do. In fact, it might even be better if he wasn't there at all. One of the problems with Steve and Apple is that he's made it seem like that he's the whole company. His "insistence" on doing these presentations even when he's still officially on personal leave only reinforces the notion that no other executive in the company is capable of making such a presentation except for him.

He makes occassional "thank you's" to the team, but it still comes across as "all Steve, all the time." Even if his health wasn't an issue, he needs to begin stepping back so that the market is assured that the rest of the exec team can run the company. Otherwise, whenever he does leave, whether it's by choice (like Bill Gates) or because of health issues, the stock won't crash to absurd lows based on the false assumption that without Steve, Apple can't be successful. And if Apple doesn't have anyone else who can give exciting, credible presentations, then they need to hire those types of people.

IMO, the CFO should present the sales/financial review and the head of each product team should present the new services/products. Steve (since he'll obviously be there), should act as moderator and booster for his team of execs.

You present a valid position. But it is based on the assumption that Steve is on the way out. What if he is not? What if his health has been steadily improving and he will come back off of his 6-month leave to lead the company as before for the next ten or twenty years? Or until he is ready to retire for the same reasons the rest of us do--tired of it, ready to do something else, etc. His continued presence, appearances, activities, etc. support this argument.
  • Reply 71 of 162
    a_ka_k Posts: 32member
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1872415]Apple NEVER tells anyone about ANYTHING before official launch. I don't buy this. EDIT: HOLY CRAP, IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THEIR PR PAGE. WHAT IS WRONG WITH APPLE?!

It's been made official my friend on Apple's own site!!!

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31wwdc.html
  • Reply 72 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A_K View Post

It's been made official my friend on Apple's own site!!!

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31wwdc.html

I don't want to get my hopes up (because I never get my hopes up, because Apple never gives a reason for anyone to get their hopes up), but this break away from NEVER EVER telling ANYONE about ANYTHING before its official announcement could mean that iCloud is something worth pre-announcing.

Either that or it will be such a pointless, minute change that Apple is stopping people from getting their hopes up.

I buy the latter.
  • Reply 73 of 162
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:

I don't know about that...

http://www.icloud.com

redirects to

http://www.cloudme.com/en

However, I will say that I signed up and I am not too happy with the few things I've tried:

-- Flash required in browser for uploads to web site

-- Java required in browser for uploads from mobile

-- Agnostic look to the "windows" Java-esque -- neither fish no fowl.

There is an iPhone size iOS app in the app store that works OK -- but an iPad app is needed.

It does have a file system, though, and this could be the missing link for iOS devices.

I think it's the original iCloud domain holder. Sold domain to apple and for now redirecting to couldme (new domain). Good for them for transition and also apple is obviously not going to let us peak at their work in progress. So I don't think this is any way related to the new iCloud service.
  • Reply 74 of 162
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Hey, AI. Why did you put that CloudMe graphic up without explaining that it is a third party app and not a part of MobileMe or Apple's forthcoming iCloud? Please update.

Are you sure?

The iCloud site owned by Apple redirects to the CloudMe site...
  • Reply 75 of 162
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    deleted
  • Reply 76 of 162
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

No, that's exactly what he should do. In fact, it might even be better if he wasn't there at all. One of the problems with Steve and Apple is that he's made it seem like that he's the whole company. His "insistence" on doing these presentations even when he's still officially on personal leave only reinforces the notion that no other executive in the company is capable of making such a presentation except for him.

He makes occassional "thank you's" to the team, but it still comes across as "all Steve, all the time." Even if his health wasn't an issue, he needs to begin stepping back so that the market is assured that the rest of the exec team can run the company. Otherwise, whenever he does leave, whether it's by choice (like Bill Gates) or because of health issues, the stock won't crash to absurd lows based on the false assumption that without Steve, Apple can't be successful. And if Apple doesn't have anyone else who can give exciting, credible presentations, then they need to hire those types of people.

IMO, the CFO should present the sales/financial review and the head of each product team should present the new services/products. Steve (since he'll obviously be there), should act as moderator and booster for his team of execs.

I understand what you are saying, but I think you are overstating things to a large degree.

Most of the recent Keynotes were in fact pretty much what you argue he should be doing, which is handing off most of the presentation to underlings and other execs. As for him "not being there at all," it only makes sense if he is leaving the company soon or transitioning (which is probably most of your argument), but we don't actually know that he is. He could be CEO for ten or 20 years or more for all we know.

Personally, I used to watch them all many times over, but I haven't been lately because there is less Steve than there used to be. I find the magic disappears for me when Phil Schiller gets out there or Scott Forestall etc. They just do the same schtick that Steve does, but seeing them do it makes it obvious it's a schtick, whereas with Steve one can pretend he really believes what he is saying and stuff.
  • Reply 77 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Now that Apple has officially announced iCloud they may take over the domain prior to WWDC.

Quote:

Are you sure?

The iCloud site owned by Apple redirects to the CloudMe site...

When this story first broke a month or two ago iCloud redirected to CloudMe. Meaning, Xcerion sold their iCloud site to Apple and rebranded their service as CloudMe.
  • Reply 78 of 162
    system6system6 Posts: 21member
    If that WWDC2011 graphic is anything to go by, it looks like there might be new styles of app icons.
  • Reply 79 of 162
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

The announcement says "Steve Jobs and a team of Apple executives will kick off the company's annual World Wide Developer Conference."

So I think it's reasonable to expect that Steve will act as moderator, at most-- and it may well be that his health keeps him from doing much more than introducing and wrapping up. Although this is being touted as his "return", there's no chance he'll conduct this like keynotes of old, where he was onstage for most of the time.
  • Reply 80 of 162
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    My feeling leans towards there being a couple of new functions to Lion and iOS that will be pretty nice, iCloud will be nice... and then there is one more thing, which is the product that will sell the operating systems and the cloud service.

If they are doing both Lion and iOS at the same event, there must be some kind of link between them that is catchy; run iOS apps on your Mac like a widget? The Mac could count as one of the five authorized devices.

I certainly be buying some popcorn this year, and coffee to keep me awake through the night (wish at least once Apple would start one of these things at a decent hour JST).