Adobe CEO downplays Flash, iOS feud, says Android tablets will dominate iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 135
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Sorry, for all the Acrobat and Flash security holes.

Yes.

How many emergency updates have there been due to yet another security issue in Flash? Whatever it actually is it sure seems like it's been weekly for the past decade. Fortunately, since my only dealing with Flash are my Flash blockers, I can ignore them. And Flash has been getting less relevant instead of more, so people like Narayen just keep looking very foolish.

Flash may be ubiquitous, but it's a nightmare of crap, and I don't mean the crap of Flash videos or popups, it's a nightmare program to have on your computer. Good point made that by the time Apple's 20 rivals have collectively surpassed it, Flash will be even less relevant.
  • Reply 62 of 135
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Narayen is truly awful. He claims that the feud is over by lying about the nature of Apple's complaint about Flash, in effect calling Jobs a liar. That is not ending a feud, it is making sure it blazes more strongly.

Exactly, it's all right in front of everyone but nobody seems to take note that he's actually fuelling the whole debate again by pretending there are no valid technical reasons to not want Flash on mobile, instead of 'putting it to rest'.

Keeping Flash off of iOS is not a decision based on business strategy, even though it nicely fits into where Apple wants to go with iOS. That's only an added bonus though, the most important reason is still simply because Flash on mobile downright sucks on every level and provides a terrible user experience once you go outside the carefully staged 'mobile Flash app' sites Adobe likes to demo. The only use case for Flash that somewhat works but still is one big hit-and-miss between devices and OS versions is web video, but the funny thing about web video is that you don't need no Flash player for that at all, at least not from a technical perspective.
  • Reply 63 of 135
    blueyetiblueyeti Posts: 1member
    [QUOTE='Apple ][;1874573']Terrorists probably love flash. They use PC laptops, running Windows most likely.

Have you ever heard of a terrorist being captured with a Mac? When Bin Laden was killed like the degenerate scum that he was, do you think that they confiscated a Mac laptop? When Shiek Mohammed (soon to be dead, hopefully) was captured and had his laptop confiscated, do you think it was a Macbook? I don't.

QUOTE]

Don't let Homeland Security find out...they might start profiling Windows users!
  • Reply 64 of 135
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Exactly, it's all right in front of everyone but nobody seems to take note that he's actually fuelling the whole debate again by pretending there are no valid technical reasons to not want Flash on mobile, instead of 'putting it to rest'.

I think the worst part of the interview was when Mossberg saying he have yet to see flash working well on mobile platform, Narayen never answer to Mossberg claim.
  • Reply 65 of 135
    Android Platform has its flaws. You got how many devices running Android. Your flash app could run like garbage depending on that Android device you have. Apple has one and that is the iPhone with iOS.

Flash is dead nobody wants to use it unless they wasted their time learing ActionScript which is a crappy and dirty language. Look at Doom 3d ported to html5

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...om-on-the-web/

Why would u need flash. Oh I know why is because of video and the browsers can't decide what video standard to use. So it drives users nutz when compressing to different video formats for different browsers.
  • Reply 66 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    [QUOTE=BlueYeti;1874757]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Terrorists probably love flash. They use PC laptops, running Windows most likely.

Have you ever heard of a terrorist being captured with a Mac? When Bin Laden was killed like the degenerate scum that he was, do you think that they confiscated a Mac laptop? When Shiek Mohammed (soon to be dead, hopefully) was captured and had his laptop confiscated, do you think it was a Macbook? I don't.

QUOTE]

Don't let Homeland Security find out...they might start profiling Windows users!

Looks like they have a fixation on looking like Apple tho.

http://ojihad.wordpress.com/2011/05/...-apple-fetish/
  • Reply 67 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linke.account View Post

Android tablets will dominate the market??? Where were till now?? That game has already ended. Apple is dominating the tablet market and that's finished. iPad became another iPod in terms of dominance and your crappy company is dying and begging to have flash on iOS devices. Even on my Mac I'm not using flash anymore (with extensions like Click2Flash) let alone on mobile devices. Even MS and Google are moving towards HTML5

i remember a time when office supply stores (there wasn't a 'computer' store) sold tons of apple games and a few dos games. apple games as far as i could see. i loved it. a few years later it was reversed. you could find a couple of decent games for mac and everything else was Windows.

the lay of the land can turn on a dime in technology.
  • Reply 68 of 135
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Android tablets will be a worthy and necessary competitor. But with no contracts to block people from buying the tablet they really want (iPad), when they want (now), the road to dominance for Android will be problematic.
  • Reply 69 of 135
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i remember a time when office supply stores (there wasn't a 'computer' store) sold tons of apple games and a few dos games. apple games as far as i could see. i loved it. a few years later it was reversed. you could find a couple of decent games for mac and everything else was Windows.

the lay of the land can turn on a dime in technology.

I agree with your conclusion, but though I am 65 and have been using only Macs since 1986 I never remember seeing more Apple games than Windows/DOS. Were you around during Apple IIe days? Maybe it was that way then?
  • Reply 70 of 135
    Adobe's CED should have simply told Mossberg: "I can haz future relevance?"

Of course he's going to complain about Apple's business model because it blocks Flash from becoming de facto standard in the post-PC era. Of course he's going to pin his hopes on Android, just as Microsoft has pinned their hopes around Windows being relevant in the post-PC era.

As for Apple's business model, it worked well for the iPod over "compatibility platforms" like Microsoft's PlaysForSure, which Microsoft eventually abandoned in favor of copying Apple's model. So much for "hardware vibrancy" arguments. And this same model is used by Microsoft in its Xbox business (it copied what Sega and Nintendo have done for years before): Microsoft has a tightly curated software platform for Xbox and Flash isn't welcome.
  • Reply 71 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm seeing Silverlight have a better longevity than Flash at this point. It's used with success on WP7 and for Netflix streaming on Windows and Mac OS.

Ew... I won't even install that.
  • Reply 72 of 135
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    The way I see it is that Adobe has lost its way. After buying much of Macromedia's assets they have maneuvered from a creative company to a company who provides coding platforms, and having Shantanu as their CEO further asserted that position.

Adobe has stopped developing good dynamic software that solves problem for the creative market, and now they are falling into a sea of bloatware and plugins. There is so much left to be done in the creative market and there will always be, it's an endless market. Designers still need better ways of converting PSD artwork into code, a better software than Dreamweaver, and a slew of new creative web tools. Illustrator and Freehand eliminated the need to code in postscript, how about a similar effort for HTML 5 for example (I know I know but my point is there are still challenges in the market and with the right direction they can flourish again)

There are so many languages out there it's mind-numbing, and Air/Flex are not helping. Adobe's own site is embarrassing, they tried to combine HTML with Flash, it played ok with some browsers and not on most, so now they switched back to HTML with Flash headers, and the store is basically a pop-up Flash window.

Adobe also dumped some great Freehand features instead of incorporating them into Illustrator, not bloat features but usability features. Also the shortcuts vary from one software to another, Command-click in say InDesign selects the object in the next layer, in Illustrator it's a different key combination, in Photoshop? no short cut key but you can right click and see the layers! urrr.. .that's why I have a layers pan always open on the side.
  • Reply 73 of 135
    sddavesddave Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

I'm willing to bet that with time, the history of the MP3 will repeat itself with most other devices that apple makes. 10 years ago (I don't know the exact date?shoot me) Apple entered the MP3 player market. They now own 70-75% of that market, leaving the others to fight over the crumbs, with profits so slim that the smarter companies have surrendered.

I think the iPod-iPad parallel is even closer than you indicate.

True, the iPod was not the first MP3 player around (check out the video of Steve Jobs opening the first Apple retail store, he talks about selling MP3 players from various manufacturers--this was before the iPod came out!).

But the iPod gave a more enjoyable, easier user experience, and sales took off.

Similarly, the iPad is not the first table computer around.

But the iPad gives a more enjoyable, easier user experience. And sales, well, you know.

Could say the same thing about iPhone.

Hmm...
  • Reply 74 of 135
    horn001horn001 Posts: 1member
    Nayaren, like his counter parts are missing the boat again. The iPad like every other tablet is nothing but hardware but what is important is the 80/20 rule meaning 80% are the consumer market sandbox that Nayaren is speaking about. Apple is already passed that and developing important areas such as education. I truly beleive that if Apple has or gets eduction from k12 to higher ed you will get State and Local next, than Federal.

Apple Mac sales has not seen this kind jump in years which is proof that its about what you get with the hardware that matters. The only way to catch Apple is leap frog into the 20% developing market and get there before Apple has had a chance to develop.

Within 5 years we will see an Apple solution based product at every major School District, University and deep in to medical. While others keep trying to catch up in the consumer market Apple will and is moving into areas that will only strengthen it's position based on it's solutions in any specific market to goes after.

Introducing andriod based hardware with a structured development community that creates new and exciting opportunities is what will make adriod king. But the unaswered question is the king of what? and for who!
  • Reply 75 of 135
    Big baloated and useless. No more vision just corporate business. If they want flash to succede then open source it if its such a great technology.

I just wish Apple would come up with their own advanced HTML 5 editor and framework that will speed up their mobile development.
  • Reply 76 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree with your conclusion, but though I am 65 and have been using only Macs since 1986 I never remember seeing more Apple games than Windows/DOS. Were you around during Apple IIe days? Maybe it was that way then?

apple II yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apple_II_games
  • Reply 77 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stargatesg1 View Post

Big baloated and useless. No more vision just corporate business. If they want flash to succede then open source it if its such a great technology.

I just wish Apple would come up with their own advanced HTML 5 editor and framework that will speed up their mobile development.

Actually, two Apple employes left the company to create a new little startup who propose an HTML 5 animation tool named Hype.
  • Reply 78 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Actually, two Apple employes left the company to create a new little startup who propose an HTML 5 animation tool named Hype.

Again we need a big company like Apple to come up with the ultimate HTML5 Animiation development tool that will blow dreamweaver and flash out of the water.
  • Reply 79 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stargatesg1 View Post

Again we need a big company like Apple to come up with the ultimate HTML5 Animiation development tool that will blow dreamweaver and flash out of the water.

I agree with you, but I don't think it should be Apple role for making web development tool, It would polarize many anti-apple guys against HTML5.

This should be Adobe role. I've never understand Adobe position for keeping Flash for so long on artificial respirator and keep pushing it. Adobe was born to make creative tools, they should embrace HTML5 and make creative software for it.
  • Reply 80 of 135
    Does anyone else think that Shantanu Narayen looks and acts like a Ferengi? Likely as trustworthy as one too.

So much of what comes out of his mouth is pure $&!#. He told Mossberg that Flash is running just fine on Android after it is constantly proven that it is not. It works fine on the Playbook, but only for video. But, these other tablets need something to differentiate themselves from the iPad and all they have is Flash for that, even if it works like crap.