Apple adds Universal as iCloud licensing partner

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has signed a licensing deal with Universal Music Group, incorporating all four of the major record companies into its iTunes iCloud music plans.

Citing "sources with knowledge of the talks," CNET reported today that, in addition to Universal, Apple has also reached agreements with "some of the large music publishers."

Apple announced earlier this week that it would feature iCloud at its Worldwide Developers Conference next week, detailing its plans for the new web service.

It is believed that Apple's iCloud will deliver a streaming media repository for users' commercial digital content. iOS 5 is also expected to add new features that make it easy for users to automatically upload and publish their photos, movies, and other content directly from iOS mobile devices.

Apple already offers some basic streaming music and content sharing via MobileMe, but the new iCloud is understood to dramatically expand upon these features and add new ones.

Banners being erected at Moscone Center in preparation for WWDC depict iCloud alongside Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5 as primary subjects of the annual conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has signed a licensing deal with Universal Music Group, incorporating all four of the major record companies into its iTunes iCloud music plans.

Citing "sources with knowledge of the talks," CNET reported today that, in addition to Universal, Apple has also reached agreements with "some of the large music publishers."

Apple announced earlier this week that it would feature iCloud at its Worldwide Developers Conference next week, detailing its plans for the new web service.

It is believed that Apple's iCloud will deliver a streaming media repository for users' commercial digital content. iOS 5 is also expected to add new features that make it easy for users to automatically upload and publish their photos, movies, and other content directly from iOS mobile devices.

Apple already offers some basic streaming music and content sharing via MobileMe, but the new iCloud is understood to dramatically expand upon these features and add new ones.

Banners being erected at Moscone Center in preparation for WWDC depict iCloud alongside Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5 as primary subjects of the annual conference.

While it is very nice that Apple is unveiling with all their ducks in order (ibooks, ATV2 with tv renting) I am much more interested in the film studios being on board.

My reasoning is with my ATV2 I want access to all my purchased movies all the time ( I like to own movies). The problem is i only have a laptop, and having it open/on all the time is less than ideal. Having access to all my movies to stream while at home or over any wifi would be fantastic.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wonder in all these changes going on any day now if Apple is going to tackle the thorny issue of current TV content. What is sorely needed IMHO is a subscription model rather than only for rent? That is surely the future of TV, streamed to any device on demand the same day as the show comes out for a reasonable monthly fee. Perhaps with or without ads at two prices.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wonder in all these changes going on any day now if Apple is going to tackle the thorny issue of current TV content. What is sorely needed IMHO is a subscription model rather than only for rent? That is surely the future of TV, streamed to any device on demand the same day as the show comes out for a reasonable monthly fee. Perhaps with or without ads at two prices.

Can't you use Hulu for that?

The incessant commercials in it have stopped me using it, however. They really pile the ads on to the point the show is basically unwatchable.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    madhatter61madhatter61 Posts: 116member
    Any computer, being not absolutely infallible, it behoves each of us to backup, duplicate and sometimes even backup our backups. Now we are acquiring a wider variety of devices. With SSD high speed storage become more and more prevalent, capacities are quite a bit less than with rotating disk storage, something dramatic is wanted and needed for mass storage, convenient storage, fast data transfer and easy syncing.

Also with the advent of Thunderbolt, especially in Apples' powerful note books MBP, and desktop, iMac. Yes there is the Mac tower. Coming is Macbook AIR with thunderbolt. Perhaps even iPad2 or the next generation model, don't know when ... but I think it is fair to assume reasonably soon.

Apple has been preparing for the eventuality of cloud storage, distribution, syncing libraries, etc.

This means wireless, but most wireless is slow and expensive when dealing with large backups. The huge facility in North Carolina ... more being developed on the West Coast and perhaps other countries as well (don't know much about the latter, but it would be fair to assume Apple has a long term plan).

So by investing in the domain name iCloud, and all that will come to mean ... by working with content providers for Music, Movies, TV, Radio, etc. ... it will be exciting to having a technically advanced infrastructure, that is EZ to work with and use, and hopefully economically reasonable. Free is not thinkable, since we live in a capitalistic society. Major software developers are on board and are coming up with wonderful apps.

Just my overview and observation of new and exceptional performing mobile and desktop computing devices. FWIW ... looking forward to June 6 announcements
  • Reply 5 of 10
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    If what has been said is true. (That Apple will scan our iTunes libraries and have it available for us in the Clouds).

This also means that Apple will have ways to scan our entire stuff. (Videos, Pictures, Files, Music, & Movies). But only if we give them permission to do so.

It will take a lot of Trust. (I am trusting of them) But mainly because this would be Hugh. No more worries about where I have them stored. No more worries about not having enough capacity.

It will be a little scary about some stuff. But without that trust, we would not progress to the Clouds full potential.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

While it is very nice that Apple is unveiling with all their ducks in order (ibooks, ATV2 with tv renting) I am much more interested in the film studios being on board.

My reasoning is with my ATV2 I want access to all my purchased movies all the time ( I like to own movies). The problem is i only have a laptop, and having it open/on all the time is less than ideal. Having access to all my movies to stream while at home or over any wifi would be fantastic.

Agreed! When reading the article, my first thought was, I hope the Movie industry is taking note! As with music, Jobs has proven "easy" trumps "free!" (To some degree, anyway!)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

If what has been said is true. (That Apple will scan our iTunes libraries and have it available for us in the Clouds).

This also means that Apple will have ways to scan our entire stuff. (Videos, Pictures, Files, Music, & Movies). But only if we give them permission to do so.

It will take a lot of Trust. (I am trusting of them) But mainly because this would be Hugh. No more worries about where I have them stored. No more worries about not having enough capacity.

It will be a little scary about some stuff. But without that trust, we would not progress to the Clouds full potential.

Apple has been scanning our/your library for a couple years now with Genius. Apple is using this information to deliver a better experience for their customer's, not to sell you ads.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

The incessant commercials in it have stopped me using it, however. They really pile the ads on to the point the show is basically unwatchable.

Even without commercials Hulu is more limited than iTunes Store TV show rentals. For instance, TV shows can can copied to a device to viewed offline with iTS and are better quality than Hulu's 480p bit rate. The latter isn't' a deal breaker but the former is if you want to watch TV shows on a flight that doesn't have WiFi. Even if you do have WiFi will it be fast enough to make it use of Hulu's streaming?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has signed a licensing deal with Universal Music Group, incorporating all four of the major record companies into its iTunes iCloud music plans. [...]

Apple does their due diligence, takes the time to negotiate, and pays the content providers.

Google says "Yay! Open!", dumps beta software onto the market, and gets shut out of content deals.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Sadly, Hulu is not available on Apple TV (un hacked).