No new iPhone hardware expected at Apple's software-centric WWDC - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

And, if it is June, it means new iPhone.

The stock price of Apple will take a hit if Apple does not deliver.

CGC

I was thinking the same thing. Will we lose that nice pre-WWDC stock bump we usually get the week or so prior to the conference?(of course much of those gains are typically lost during the week of conference itself.)
  • Reply 62 of 75
    Quote:

The new iOS or OSX 10.7 Lion might be appealing to Geeks or may even make some orgasm from delight knowing about how they work, they will not resonate to the average consumer, like myself. The average consumer wants something new.... and something physical that would make those "software" and Apps mean something to them.

The amazing success of the iPod touch, the iPhone, and (especially) the iPad, plus the halo effect from them, speaks to the contrary. I think the move to the Apple ecosystem is still a novelty for many consumers as it is ("Computers don't have to be a headache?!"). Beyond that, I think, more than anything else, consumers want their kit to work reliably while fitting their needs.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    If apple is serious about releasing a white iPhone, then this report makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    Steve Jobs, "Well that wraps it up for Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5, but, there one more thing."
  • Reply 65 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OmicronTurtle View Post

Apart from the original iPhone, all iPhone's have been announced at WWDC and released within a few days or a few weeks.

I expect iPhone 5 to be announced at WWDC as do most logical thinking people who have followed Apple in the last 10 years

Here's to hoping ur right. I still have iPhone 3G and really want to upgrade. iPhone 4 is good, but I reasoned that Apple was adding a lot of new stuff which might run into problems. iPhone 4 is like the 1st gen series 2 device, iPhone 5 is like 2nd gen series 2, a lot of new stuff which has had the kinks worked out...
  • Reply 66 of 75
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Maybe it's true that there'll be no iPhone hardware at WWDC. Jim Dalrymple is a credible source, so let's accept that. On the other hand, none of the other recent rumours are credible so it's still possible that the following is true:

1. There will still be an iOS 5 preview in April, as usual.

2. We won't see the iPhone 5 at WWDC. But we'll still see it in this fiscal year. (It could even be in May or July.)

Just because a bunch of rumours all come along at once, and you can make a story out of them, that doesn't make them true.

The words on Apple's invitation to WWDC makes it pretty clear that there's no iOS 5 preview in April. If there was, Apple would've announced that first, and then announced WWDC dates at the preview or after (as has been the pattern of previous years).

September is still in this fiscal year (Apple's year ends Sept 24). Apple has been announcing new iPods on the Wed following Labor Day, so iPhone would now become the main fall product leading into Christmas (with iPad as the spring product).

This move also says that Apple is thoroughly confident that iPad 2 revenue will be huge and will carry Apple through the summer months.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I hope this is not the case. While they may not focus on hardware or even announce the iPhone5 at WWDC, it doesn't mean that it will be delayed. Likewise, there is no rule that says the new handset cannot ship with iOS 4 and then be upgraded to iOS5 when it is ready in the fall. The iPad 1 came out in April with an earlier version of iOS and was announced that it would be updated in the Fall. So I think they can do the same with iphone. I don't think Apple wants to wait when they know they have customers ready to upgrade.

Agreed! I hope they still plan to release an updated iPhone. That's when I've been planning to buy a few for my family & I.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    No hardware announcement and it still sold out in half a day. Impressive.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don't know why Apple doesn't hold this in a bigger venue. They know by now that it's going to sell out. Better to have some empty seats then cut many people out.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

The amazing success of the iPod touch, the iPhone, and (especially) the iPad, plus the halo effect from them, speaks to the contrary. I think the move to the Apple ecosystem is still a novelty for many consumers as it is ("Computers don't have to be a headache?!"). Beyond that, I think, more than anything else, consumers want their kit to work reliably while fitting their needs.

The average consumer understands the iPod, the iPod touch, the iPhone, and the iPad2, and even the Apps, the practical aspects of them. What they can do for them. But ask the average consumer whether it is iOS or OSX Snow Leopard or Lion that is inside their device, and most likely you will get a stare -- or what do I care.

The OS matter only in the sense that it is what makes the gadgets work. This will appeal to the geeks and the tech savvy. But, to the average consumer, it is the new gadget that works with the features that will get their attention.

Do you get the nuanced difference?

CGC
  • Reply 71 of 75
    Quote:

The average consumer understands the iPod, the iPod touch, the iPhone, and the iPad2, and even the Apps, the practical aspects of them. What they can do for them. But ask the average consumer whether it is iOS or OSX Snow Leopard or Lion that is inside their device, and most likely you will get a stare -- or what do I care.

The OS matter only in the sense that it is what makes the gadgets work. This will appeal to the geeks and the tech savvy. But, to the average consumer, it is the new gadget that works with the features that will get their attention.

Do you get the nuanced difference?

CGC

I think we're arguing the same point regarding user expectation: consumers are attracted to cool new gear and they just want it all to work while it's the geeks who pay attention to the tech specs of all that crap.

The point I was trying to make, that I guess I'm not articulating well, is that the user experiences (i.e., user interaction with) of Mac OS X and iOS are currently different (in other words, PC vs post-PC). I suspect that the road map for iOS and Mac OS X that Apple will unveil at WWDC will show developers (and the world) how Apple plans to take all the underlying technical similarities that they're both built on and create a less differentiated user experience between the two (hence, a "unified" OS).

Do you understand what I'm trying to say now?
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Here's to hoping ur right. I still have iPhone 3G and really want to upgrade. iPhone 4 is good, but I reasoned that Apple was adding a lot of new stuff which might run into problems. iPhone 4 is like the 1st gen series 2 device, iPhone 5 is like 2nd gen series 2, a lot of new stuff which has had the kinks worked out...

That's a good point.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    mikemikebmikemikeb Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Both this and the next article may be saying that Apple is having problems with the new phone design. It wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing happened. It could also be in error, and the new phone is shaping up just fine, in time for a late June or early July release. It's still March, and if many of the materials are similar, from the same suppliers, it may be that analysts aren't seeing the true picture.

It's possible that Apple decided to change a major aspect of the phone after much of it was designed, and so it might be late. It could also be that Japan's problems are pushing some part deliveries back by a month or two. This is all speculation right now, so it means little.

What it might not mean is that Apple is changing the way they're doing things.

While the Japan quake might have made a slight difference in the release schedule, I don't think it affected things much. Steve probably wants to give the iPhone 4 on Verizon more than six months to sell. Maybe he wants to move onto a release cycle that gets him first digs at some new LTE chip that's coming out this summer, or even next summer. Perhaps he's taking the extra time to smooth out potential wrinkles with a unified NFC system rollout, which includes collaboration with numerous smartphone makers and NFC storefront transceiver manufacturers. We don't know.

And I suspect that Steve probably doesn't care too much about a new shape to the iPhone. It can have the same basic industrial design as the iPhone 4, only with an aluminum back, and it'll sell as much as it would with a more curved shape. Besides, the iPhone 3G-to-3GS evolution was a successful one. There's no need to completely reinvent the phone on this run, either. With the exception of durability issues, due to the glass back, and the lack of a dedicated camera shutter button, the iPhone 4 is almost a perfect piece of hardware, as it is.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

While the Japan quake might have made a slight difference in the release schedule, I don't think it affected things much. Steve probably wants to give the iPhone 4 on Verizon more than six months to sell. Maybe he wants to move onto a release cycle that gets him first digs at some new LTE chip that's coming out this summer, or even next summer. Perhaps he's taking the extra time to smooth out potential wrinkles with a unified NFC system rollout, which includes collaboration with numerous smartphone makers and NFC storefront transceiver manufacturers. We don't know.

And I suspect that Steve probably doesn't care too much about a new shape to the iPhone. It can have the same basic industrial design as the iPhone 4, only with an aluminum back, and it'll sell as much as it would with a more curved shape. Besides, the iPhone 3G-to-3GS evolution was a successful one. There's no need to completely reinvent the phone on this run, either. With the exception of durability issues, due to the glass back, and the lack of a dedicated camera shutter button, the iPhone 4 is almost a perfect piece of hardware, as it is.

Of course, no one, no matter how well connected, outside of some people in Apple, and Foxconn, actually know this schedule, and that includes many of Apple's suppliers. They also don't know why, if it is true that there will be a delay, unless it's due to a company or companies with problems making parts. While I have respect for Jim Dalrymple (spelling!), and he's got a pretty good record in predictions because of the people he knows, he's not always right, nor are his reasons.

It's still pretty early. I think it would be dangerous for Apple to get off a once a year upgrade schedule for the hardware and OS. Others are moving too fast. The usual criticism is that Apple needs to update more quickly. I think this may be true. Apple's concept with products is to come out with one extremely dynamite design for their entire line, and stick with it for an entire year, while others come out with new versions twice a year if need be, or at least have several versions out at once.

Apple does have two, when including last year's model at a cheap price. But it's not the same thing. I can only conclude that if Apple decides to come out with this on a longer schedule, as some are suggesting, it will only hurt sales. The industry is still too young, and there are too many things coming out in too short a time. At some point in time, maybe ten years from now, it will be different, but not yet.

So I wonder if this is a change in Apple's release policy, or some problems cropping up instead.
  • Reply 75 of 75
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

IOS and Mac OS are a lot closer than you seem to gather or are aware of. IOS derived from Mac OS and the cross breeding has been going on ever since. The neat thing about iPhone is that it is basically UNIX in your pocket and probably that is why there is such a strong interest from hackers.

Granted this version of UNIX doesn't have the GUI of Mac OS, but it doesn't have gnome or KDE either. Instead it has a GUI designed specifically for hand held devices. Underneath that GUI though iOS are extremely similar.

It is pretty hard to converge when you are growing out of the same trunk. Seriously I don't know why this crap persists iOS is the child of Mac OS and ever since it's release there has been a back and forth flow of new technology. This is not something that is new.

Well under the trunk is what you dont see and that does not matter to most people. It only matters to apple. Seriously i dont understand why they should converge (mac os X /ios) other than you can do same things essentially which you cant do now...

The biggest convergence issue though is the user filesystem which is a real issue if you thing about it. If mac os gets more like IOS then its saionara for me, you can count me out. BUT if ipad gets more os x userfilesystem features then the convergence is less a problem. You could just change the gui on a computer depending on the display or input devices you have with you. Im just not seeing user filesystems coming anytime soon which is a real bummer...

I installed multigestures via xcode 4.0 and my ipad is much more usable. I dont know why you would ever want to use the same gui on a computer/slate that you use on a small phone. The Ipad is quite good but the GUI needs more options.... saving files localy is a BIG downside so you have to jailbreak anyways. Then you can use sd-cards or usb memory and . the only problem with this is that you cant use this document saving area to launch official apps that can read the files. You can only use Jailbroken apps to use your files. Theres no real options for taking files with you when you might not be connected at all.

And what can I say about the app-desktop on the ipad. PLEASE change that to something usefull. Maybe add widgets to one side of the display or even more customization.

Its a nice device but its POTENTIAL is badly hindered. Its the best device in its class NOW, but if these things dont change then it might not be like that for long. Hope icloud is the answer to our prayers.