Nokia denies $19B Microsoft purchase, but rumored deal viewed as boon for Apple

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 50
    Nokia's market share has been going downhill for some time now, but Apple is not a big factor in this. It is Samsung (and to a lesser extent, Android OS in general) who has gobbled up Nokia's market share. Even Samsung's own Bada OS has 8% market share in France, for instance. No matter what happens, Apple's market share is going nowhere. I would be surprised if they get even 7% worldwide.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by androider View Post


    Nokia's market share has been going downhill for some time now, but Apple is not a big factor in this. It is Samsung (and to a lesser extent, Android OS in general) who has gobbled up Nokia's market share. Even Samsung's own Bada OS has 8% market share in France, for instance. No matter what happens, Apple's market share is going nowhere. I would be surprised if they get even 7% worldwide.



    Your ID says all that needs to be said to show that you are biased and not objective. Your agenda is showing.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    With Nokia moving to the Windows camp, it very much looks like the smartphone pecking order is due for a major change over the next 12 months.



    This would be the perfect time for Apple to cash in on the "move away from Symbian" mad rush, by releasing a cheaper iPhone.



    I really hope the cheap iPhone rumors play out.



    Also - I wonder if all this talk of iPhone 4GS or iPhone 5, whatever it is called, being put off to September is somehow connected to poorer than expected sales of the Verizon iPhone. If Verizon/Apple is sitting on tons of iPhone 4 CDMA inventory, it makes sense for them to delay the launch of the new iPhone till they can get rid of the inventory.



    PS - I am not claiming that sales of the CDMA iPhone are bad - just saying that they might be less than expectations.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    How so? Unless you think sunk costs matter?



    It's not a sunk cost until you sink it.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post


    With Nokia moving to the Windows camp, it very much looks like the smartphone pecking order is due for a major change over the next 12 months.



    This would be the perfect time for Apple to cash in on the "move away from Symbian" mad rush, by releasing a cheaper iPhone.



    I really hope the cheap iPhone rumors play out.



    Also - I wonder if all this talk of iPhone 4GS or iPhone 5, whatever it is called, being put off to September is somehow connected to poorer than expected sales of the Verizon iPhone. If Verizon/Apple is sitting on tons of iPhone 4 CDMA inventory, it makes sense for them to delay the launch of the new iPhone till they can get rid of the inventory.



    PS - I am not claiming that sales of the CDMA iPhone are bad - just saying that they might be less than expectations.



    Apple already sells a cheaper iPhone-- it's called the 3GS. And when an updated iPhone 4 or an all new iPhone 5 are released, the cheap, prior generation iPhone will ratchet up accordingly. This has always been Apple strategy with regards to product stratification-- add value to the top end, migrate features and performance down the line, all within a pretty stable pricing structure.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Apple already sells a cheaper iPhone-- it's called the 3GS. And when an updated iPhone 4 or an all new iPhone 5 are released, the cheap, prior generation iPhone will ratchet up accordingly. This has always been Apple strategy with regards to product stratification-- add value to the top end, migrate features and performance down the line, all within a pretty stable pricing structure.



    You still seem to be confused with the subsidised pricing. The iPhone 3GS sells for NZ$919, which is US$750. That is not much different to the iPhone 4 pricing, and significantly more expensive than some of cheaper Android phones the poster was probably referring to.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    You still seem to be confused with the subsidised pricing. The iPhone 3GS sells for NZ$919, which is US$750. That is not much different to the iPhone 4 pricing, and significantly more expensive than some of cheaper Android phones the poster was probably referring to.



    Talk to your local provider, because if they take a phone they're buying for $450 US and selling it for $750 US, you're getting ripped off, and there's nothing Apple can do about it. If they sell a $150US phone and your provider sells it for $450, you'll still complain.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member
    450USD is around 517 in Kiwi. Have you get jfanning to fly over to Bangkok? A Hong Kong-spec whole work for iPhone 3GS here sold around NZ$510. The package includes ear bud, box, USB cable and a wall charger. They are all unlocked from the factory so no jailbreaking required. Restore it with iTunes stateside and none would be the wiser.



    And make that NZ$913 for iPhone 4. The same factory-unlocked set.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Talk to your local provider, because if they take a phone they're buying for $450 US and selling it for $750 US, you're getting ripped off, and there's nothing Apple can do about it. If they sell a $150US phone and your provider sells it for $450, you'll still complain.



    Talk to my local provider? The price of the iPhone is set by Apple, Apple can do everything about it, these prices are apple.co.nz



    iPhone 3GS NZ$919

    iPhone 4 16GB NZ$1123

    iPhone 4 32GB NZ$1328
  • Reply 50 of 50
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post


    450USD is around 517 in Kiwi. Have you get jfanning to fly over to Bangkok? A Hong Kong-spec whole work for iPhone 3GS here sold around NZ$510. The package includes ear bud, box, USB cable and a wall charger. They are all unlocked from the factory so no jailbreaking required. Restore it with iTunes stateside and none would be the wiser.



    And make that NZ$913 for iPhone 4. The same factory-unlocked set.



    Plus NZ$1700 flight, plus accommodation....



    No thanks
Sign In or Register to comment.