Apple releases Pages, Keynote and Numbers for iPhone and iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Was2Be View Post

Too bad... iWork is really in need of an overhaul.

What kind of overhaul does it need?
  • Reply 22 of 55
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What kind of overhaul does it need?

Head gaskets.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I refuse to buy iWork for iOS until apple offers some sort of wireless file transfer, either dropbox or hopefully this new iCloud that's coming out. Or just enable "Open In" support so you can send your documents to Goodreader or iFiles. You can't do real work without a real file system, and apple refused so make one, but at least Open In would allow you to work around it.

I don't really get this announcement. Who wants to do word processing on their iPhone? The only good this would be is to do some basic stuff on the go away from your iPad, but since it doesn't sync with iPad, what's the point?

All this announcement does is underline the fact that apple STILL hasn't pushed out freaking iWork '11. Do they even care about iWork anymore?

The point is Apple is going to introduce iCloud next week. So just sit tight for one more week.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I find this kind of disappointing actually. It's a lame update for a bunch of apps that really are in need of some updates.

I was hoping for a serious update to these very apps at the WWDC in consort with the new iCloud, now that's much less likely.

I do *all* my writing in Pages, but I'm almost ready to dump it if they don't update it to a more useable app soon. The first serious word processor for iOS that's actually well designed will likely lure me away. Apple just doesn't seem to want to devote any serious resources to Pages.

Are you crazy? Have you actually tried to use the latest Microsoft Word? It's a nightmare! Pages is a frickin' dream in comparison.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    I am going to assume that Apple has a new iVersion of iWork for WWDC and is using this release to test the software a bit on the iPods and iPhones the new version will support.

The internet is full of examples of simple necessary things iWork can't do. I've been waiting until the next version to upgrade myself. iWork hasn't been updated in a long time, so it is definitely due.

This is not an update, it's more an extension.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I refuse to buy iWork for iOS until apple offers some sort of wireless file transfer, either dropbox or hopefully this new iCloud that's coming out.

I just wirelessly transferred a document I created on my iPhone to iDisk - I can edit, view, delete, etc from all of my devices(Macbook Air, iPad, iPhone, iMac, etc).
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Is the update on iTunes? I searched the App store on my iPhone and nothing came up. When I looked in iTunes it says the app was last updated in January 2011, not May 31.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I think that Apple may just be clearing the decks with this iWork announcement and the iCloud mention -- Gruber said it best: "Guess the keynote is full".
  • Reply 29 of 55
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AudiA4+Quattro View Post

Is the update on iTunes? I searched the App store on my iPhone and nothing came up. When I looked in iTunes it says the app was last updated in January 2011, not May 31.

How hard would it be to click the link from the article from your iPhone?
  • Reply 30 of 55
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    How do you update Keynote for the iPad and not include AirPlay support?

AirPlay is already amazing for presentations when you have a low cast AppleTV in the conference room. Not sure why I cannot throw presentations at it.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Head gaskets.

+++

(And while it's in the shop, have them lubricate the muffler bearing.)
  • Reply 32 of 55
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are you crazy? Have you actually tried to use the latest Microsoft Word? It's a nightmare! Pages is a frickin' dream in comparison.

Thank you!

And Numbers on ipad is freaking awesome. I'm able to whip up a spread sheet in seconds! Who the hell need Windows man. Scr** them. I'll get the whole iworks for iphone on my next paycheck.

HELL YEAH!!!
  • Reply 33 of 55
    silver99silver99 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I've been waiting for Pages on iPhone.

Yay!

Yeah well, I've been waiting too. Far too long. Just jumped ship to Android and am finding the Productivity Apps just as great if not better than Apples'.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, I quit Word and moved all my writing to Pages a couple of years ago. What I'm saying is that when the iPad version of Pages came out I switched all my writing to Pages on the iPad and much prefer writing on the iPad to any other tool as it's always with me and syncs to the cloud.

It's Pages on the iPad that is seriously lacking and it's been a long time between updates. Pages on the iPad does not currently even support the full feature set of Pages. Crucially, (for me), you also can't edit or control style sheets on it at all.

Overall, I find Pages on the iPad to be a fairly boring replication of Pages on the Desktop but with half the features missing and a lot of the flexibility. They need to re-design it for touch to begin with, and find a way to add in the rest of the features without making it all cluttered.

----

Interesting side-note (because I haven't seen it mentioned yet) ....

This latest update for Pages takes away the option of saving to the cloud. (!)

I think this is a clue that the "iCloud" will be saving a mirror of everything in the documents folders of your apps (Pages, Numbers, etc.), because it doesn't make sense to take away the ability to save unless that's the case. If there is no way to save, then it must be saving automatically (I hope).

So Apple have tipped their hand here a bit perhaps.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No, I quit Word and moved all my writing to Pages a couple of years ago. What I'm saying is that when the iPad version of Pages came out I switched all my writing to Pages on the iPad and much prefer writing on the iPad to any other tool as it's always with me and syncs to the cloud.

It's Pages on the iPad that is seriously lacking and it's been a long time between updates. Pages on the iPad does not currently even support the full feature set of Pages. Crucially, (for me), you also can't edit or control style sheets on it at all.

Overall, I find Pages on the iPad to be a fairly boring replication of Pages on the Desktop but with half the features missing and a lot of the flexibility. They need to re-design it for touch to begin with, and find a way to add in the rest of the features without making it all cluttered.

----

Interesting side-note (because I haven't seen it mentioned yet) ....

This latest update for Pages takes away the option of saving to the cloud. (!)

I think this is a clue that the "iCloud" will be saving a mirror of everything in the documents folders of your apps (Pages, Numbers, etc.), because it doesn't make sense to take away the ability to save unless that's the case. If there is no way to save, then it must be saving automatically (I hope).

So Apple have tipped their hand here a bit perhaps.

Hoping for great things with iCloud. Maybe this time they'll finally get it right.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What, no ad-hoc AirPrint support for Keynote to an AppleTV?

You seem to not know what AirPrint is by this question. AirPrint is for PRINTING not for displaying on a screen which is what you'd do with AppleTV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As I understand it there are two ways to use AirPrint. Either a network-capable printer with AirPrint or any printer connected to a networked'PC' with AirPrint installed.

Then you go and get it right here.

That's truly amazing.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

You seem to not know what AirPrint is by this question. AirPrint is for PRINTING not for displaying on a screen which is what you'd do with AppleTV.

Then you go and get it right here.

That's truly amazing.

It's a typo.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

How hard would it be to click the link from the article from your iPhone?

When I called up AppleInsider on my iPhone there were no links, just as on the top of this page. So to answer your rude question it would be pretty hard to click on a non-existent link.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I'd say great timing. Next week they'll tell us how to keep documents from the iPad and iPhone in synch. Right now it's kinda pointless to have pages on iPad and iPhone if you can't access the same documents without a hard sync. Hard syncing sucks.

Btw, I don't get the download indication on iPhone. It says buy, even though I bought it for the iPad already.

A friend had an excellent strategy: he used DropBox to hold the documents for his small company - he, and others, could access and change the documents in DropBox regardless of what the device (iPad, iPhone, MBP, etc.). Thought this was a brilliant strategy that allowed him and his team to access the same file from any device. This might solve synching problems and speed up backups.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silver99 View Post

Yeah well, I've been waiting too. Far too long. Just jumped ship to Android and am finding the Productivity Apps just as great if not better than Apples'.

I just ordered a sandwich and it should be here any moment. I want to feel special so I'm writing to hundreds of people on a forum about it.