Apple execs "overtly optimistic" about iOS, see tablets outpacing PCs soon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    jonrojonro Posts: 64member
    There is one big thing preventing iPad sales from overwhelming PC sales: You need a PC in order to sync an iPad (or an iPhone). I would love to get an iPhone and/or an iPad for my mother, but she does not have or want a computer. If Apple turns these IOS devices into independent devices (with Internet access), then they may be right.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by avium View Post

Does anyone else think that Microsoft is making a potentially retarded decision re standardizing to HTML / JavaScript?

Yes.

(This coming from a person whose favorite programming language is JavaScript.)

Edit: Just discovered they will also suppot .Net.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20110602/tc_zd/265176 (All the way at the bottom of the article)
  • Reply 23 of 43
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonro View Post

There is one big thing preventing iPad sales from overwhelming PC sales: You need a PC in order to sync an iPad (or an iPhone). I would love to get an iPhone and/or an iPad for my mother, but she does not have or want a computer. If Apple turns these IOS devices into independent devices (with Internet access), then they may be right.

Speculation time:

The Airport routers and Time Capsule devices have been pulled and are not available right now, signalling a refresh soon.

Apple is going to announce iOS 5 soon, and one of the rumored features is over the air upgrades. I wonder if over the air backups to a Time Capsule will come with it.

Think about it: a new Time Capsule could facilitate Internet access and device backup, negating the need for a PC.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What the heck is 'overtly' optimistic? As opposed to being secretly optimistic?

Or, did the analyst mean 'overly,' which would have a very different connotation.....

That's funny! Love it.

They were overly optimistic about Ping too I would suppose.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonro View Post

Not for an iPad anyway. You can buy all the content you want and leave it on the iPad forever without ever having to sync. You can do updates too.

And who says a PC? Buy an iMac instead to sync that shiny new iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You don't build anything. You don't design anything. You assemble parts that others have designed, manufactured, and marketed, the same parts that go into numerous devices. You are no different than the typical Foxconn worker. And you have the nerve to tell people you build your own computers?! That and a dozen roses wouldn't get you a girlfriend either. But I guess it puffs up your self worth and gives you that superior feeling. I'd like to see you "build" a tablet.

1. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Build

And I quote:
    Quote:

to construct (especially something complex) by assembling and joining parts or materials: to build a house.

2.Please point to the EXACT phrase were I Specifically tell people to build their own PC's.

3. The Girlfriend joke, is pathetic...seriously, it's almost as common as Godwin's law.

4. You can build many things. Bikes, Fans, PC's, Laptops(<---hell) the list can go on. It's entirely possible to build a tablet.

http://thecustomizewindows.com/2011/...-in-under-500/

So yes, if tablets go the way of PC's or laptops in terms of availability, there WILL be component suppliers and part sellers. The only thing to be seen would be connectivity and battery life.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

You do realize that Apple execs are usually VERY reserved with the media regarding the sales and marketing of Apple's products. This is actually very significant news when Apple takes the wraps off internal sales optimism to allow it to get to the media.

Please note I am NOT referring to Apple's boundless enthusiasm about the quality and impact of their products but the sales of same.

Overtly is a GREAT word. Good to see real vocabulary being used.

Finally, a guy that gets it. I thought, for sure, Solip would set everyone straight but he seems to have glazed over the between the lines meaning, also.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Sorry, I still don't think this is significant news.

Its true that Apple has a history sandbagging upcoming quarterly results numbers. However, lets look at the actual statement:

"[Cook] sees no reason why the tablet market shouldn’t eclipse the PC market over the next several years."

Making a statement that they are "overtly" aka "openly" enthusiasm about potential iPad market share years into the future is no where close to a change from their sandbagging approach. They will continue to sandbag actual numbers for the iPad.

They can be openly enthusiastic all they want. Its not the same thing as commiting to an actually upcoming quarterly result. In my opinion, this is NOT anything you can hold them to and NOT news. This is the pretty much the same thing they have been saying for a while now "we believe the post-PC era in upon us" or words to the that effect. Read the statement again folks.. don't read more into it than was is stated. This is NOT a change in position. It is a carefully crafted statement which commits to nothing. Heck he didn't even say an Apple Tablet! He was just referring to the tablet market in general.

ps. It is comical me to see someone showing off their vocabulary skills... when they can just as easily use another "layman's" word with the same meaning thus allow a greater number of readers to "get the true meaning". Trying to show off how smart you are, backfires on you if you fail to meet the primary goal of your job; communicating something clearly to your readers.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Overtly is right. Executives can be coy with analysts, as any information given is "forward looking". It's not a press conference either, so they don't tend to be sales men. In this case they didn't hide their optimism.

Overly would be a judgement call- the analyst would be saying they were over- confident.

Thank you for explaining that. Two totally different meanings. I was going to explain that when I first read it, but was called away.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

Sorry, I still don't think this is significant news.

Its true that Apple has a history sandbagging upcoming quarterly results numbers. However, lets look at the actual statement:

"[Cook] sees no reason why the tablet market shouldn?t eclipse the PC market over the next several years."

Making a statement that they are "overtly" aka "openly" enthusiasm about potential iPad market share years into the future is no where close to a change from their sandbagging approach. They will continue to sandbag actual numbers for the iPad.

They can be openly enthusiastic all they want. Its not the same thing as commiting to an actually upcoming quarterly result. In my opinion, this is NOT anything you can hold them to and NOT news. This is the pretty much the same thing they have been saying for a while now "we believe the post-PC era in upon us" or words to the that effect. Read the statement again folks.. don't read more into it than was is stated. This is NOT a change in position. It is a carefully crafted statement which commits to nothing. Heck he did even say an Apple Tablet! He was just referring to the tablet market in general.

ps. It is comical me to see someone showing off their vocabulary skills... when they can just as easily use another "layman's" word with the same meaning thus allow a greater number of readers to "get the true meaning". Trying to show off how smart you are, backfires on you if you fail to meet the primary goal of your job; communicating something clearly to your readers.

And you read WHERE that this was a NEWS site?

This is a blog. They write whatever they like, slant it however they like if they want to (or even inadvertently or due to personal bias), and as far as I can remember, do not advertise themselves as a NEWS site.

And yes, communicating clearly is paramount, but there are words that do in fact communicate more clearly and I for one am glad that these words pop up from time to time. If the reader is confused, then that is precisely why the dictionary was invented.

The more we use, as you call it, "layman's" language, the more we dilute our language and actually get far worse at communicating clearly, not better.

I, for one, am glad that hopefully some of the readers of this thread have an new word in their vocabulary that they can use, when applicable, to more clearly communicate their thoughts and ideas.

And, seriously, overtly? This is a word that summons some sort of snobbery? Why, I don't know. It's a plain, ordinary English word that should be used more often, along with thousands of others that have been left by the wayside.

• Reply 31 of 43
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Only using my Mac for serious work nowadays, while I'm reading and responding to articles like this on the iPad. Surprised myself to be honest as I never saw myself embracing anything except a desktop as my day to day machine.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

And you read WHERE that this was a NEWS site?

The more we use, as you call it, "layman's" language, the more we dilute our language and actually get far worse at communicating clearly, not better.

Lets respectfully agree to disagree on this one.

Your point of view and motivations for using uncommon words obviously differs from mine.

In a world of globalization, english is often not the first language for most of my customers or colleagues. Even when english is a first language not everyone is an english scholar. Thus, I have learned that to be successful, you need to talk to the lowest common denominator.

Frankly, I have no motivation to raise the bar and educate others by confusing them with unfamiliar words that come out of my mouth. We have enough challenges in communicating already. Have you ever tried to do business overseas?

I am more interested in teaching myself most any language BUT English. Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, German, French, Spanish.. pick one.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

yes, it's "overtly"; yes, it makes sense; and yes, it is news.

Apple is famous (notorious) for low-ball earnings estimates and very cautious statements about the future. Their approach is to always try to under-promise and over-deliver. So if apple execs are so giddy that they can't contain themselves, it is indeed news.

Now, obviously the apple execs could be wrong -- we may find that "overly" was the right word after all. But this is still news. (and as an apple investor, I see it as good news, because these guys are right way more often than they are wrong)

Precisely this.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    res08haores08hao Posts: 114member
    It would seem that the less like Windows the new Windows is, the better.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Your individual usage case is irrelevant to Apple.

Apple is interested in the broad market response to its products, not individuals (well, apart from Steve Jobs and Jonny Ive).

The fact of the matter is the iPad is a massive hit, the only large-scale success in a product category (tablets) that has existed for a good fifteen years.

But you are just attacking this chap without even reading his post. He says he prefers the iPhone, that is still an iOS device . . . And the article is about the future of iOS, not iPad alone.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    I also initially read "Apple execs 'overly optimistic'..." and thought, "Oh, that's not good." What a difference a letter makes!
  • Reply 37 of 43
    creativecreative Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Speculation time:

The Airport routers and Time Capsule devices have been pulled and are not available right now, signalling a refresh soon.

Apple is going to announce iOS 5 soon, and one of the rumored features is over the air upgrades. I wonder if over the air backups to a Time Capsule will come with it.

Think about it: a new Time Capsule could facilitate Internet access and device backup, negating the need for a PC.

Interesting.

I think your on to something here. Not just discrete elements of your data portfolio in the cloud (calendar, music, etc.) but your ENTIRE data set as an always available personal (or extended) ecosystem - Mac, phone & pad.

This is the story I would like to see on June 6th.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

They haven't been pulled. They are both available in stores (that have them) and online stating a shipping time within 24 hours on Apple's own store.

What was stated is that the supply is running dry which is signaling a refresh/discontinuation of the current product.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 40 of 43
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted