WWDC 2011 banners going up at Moscone Center

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Putting the iCloud icon on an equal footing with Lion and iOS 5 really reinforces that idea-- the layout suggests fundamental integration across Apple's product line.

Or, maybe even more radically, iCloud is a 3rd* "operating system." Maybe iCloud is much bigger than anyone has been thinking.

Sure things like syncing of content across devices will be part of it. Sure integration with the mobile and desktop operating systems will be part of it. But let's take a step back for a moment...

MobileMe consists of a set of web(cloud)-based applications.

There's that iWork.com thing.

Maybe iCloud is an entire platform for delivering content and cloud-based applications from Apple and 3rd parties. The first "consumer cloud operating system?"

That would make the equal-footing positioning, plus the algorithm of: Mac OS X Lion + iOS 5 + iCloud = WWDC make a lot more sense.

*I know Mac OS X and iOS are really two variations of the same OS.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't think we can rule out a surprise hardware announcement. Not necessarily going to happen, of course, but typically for Apple we'd never see it coming.

MacBook Airs.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    For sure iCloud will be accessible by third party apps through new APIs in both Mac OS and iOS. Syncing your apps though multiple iOS devices is a must in my opinion.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    freethinkerfreethinker Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

A beta will probably be released to developers, either on June 6 or soon after.

No iPhone 4GS. iCloud, OS X, and iOS 5.

I think that a surprise hardware announcement, a la new iPhone model would send AAPL $360 and beyond...
  • Reply 25 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I definitely like the new one better; I'm just not sure what it stands for yet.

Looks like the revamping of the ol' iSync button to me.
    I hope we don't see this iCloud icon as an app without deep integration into iOS 5.0 so you don't need an app. For example, the iPod app on the iPhone will have an option to access your iCloud content from within the app.

Note that iSync.app was included with Mac OS X from 10.2 to 10.6, even as SyncServices.framework and iTunes has taken over its duties. As of 10.7 iSync.app is not present.

edit: There is a FileSync.app that uses the same logo as iSync.app save for it being orange instead of brushed metal.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Or, maybe even more radically, iCloud is a 3rd* "operating system." Maybe iCloud is much bigger than anyone has been thinking.

Sure things like syncing of content across devices will be part of it. Sure integration with the mobile and desktop operating systems will be part of it. But let's take a step back for a moment...

MobileMe consists of a set of web(cloud)-based applications.

There's that iWork.com thing.

Maybe iCloud is an entire platform for delivering content and cloud-based applications from Apple and 3rd parties. The first "consumer cloud operating system?"

That would make the equal-footing positioning, plus the algorithm of: Mac OS X Lion + iOS 5 + iCloud = WWDC make a lot more sense.

*I know Mac OS X and iOS are really two variations of the same OS.

Very, very interesting idea. I do highly doubt it since Apple is first and foremost a hardware maker, but it is interesting none the less.
  • Reply 27 of 103
    scoatesscoates Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

There won't be any iPhone, iPod, or Mac announcements. Apple has made that pretty clear.

Time Capsule with iCloud isn't a bad guess. There have been reports of Airport shortages. I'm not sure why it would be a "one more thing" though. It would have to be very impressive, and I don't know what that would entail.

Maybe my long time dream of a Time Capsule that doubles as an iTunes media server will come true...
  • Reply 28 of 103
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope we don't see this iCloud icon as an app without deep integration into iOS 5.0 so you don't need an app. For example, the iPod app on the iPhone will have an option to access your iCloud content from within the app.

Note that iSync.app was included with Mac OS X from 10.2 to 10.6, even as SyncServices.framework and iTunes has taken over its duties. As of 10.7 iSync.app is not present.

I agree with icon being a comb of isync and idisk. I definitley think we will see the icloud icon in the top right on both mac os x and ios5. I also agree that the integration and how intuitive it is will determine it's success.

another guess: one more thing, a new iwork with iwork.com finally coming out of beta. Possibly being built into icloud or at least with deep integration.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

Lion + 5 + Metal Cloud = WWDC

Lion * 5 * Metal Cloud = Voltron

Apple's moto: Every dark cloud has a silver lining. Even MobileMe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scoates View Post

Maybe my long time dream of a Time Capsule that doubles as an iTunes media server will come true...

I've been waiting for an iOS/ARM-based revamping of their Time Capsule with multiple HDDs to make it a proper home server product for years. Hopefully I get my wish.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

When you add to that the fact that iSync is missing from Lion it makes sense that it's a DropBox type icon/folder and that putting something in it syncs with all your iOS devices and desktop LockBoxes automatically.

I hope so. The way that DropBox currently integrates into the operating system is very nice. I just put stuff into a folder and it's automatically synced, and accessible from multiple platforms including Windows and iOS.

I wonder if the new iCloud will function this way, if it will include more than the 2GB that DropBox gives for free, and if it will work with Windows.
  • Reply 31 of 103
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes, that's definitely what it's looking like. I believe iCloud integration will be a lot of the major revamping of iOS. Now, how much of it will be new to us, but common to Android (like user info syncing across any device) is the ticker. I can see a lot of it as being very similar to Android's syncing (which is great for new devices), but I'm looking forward to even greater things.

I think we'll see "wireless tech" period being integrated more deeply: from app info syncing, to deeper AirPlay integration, to social elements, to data backup. I'm very interested in seeing if there are any significant UI changes in iOS. We could see a rethinking of the homescreen, or not. I'm excited for Monday.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I hope so. The way that DropBox currently integrates into the operating system is very nice. I just put stuff into a folder and it's automatically synced, and accessible from multiple platforms including Windows and iOS.

I wonder if the new iCloud will function this way

If you turn on iDisk sync, MobileMe already works this way.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Please dear sweet baby Jesus, let the "one more thing" be that iPhone is coming to Sprint.
  • Reply 34 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Yes, that's definitely what it's looking like. I believe iCloud integration will be a lot of the major revamping of iOS. Now, how much of it will be new to us, but common to Android (like user info syncing across any device) is the ticker. I can see a lot of it as being very similar to Android's syncing (which is great for new devices), but I'm looking forward to even greater things.

I think we'll see "wireless tech" period being integrated more deeply: from app info syncing, to deeper AirPlay integration, to social elements, to data backup. I'm very interested in seeing if there are any significant UI changes in iOS. We could see a rethinking of the homescreen, or not. I'm excited for Monday.

1) MR has a report of the new AirPort/TC keeping a log of devices that use that network and downloading a single copy of that file and then doing the install on the LAN. That has several clear benefits and also makes me wonder if wireless syncing will come with IOS 5.0 since such an intelligent service could allow for remote syncing independent of a Mac on and running iTunes.

2) I think we'll be getting widgets next week if that rumor of Twitter integration is true. I can't think of another reason for Twitter to be integration if not to have access to tweets from the lock screen.

3) I expect Apple to offer a certain portion of their backup and sync services for free for iTunes Store account holders but note that MobileMe/.Mac users have had this for years. I find the service indispensable that I'm willing to spend $65/year on it.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Very exciting! I can't wait!
  • Reply 36 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Please dear sweet baby Jesus, let the "one more thing" be that iPhone is coming to Sprint.

I second that!
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

People can say what they like about Apple, but nobody generates excitement like they do.

I can't imagine sitting with a drink and watching any other company's keynotes!! lol

Agreed! Maybe a Ferrari keynote, but that's about it for me!
  • Reply 38 of 103
    idji73idji73 Posts: 2member
    Haven't seen all the banners posted every year, but this one needs a little pizazz
  • Reply 39 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idji73 View Post

Haven't seen all the banners posted every year, but this one needs a little pizazz

The two largest facets of Apple software are getting major updates and a third is being created.

You want "pizazz", stare at some banners for Adobe and Microsoft for a while. Apple's products make the advertising, not the other way around.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

If you turn on iDisk sync, MobileMe already works this way.

At about one third the speed of DropBox though.