Microsoft demonstrates Windows 8 with HTML5 apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 177
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Personally, I like this because I love WP7. Minimalism is what I'm all about, which is why I love the UI. It's simple yet crams a lot into a small space.

Depending on what Apple brings to iOS5, I might be moving to a WP7 phone (assuming I can find some decent hardware which is the hardest part).

I'll never leave my OS X, tho, while I do like the Win8 preview, it's gonna take a lot more to pull my actual computer back to Windows.
  • Reply 22 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually Steve's laughing... he knows that W8 will be just that... meanwhile Apple will be out with similar or better about 9 months earlier...

Prediction 1: Windows 8 will be the best selling version of Windows EVER.

Prediciton 2: Apple will continue to outpace the PC market furthering it's revenue, profit and valuation lead from MS.
  • Reply 23 of 177
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Microsoft schooled Apple on this one, a week before Apple. You know Steve has to be pissed. You have to admit, no one saw Microsoft doing this so soon.

Steve no pissed... How can he be schooled on something that will be released, when?...

Exactly!

Well we know from the video that some more videos will be released in the upcoming months.

By then, however, in a weeks time, the press and the people will all be abuzz from the news from Cupertino and this little announcement will be nothing but a footnote in the scheme of Apple things. Sorry! \

/

/

/
  • Reply 24 of 177
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    First time I see a Windows demo and am impressed. That, on the first look, seems like a nice interface. Remains to be seen is how well it is actually implemented in real life use.
  • Reply 25 of 177
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Microsoft schooled Apple on this one, a week before Apple. You know Steve has to be pissed. You have to admit, no one saw Microsoft doing this so soon.

They showed a demo. What is being shown on Monday by Apple is iOS5 and OS X Lion. iOS 5 will be available to developers THAT DAY and released by end of summer to coincide with the iPhone 5 launch. Windows 8? Well, we MIGHT get that next year sometime.
  • Reply 26 of 177
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    When we tell you this is really going to be different.

We've changed everything. Except for the stuff we know you will never be able to unlearn, like Office.

It's a brand new important interface, full of things you're supposed to believe are on a part of the screen you can't see and therefore can't actually build a mental map of. Except for when you have to use the old stuff we can't be bothered to shoehorn into this new interface, in which case forget all that new stuff.

And of those of you who just can't be bothered moving a finger all the way into the middle of a 10" screen - we've got an app for that.

Wail till you see how great combo boxes look in these new colors.
  • Reply 27 of 177
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But why not evolve WP7 to a tablet form-factor?

WP7 is based on WinCE, which is pretty crud OS. It's not modular and doesn't scale well.

It would also be a hard sell for Microsoft if they just did exactly the same thing as Apple.

There are some people that can totally replace their PC with a tablet, but for most people the tablet is something of a "companion device". If Microsoft are able to leverage their cloud property to tie Windows 8 tablet with Windows 8 notebook/desktop and make it the perfect "companion device" then they at least have a point of difference over Apple.

Another point of difference would be to blend the two together.

Of course they could have done this using WP7 as a base, but it would have been bloody hard because of the reasons mentioned above about WinCE.
  • Reply 28 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Hi. I look like Jony Ive, so maybe this time you'll believe us.

LOL It did look the MS versioning of Ive.
  • Reply 29 of 177
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

If Microsoft are able to leverage their cloud property to tie Windows 8 tablet with Windows 8 notebook/desktop and make it the perfect "companion device" then they at least have a point of difference over Apple.

ANy hope of that difference is going away Monday when Apple releases iCloud. What will it do? Simple... NO SYNC. That means all your content will be available on any Apple laptop/phone/tablet. You buy it and use it anywhere and with no storage concerns. That's my input.

When this happens, these devices are no longer companions, but standalone and stand together as a tighter ecosystem Microsoft won't be able to match because of their fragmented OSes
  • Reply 30 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Although the use of HTML5 is interesting. It denotes the complete failure of Silverlight.

Best to wait until you have all of the information I think. I wouldn't be surprised if they supported Silverlight alongside HTML5.

Any developer will tell you there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution.
  • Reply 31 of 177
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Whether people like to admit it or not, Microsoft does supply great development tools. Sure, they are disparate and some of them still have lots of legacy baggage (hello .NET) but Microsoft cares a great deal about its developers.

I think this is a positive move for developers and it seems MS is finally getting the message that the platforms need to start to merge. Someone there is paying attention at least.

Huh?

All they would have to do is port .NET to whatever platform they wanted (like ARM) and it would (essentially) be plug and play with .NET apps.
  • Reply 32 of 177

this is just microsoft's response to lion...which obviously is vaporware

the actual windows 8 will be available by 2015
  • Reply 33 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Any hope of that difference is going away Monday when Apple releases iCloud.

I meant Microsoft could leverage the Windows install base to sell Windows tablets if they tie them together with cloud integration.

I agree Apple will do the same thing, but from the other side. They will leverage the iOS install base to sell Macs when they tie them together with iCloud.
  • Reply 34 of 177
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    More ho-hum from the Redmond folks at MajorCrap. <<Yawn>>
  • Reply 35 of 177
    Honestly that UI kills iOS. I'm not so sure a full version of windows needs to be on a tablet, and I dont understand how this is meant to be used on a laptop, but the basic layout of the homescreens looks so much cleaner and more functional than ios4, which has pretty much looked the same since 2007. Apple needs to step it up beyond a grid of icons and some widgets.
  • Reply 36 of 177
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

ANy hope of that difference is going away Monday when Apple releases iCloud. What will it do? Simple... NO SYNC. That means all your content will be available on any Apple laptop/phone/tablet. You buy it and use it anywhere and with no storage concerns. That's my input.

When this happens, these devices are no longer companions, but standalone and stand together as a tighter ecosystem Microsoft won't be able to match because of their fragmented OSes

Its a good idea, but I don't think the bandwidth required for this is quite there yet (at least in the US).
  • Reply 37 of 177
    Who schooled who? Apple did a back to Mac, taking things from iOS back to Mac OS X, next thing you know Microsoft is taking things from Windows Phone 7 back to Windows.

Now you tell me who is schooling who!
  • Reply 38 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Too little, say hello to too late.

Although this will still have 85% market share at some point. MS's Monopoly power isn't going away anytime.

'Too late' is right. But I dunno about 85% market share. Those days are done.
  • Reply 40 of 177
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

bdkennedy

You have to admit, no one saw Microsoft doing this so soon.

Why is it good for MS to have shown this so soon? This is just another MS concept video tossed out before another real Apple product. Remember the Courier? Everyone always trots out a bunch of half-baked crap before a big Apple announcement. That is part of the reason why this stuff pales in comparison to the Apple experience. Look at Amazon and Google. They both just announce music storage services. So desperate were they that they didn't even bother to secure proper licenses. They just vomited something up to get something out there before Apple announced their cloud service. Notice how Apple didn't announce anything before it was ready. This move by MS just shows how desperate and behind they are, and are about to be.