MAC Defender variant quickly thwarts Apple's Mac OS X security update

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 123
    ericvet8bericvet8b Posts: 70member
    Exactly Brometheus... It has just happened to my very wise father, and with 40year experience with computer, just recently retired and who purchased a fancy iMac last year, but....:

It seems to have got infected not my MacDefender, but by a fake MacKeeper!! He was reading a newspaper online and suddenly this window popped-up about Mackeeper, that it had issues, etc... and the only way to get rid of the window was to click OK, so he did, unfortunately and downloaded it and installed it... He looked online before installing it about it and there seem to be a lot of good feedback from people, although I had told him weeks ago that he didn't need it. Nothing seems to have broken or anything, but I have panicked about it, as I have read that there is a dangerous Fake MacKeeper too, phishing virus, etc... and we have tried lots of different options that I have found on the web and NOTHING!! CAN'T GET RID OFF THE BLOODY THING!! can't drag the application icon to the Trash, can't terminate (force Quit)its processes on Activity Monitor and when you do, when there were only 4 subprocesses, now there are 5, etc...

So, I have asked him to download the free antivirus Clamxav for now and run it and see what it says...

I keep reading that the real MAcKeeper is a pain to remove too anyway, so I still don't have proof that it is a fake virus version or the real one, a version trial or something.... Any input?

Any thoughts everybody??? Please, I am desperate (and my dad even more.... At moment, the iMac is off, in case it starts damaging it... before we can get more help)
  • Reply 122 of 123
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

Exactly Brometheus... It has just happened to my very wise father, and with 40year experience with computer, just recently retired and who purchased a fancy iMac last year, but....:

It seems to have got infected not my MacDefender, but by a fake MacKeeper!! He was reading a newspaper online and suddenly this window popped-up about Mackeeper, that it had issues, etc... and the only way to get rid of the window was to click OK, so he did, unfortunately and downloaded it and installed it... He looked online before installing it about it and there seem to be a lot of good feedback from people, although I had told him weeks ago that he didn't need it. Nothing seems to have broken or anything, but I have panicked about it, as I have read that there is a dangerous Fake MacKeeper too, phishing virus, etc... and we have tried lots of different options that I have found on the web and NOTHING!! CAN'T GET RID OFF THE BLOODY THING!! can't drag the application icon to the Trash, can't terminate (force Quit)its processes on Activity Monitor and when you do, when there were only 4 subprocesses, now there are 5, etc...

So, I have asked him to download the free antivirus Clamxav for now and run it and see what it says...

I keep reading that the real MAcKeeper is a pain to remove too anyway, so I still don't have proof that it is a fake virus version or the real one, a version trial or something.... Any input?

Any thoughts everybody??? Please, I am desperate (and my dad even more.... At moment, the iMac is off, in case it starts damaging it... before we can get more help)

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents/MacOS

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents/MacOS/MacProtector

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents/Info.plist

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents/PkgInfo

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents/Resources

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents/Resources/AboutMBMI.png

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents/Resources/affid.txt

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents/Resources/About-Back.png

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents/Resources/ControlCenterD.nib

/Applications/MacProtector.app/Contents/Resources/AboutD.nib

They all look to be in equivalent areas. Manual removal would simply consist of deleting above files. If for some reason you happen to fail, the chances that your mac will be damaged in the process of the malware repairing will be VERY high.

The only I can tell you otherwise as a friendly tip, is that killing processes almost never works.
  • Reply 123 of 123
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

The problem with your "quick Google search" is that you have failed (not for the first time) to understand or properly interpret the results. Web site stats is NOT the same as installed base.

I wonder what stats MacWorld, CultofMac, PCWorld and a couple of others relied on to make the same connection? Looks like I'm in pretty good company if we all did the same thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

You're the one making the (frequent) claims "backed up" by unrelated links and vague figures. I am not the only person who has noticed this.

Frequent unrelated links? Then it should be quick and easy for you to show a few examples.