Steve Jobs to present iCloud, iOS 5, Lion at Apple's June 6 WWDC keynote

Comments

• Reply 101 of 162
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Just for clarification...

CloudMe is the service that changed its name from iCloud. Apple paid millions not just for the domain name, but for them to rename their service entirely. CloudMe is not Apple.

Also I would bet that Apple's new iCloud starts out free and then they make it a paid service later, either planned or via stealth ninja. Otherwise I don't see how you hook people in this economy. I know I'm strapped and not buying into any new service, especially when I have my own NAS at home.
  • Reply 102 of 162
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

One WiFi network better be dedicated to Steve's address that day or heads will roll.

There was. It wasn't a lack of channels on the network, it was a lack of spectrum space for all of WiFi. 5000 users in one room = radio clog. We essentially broad-spectrum jammed him out of his demo. Not sure how they're going to fix this unless maybe they implement a very strong booster that can blast thru the audience's devices. Either that or force the whole audience to shut down their devices by having equipping all ushers with WiFi sniffers. \
  • Reply 103 of 162
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I think it's the original iCloud domain holder. Sold domain to apple and for now redirecting to couldme (new domain). Good for them for transition and also apple is obviously not going to let us peak at their work in progress. So I don't think this is any way related to the new iCloud service.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now that Apple has officially announced iCloud they may take over the domain prior to WWDC.

When this story first broke a month or two ago iCloud redirected to CloudMe. Meaning, Xcerion sold their iCloud site to Apple and rebranded their service as CloudMe.

I haven't done any domain name setup/web development for over 10 years... so my experience isn't current.

But, I didn't know that you could:

1) set up a domain

2) sell that domain

3) continue redirecting from that domain

The way it used to be done is:

1) for a while the original domain would have an intro page that

2) defaulted to the new owner's site with a slight delay

3) displayed an "are you looking for" message and new link to the old owner's new site

4) after a reasonable time (1-2 weeks/months, depending) any reference to the old owner's site was purged -- as if the domain had always belonged to the new owner.

Are you saying that on some cutoff date (June 6) the redirect to the CloudMe will be removed?

This seems rather clumsy -- very non-Apple-like.
  • Reply 104 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

He probably meant medical leave. And yes, he's still CEO anyway.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-17/t...ans?_s=PM:TECH

1) Not quoting who you're responding can make it hard to follow your posts, especially in busy threads.

2) That CNN blurb contradicts what Jobs quote as still being CEO when it says Cook will take control. If you are still acting CEO then you are in control and responsible for the company, regardless if you are working from home.

3) Jobs stated, "Tim Cook to be responsible for all of Apple?s day to day operations." That's giving more responsibility, but it's not the same position he was 2 years prior when Cook was acting CEO.

4) The fact that Jobs is acting CEO seems clear that we should expect to see Jobs on stage again.

5) I don't get these comments that Jobs should go away so that Apple can stand on its own. He's been grooming his execs and customers for years now by letting them announce more and more of the keynote. I think Cook is the likely successor and expect any drop in the stock to be short-lived when Jobs officially announces his retirement (which I think it not unlikely next week).
  • Reply 105 of 162
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I haven't done any domain name setup/web development for over 10 years... so my experience isn't current.

But, I didn't know that you could:

1) set up a domain

2) sell that domain

3) continue redirecting from that domain

The way it used to be done is:

1) for a while the original domain would have an intro page that

2) defaulted to the new owner's site with a slight delay

3) displayed an "are you looking for" message and new link to the old owner's new site

4) after a reasonable time (1-2 weeks/months, depending) any reference to the old owner's site was purged -- as if the domain had always belonged to the new owner.

Are you saying that on some cutoff date (June 6) the redirect to the CloudMe will be removed?

This seems rather clumsy -- very non-Apple-like.

They probably have an agreement in place to redirect until a certain date (June 5? End of May?) This would be more Apple-like than the "way it used to be done" otherwise the site would redirect to Apple.com with a link to cloudme.com which may come across as Apple having something to do with them. I suspect that before June 6th the icloud.com page will no longer redirect to cloudme.com
  • Reply 106 of 162
    edit: Pipped by OriginalG.
  • Reply 107 of 162
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

They probably have an agreement in place to redirect until a certain date (June 5? End of May?) This would be more Apple-like than the "way it used to be done" otherwise the site would redirect to Apple.com with a link to cloudme.com which may come across as Apple having something to do with them. I suspect that before June 6th the icloud.com page will no longer redirect to cloudme.com

Ahh... makes good sense.

Also, kinda' glad that what i tried (CloudMe) is not what Apple will offer with iCloud...

... my overall impression of CloudMe is: "Is that all there is?"
  • Reply 108 of 162
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

If they nail the iCloud this will be HUGE, but that's a big "IF".

No more syncing to computer please.

Exactly.

Come to think of it...

People often complain about iOS not having a file system. I always disagree because file systems are very archaic, pointless to the end user and just suck major balls.

Now, what if all iOS apps can save data to the iCloud service? iOS won't even need a file system, all documents, pictures, songs are stored in the cloud and accessible by all apps, both on iOS and OSX.

Sounds like a very Apple way to do things imo.
  • Reply 109 of 162
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Are you sure?

The iCloud site owned by Apple redirects to the CloudMe site...

That is a bit odd. Maybe they bought the whole company and are currently in stealth mode.
  • Reply 110 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That is a bit odd. Maybe they bought the whole company and are currently in stealth mode.

That's improbable. It would mean that Apple didn't just buy cloud.com but also bought Xcerion service. Then to throw people off the trail they then revamped the entire iCloud product, moved everything to CouldMe.com instead of just staying were they were until the change next week. That's a circuitous plan that doesn't add any value to Apple.
  • Reply 111 of 162
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so with SJ doing the keynote

he's heathy and kicking butt

one more thing----iphone 5/4s
  • Reply 112 of 162
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Whew! It's great that Apple has executives with experience to ignore kibitzers with none!

You talkin' to me??
  • Reply 113 of 162
    freethinkerfreethinker Posts: 122member
    Having used the iPhone 4 for approximately a year now I can safely say that there is nothing that I would change about it. I upgraded from an LG Shine and never had a smartphone before this one and the iPhone 4 has increased my quality of life immensely more than I ever thought a "cell phone" could. To all those who think that iOS 5.0 is a meh news story think again. I am so very excited to see how Apple improves something that I already think is miles ahead of anything else on the market.

Apple is pushing technology forward whereas most other tech companies are copying each other... Give props where its deserved!
  • Reply 114 of 162
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

To be clear, Jobs was never gone. In 2008 he did take a 6 month leave, but this year he was simply working from home more often.

To be perfectly clear, in my mind Jobs will never be gone.
  • Reply 115 of 162
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No one with the ability to make a straight iOS emulator has the guts (read: stupidity) to do so out of fear of Apple.

i was supposing Apple would build the emulator into Lion itself. or maybe sell it as an add on.
  • Reply 116 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

i was supposing Apple would build the emulator into Lion itself. or maybe sell it as an add on.

Then what would be the point of buying an iDevice? It isn't happening ever.
  • Reply 117 of 162
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Quote:

Are you sure?

The iCloud site owned by Apple redirects to the CloudMe site...

Yes, Apple bought the name from this other company, and now that Apple owns it they are redirecting visitors to the new site that the old owner is now calling CloudMe. At least that's how I see it. Also, the CloudMe site uses graphics and layout that are not Apple standard for all their pages.
  • Reply 118 of 162
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You [magicj] have posted multiple times in this thread saying the same thing, i.e., how bored you are. Please add something to the discussion, or get lost. (I know what I'd prefer you do....)

As a reminder to all who get annoyed with the trolls, if yo scroll to the top of the page on the left side is a link to your User CP. Once there you can create an "ignore" list where you enter the name of the offender. From then on those posts won't be visible. Rumor has it that a future version of vBulletin (the comments engine) will notify people when they are on five or more "ignore" lists. And "ignore" hall of shame is in the works as well that will add some word or phrase like "IGNORED BY 50 COMMENTERS" under their avatar.
  • Reply 119 of 162
    Quote:

Ahh... makes good sense.

Also, kinda' glad that what i tried (CloudMe) is not what Apple will offer with iCloud...

... my overall impression of CloudMe is: "Is that all there is?"

Dick, I was also taken in by the "cloudme" thing. As soon as the link was posted much earlier in this thread I clicked it and signed up several userids for my wife, daughter, and myself. Then I downloaded their app and discovered how truly atrocious it looked and I figured that this simply can't be Apple. I don't know a thing about the Linux UI that you mentioned earlier but what I saw looked so "windows-like" that I knew this had to be non-Apple (null-A?).

We have no idea what the Apple offering will look like but I do know that beginning next Sunday I will be logging into icloud.com every so often just to get an early jump on userids. Times have changed and even unusual names like "tod" or "pandora" get snapped up fast. When I originally got my CA vanity plate of APPL II in 1979 I was surprised to find that it was available and that I had beaten you, Mark, Sarkis and all 50 Apple employees to it.
  • Reply 120 of 162
    Quote:

That's improbable. It would mean that Apple didn't just buy cloud.com but also bought Xcerion service. Then to throw people off the trail they then revamped the entire iCloud product, moved everything to CouldMe.com instead of just staying were they were until the change next week. That's a circuitous plan that doesn't add any value to Apple.

Apple is nothing if not circuitous and devious.

PS: You new sig contains some very helpful advice. I had simply copied the ~/Library folder to my side bar but your trick works better.