Steve Jobs to present iCloud, iOS 5, Lion at Apple's June 6 WWDC keynote

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't want to get my hopes up (because I never get my hopes up, because Apple never gives a reason for anyone to get their hopes up), but this break away from NEVER EVER telling ANYONE about ANYTHING before its official announcement could mean that iCloud is something worth pre-announcing.

Either that or it will be such a pointless, minute change that Apple is stopping people from getting their hopes up.

I buy the latter.

Weird though because all Apple has done is to confirm the agenda that was already being speculated.
  • Reply 82 of 162
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    If they nail the iCloud this will be HUGE, but that's a big "IF".

No more syncing to computer please.
  • Reply 83 of 162
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

So what would qualify as a REAL change then? The holomac that projects the entire UI holographically? Macs migrating to ARM processors? Apple launching their own line of apparel?

I myself am very excited to see what iOS5 will bring.

I agree about iOS5. As of now there is very little information on what the features will be, and nothing on what it will look like!
  • Reply 84 of 162
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    One WiFi network better be dedicated to Steve's address that day or heads will roll.
  • Reply 85 of 162
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    Dumb, dumb, dumb-ass question:

Could you run iOS and iOS apps on a Mac via boot camp or virtualization software?

Thanks in advance for the painful education.

Flame on!
  • Reply 86 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Weird though because all Apple has done is to confirm the agenda that was already being speculated.

Two things we can infer as confirmed: iCloud.com ownership and Steve Jobs as keynote ringmaster.
  • Reply 87 of 162
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Are you sure?

The iCloud site owned by Apple redirects to the CloudMe site...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._5m_rumor.html
  • Reply 88 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Could you run iOS and iOS apps on a Mac via boot camp or virtualization software?

Of course not. Unless you're building them yourself in Xcode and have the source code to run through the iPhone Simulator.

iOS can't work on X86 processors. You can't just install it on a computer.
  • Reply 89 of 162
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Yeah, and they've actually done this a few times recently so it's not the big surprise that everyone is making out it is really.

Apple is growing and changing, it happens to everyone and everything. They even announced they were doing (shudder) market research lately with what can only be described as an (upscale, high-end, tech oriented) "focus group." blech.

Personally, I just want them to finally make the computer I've been waiting to exist since about 1968 or so. It still looks to be a few years out, but I think Apple has a shot at making one before they go bad.
  • Reply 90 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Dumb, dumb, dumb-ass question:

Thanks in advance for the painful education.

Flame on!

You can run iOS apps on the Mac with the simulator(emulator) in Xcode. However, this is for apps that you complile yourself and wil not work for apps bought from the App Store.

Boot Camp is only for dual-booting Windows and virtualisation software, like VMware or Parralles, probably could virtualise iOS but there are many legal reasons why they won't even try.
  • Reply 91 of 162
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Apple is going to show them how it's done!

GO HEAT!!! n
  • Reply 92 of 162
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course not. Unless you're building them yourself in Xcode and have the source code to run through the iPhone Simulator.

iOS can't work on X86 processors. You can't just install it on a computer.

not so fast. correct that it cannot run as a native OS on such hardware, but it may be possible via a new version of iOS emulator software.
  • Reply 93 of 162
    I'm hoping someone can answer a question I've had since this whole Cloud Storage thing became a hot topic....

If all of my music etc is stored in the cloud and I'm using 3G to access it, won't I use a crap-ton of data just to listen to my tunes? 5MB or more every time I want to hear a song is going to burn through my 2gigs pretty quick. Plus, won't scrubbing take all day if I want to quickly go back and hear another part of a song?

Or is that not how it will work? Perhaps I'm missing what's going to be so great about iCloud...?
  • Reply 94 of 162
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nixbsd View Post

Long live Steve Jobs

Long live Mac & iOS

Long live Apple's USER & communities

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

A great day for Apple.

An even greater day next Monday.

Welcome back Steve.

i love you dude

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Meh. iCloud. Lion. iOS5.

Whens the real changes?

Dude apple may just CHANGE THE WHOLE GAME AGAIN

Maybe apple will now be a CARRIER FOR SOMETHING LIKE SAY A Nano phone !!!!!!

So buy an apple nano phone and you also get very low priced minutes n voice and almost free data time .

APPLE would be the gate keeper for us under a no contract phone ,

Apple might also pre pay billions of dollar's for blocks of carrier time .

Apple server farm's could be a great data carrier for the NANO cloud phone .

i can't breathe ..http://www.mobilein.com/what_is_a_mvno.htm

And at the moment of a call apple would switch us to the the best signal and best price at that exact time ./

Apple of course will sell any free data time at there server farms .

rant is over

if could happen ...

maybe

• Reply 95 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

not so fast. correct that it cannot run as a native OS on such hardware, but it may be possible via a new version of iOS emulator software.

No one with the ability to make a straight iOS emulator has the guts (read: stupidity) to do so out of fear of Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvam1985 View Post

...burn through my 2gigs pretty quick.

That's 100% correct. There's really nothing that Apple can do about it.
  • Reply 96 of 162
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

....I find the magic disappears for me when Phil Schiller gets out there or Scott Forestall etc. They just do the same schtick that Steve does, but seeing them do it makes it obvious it's a schtick, whereas with Steve one can pretend he really believes what he is saying and stuff.

Very true... it is interesting how that RDF works. But I wonder if it only works on us 'fanbois' because we know the history. If someone knew absolutely nothing about Apple and Steve, dare I suggest... they would say 'who is this guy and whats he smoking? I know... thems fight'n words....
  • Reply 97 of 162
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

....Personally, I just want them to finally make the computer I've been waiting to exist since about 1968 or so. It still looks to be a few years out, but I think Apple has a shot at making one before they go bad.

Holy crap... 1968. HAL? is that you? - Daaave

So do share, what is this computer that has had your desire for over 40 years?
  • Reply 98 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

A great day for Apple.

An even greater day next Monday.

Welcome back Steve.

God bless Steve Jobs. (and no, he didn't sneeze)
  • Reply 99 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

No, that's exactly what he should do. In fact, it might even be better if he wasn't there at all. One of the problems with Steve and Apple is that he's made it seem like that he's the whole company. His "insistence" on doing these presentations even when he's still officially on personal leave only reinforces the notion that no other executive in the company is capable of making such a presentation except for him.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post

I agree, it reeks of ego. You see this all the time in science with the head of the group presenting everything, but it is badly received. Share the wealth and acknowledge those involved, it only makes you stronger.

Where is this news that Steve is on "personal leave"? Where is this news that Steve Jobs isn't the active CEO of Apple?
  • Reply 100 of 162
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    He probably meant medical leave. And yes, he's still CEO anyway.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-17/t...ans?_s=PM:TECH