Adobe CEO downplays Flash, iOS feud, says Android tablets will dominate iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen said Thursday that the argument between Apple and his company over the lack of Adobe Flash on iOS is over, while also predicting that tablets running Google's Android will eventually overtake the iPad.

Narayen made the comments in an on-stage interview with journalist Walt Mossberg at the D9 conference hosted by All Things D. When asked by Mossberg whether "Adobe and Apple are done having the argument" over Flash, the executive said, "Absolutely."

Apple CEO Steve Jobs and Narayen engaged in a public war of words last year. Last year, Jobs published an open letter accusing Adobe Flash of not having "performed well on mobile devices." Narayen fired back with his own letter dismissing Jobs' comments as a "smokescreen" and blaming "the Apple operating system" for crashes that Jobs had attributed to Flash.

During Thursday's interview, Narayen asserted that the disagreement between the two companies hadn't ultimately been about the technology. "It's a business model issue, and it's about control of a platform," he said.

Narayen continued to stress Adobe's multi-platform strategy, noting that applications compiled in Adobe AIR can be easily converted for iOS and Apple's App Store. According to the executive, Apple has been approving such applications because it "still has control of the business model associated with it."

The Adobe chief touted the fact that his company will have 130 million phone devices that run Flash by the end of the year. However, Mossberg responded by interjecting that he had "yet to test a single one where Flash works really well,"

Narayen compared himself to "a kid in a candy shop" working with companies producing non-iPad tablets. ?I think the community is vibrant. I?m really excited,? he said.

"There is more power on these devices now than when we delivered Photoshop on a PC several years ago," Narayen said. "So we are clearly betting on these devices not just being consumption devices but also productivity devices for our community." Narayen promised that Adobe would bring all of its creative applications to tablets.

Just as with smartphones, Android, which supports Flash will eventually hit "an inflection point" with tablets and overtake the iPad, Narayen predicted. He also sees HP and RIM gaining traction with tablets in the enterprise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 135
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    When you take the rate of iPad growth, Android Tablet growth, and Adobe Flash decline I think that whenever this supposed day happens Flash won't be around to see it. Google will need to figure out how to get people to buy apps too. I'm not sure how meaningful fire sale growth is. I'm sure they will gain as much traction in the enterprise as Adobe Air...
  • Reply 2 of 135
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Oh boy. This should be good.
  • Reply 3 of 135
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    "There is more power on these devices now than when we delivered Photoshop on a PC several years ago," Narayen said.

Ah, the good old days when Photoshop and most other Adobe software (I'm looking at you Illustrator and Acrobat Reader) wasn't a bloated piece of junk. Of course, this is what happens when there is no competition.

As for Flash, I foresee its heyday coming to an end. I don't know if it will ever completely disappear, but I think its dominance is going to fade. After all, when I watch something as simple as Hulu and the Flash plugin pegs a 2.0 GHz dual core C2D processor at 165% for a few seconds numerous times in a single episode that is not going to cut it on mobile devices.
  • Reply 4 of 135
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Apple. Defeat.

Adobe. Fail.
  • Reply 5 of 135
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Eventually, the sales of android tablets being made by every other manufacturer on the planet might just sell more than one tablet made by one manufacturer. It might be many years from now, but it'll probably happen, just like with the phones.

When people compare iOS to Android, they're comparing 1 company VS everybody else, which includes hundreds of companies. That tells you how strong Apple is compared to everybody else.
  • Reply 6 of 135
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Flash is over, and it is a Dinosaur which will become extinct -- life support and companies afraid to embrace H.264/HTML 5+ are the only reason we are still saddled with it, IMHO.

Die Flash DIE!

Does anyone really use any apps from AIR? I cannot name a single one...
  • Reply 7 of 135
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Granted HTML5 is taking off a bit slow the fact is it's growing and it doesn't require using the software from Adobe or any other corporation.

Adobe's CEO seems to think that Android phones and tablets will somehow be the savior of Flash when in fact the real danger is HTML5 and other tech that doesn't require expensive software to leverage becoming the standard.

No one is excited about Flash ...it's kind of the incumbent technology that's waiting to get put out to pasture once the young plucky stalwart comes to take the throne.
  • Reply 8 of 135
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Flash is mostly for dumb people who like to be bombarded with intrusive ads.

I use click2flash and the majority of flash content on sites that I visit are nothing but ads. I love seeing those grey boxes when I visit a site, because that tells me that it saved me from seeing some grotesque looking, extremely colorful, possibly blinking and flashing, annoying ad for something that I have zero interest in looking at. It's offensive. It's like getting flashed by a pervert in the street.
  • Reply 9 of 135
    Yawn! Resign already would you.
  • Reply 10 of 135
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen is in denial and the board better wake up and replace him before the company ends up like Blockbuster.

But that won't happen because the company is too important. So instead there will be a hostile takeover and guess who will buy them out?
  • Reply 11 of 135
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Oh boy. This should be good.

he's probably a friend of Steve Ballmer...
  • Reply 12 of 135
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I wish all these delusional CEOs would just get together in a club somewhere and stop bothering progress. That way they can sit around, smoking cigars and stroking each other's egos while their companies fade into irrelevance. RIM? Dead. HP Tablets? DOA. MS Windows 8? Lackluster but will probably be forced on everyone. Android? Fragmented OS, market and unsustainable market for apps. They will keep market share by giving away the farm. Adobe Flash? Ancient history. So I suppose the "leadership" of these companies can stay firmly in yesteryear and talk about the glory days as a way to make them feel better about their own failures. In meantime, progressing companies like Facebook and Apple are going to bound into the future.
  • Reply 13 of 135
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

...It's like getting flashed by a pervert in the street.

Nice pun LOL.
  • Reply 14 of 135
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I think Adobe Flash will fail only when users decided to use alternative methods.
  • Reply 15 of 135
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Narayen fired back with his own letter dismissing Jobs' comments as a "smokescreen" and blaming "the Apple operating system" for crashes that Jobs had attributed to Flash.

And the crashing on Windows?

Quote:

The Adobe chief touted the fact that his company will have 130 million phone devices that run Flash by the end of the year. However, Mossberg responded by interjecting that he had "yet to test a single one where Flash works really well,"

and then there was silence. lol. Seriously, he looked like someone kicked his dog
  • Reply 16 of 135
    jeffhrsnjeffhrsn Posts: 60member
    Delusion fueled by business failure. Either that or a half-assed attempt to draw negative publicity toward Apple. Either way...lame.
  • Reply 17 of 135
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think Adobe Flash will fail only when users decided to use alternative methods.

Users are sheep and just want to watch the video or play the game. They don't really care about the format they just want the end product.

It's the developers that will decide on Flash. If they can find a tool that let's them do what they need to without flash they'll use it because the mobile market will be large enough that this makes sense.
  • Reply 18 of 135
    Flash is why Terrorists hate America.
  • Reply 19 of 135
    Apologies for the coming rant. I'm so tired of hearing people talk about this inevitable end of the iPad era, where the pathetic little apple tablet will become this irrelevant has been. If it happens then fine, so be it. But how many competitor's tablets will be exalted on high as the obvious iPad killer, yet only to disappear shortly after it's release? Remember when samsung was to bring the pain down on apple? Then it was motorola, then rim, now god if you're listening please let it be hp. I'm fine with competition, but i'd like just for once that competition to speak for itself. Let android overtake apple in tablet market share, it may well be inevitable, and the way I see it the better for us consumers. Keep apple constantly on their toes so they don't get too stagnant. But I guess what I'm tired of hearing is these CEOs always talking, never doing. Sorry rant is over.
  • Reply 20 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Flash is why Terrorists hate America.

I think you're on to something.