Evidence suggests Apple will make Mac OS X Lion Server a paid App Store add-on

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Server could be a paid add-on that users would download from the Mac App Store, according to evidence allegedly discovered in the Lion beta.

Searching "install server" in the help menu in a developer preview of Mac OS X Lion, a reader of French site HardMac reportedly discovered a note that claims Mac OS X Server in 10.7 Lion will be a paid add-on. The alleged note says that users can make their Mac a server by "installing the Server app."

An accompanying screenshot shows that the Server application will be available on the Mac App Store, and once it is purchased it will be available in the Applications folder. Users will then open the Server application to set up the software.

From there, users enter the name and password of an administrator account on the Mac in order to begin installing and setting up Lion Server software. The Server application allegedly downloads the Server Essentials software package and installs it, a process that will turn the Mac into a server.

The current version of Mac OS X Server for 10.6 Snow Leopard has a retail price of $499, granting users an unlimited client license. The help file does not offer any indication as to how much the Mac OS X Server application would cost on the Mac App Store.

With its developer previews of Mac OS X Lion, Apple has issued separate builds for the Server version of the Mac operating system. Preview 3 was released to developers in mid-May.

For more on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Server, see AppleInsider's previous coverage:

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Server: Apple replaces Samba for Windows networking services

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Server: remote lock, disk wipe and administration

VMware vSphere 5 to add cloud virtualization support for Mac OS X Server

Why Apple axed Xserve, and how it can reenter the server market

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    This is odd, as it directly contradicts Apple's Lion preview page. From there:

"Lion Server is now part of Mac OS X Lion. It’s easy to set up your Mac as a server and take advantage of the many services Lion Server has to offer."

"Lion Server guides you through configuring your Mac as a server. And it provides local and remote administration — for users and groups, push notifications, file sharing, calendaring, mail, contacts, chat, Time Machine, VPN, web, and wiki services — all in one place."

That doesn't sound at all like a separate app to me. It sounds much more like an option in your System Preferences pane.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

"Lion Server is now part of Mac OS X Lion. It’s easy to set up your Mac as a server and take advantage of the many services Lion Server has to offer."

"Lion Server guides you through configuring your Mac as a server. And it provides local and remote administration — for users and groups, push notifications, file sharing, calendaring, mail, contacts, chat, Time Machine, VPN, web, and wiki services — all in one place."

That doesn't sound at all like a separate app to me. It sounds much more like an option in your System Preferences pane.

Perhaps once the app is installed everything works as you say. Maybe the app also acts as a server dashboard separate from System Prefs.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    $499 is still a steal.

Windows 2008 R2 Standard runs $799 plus $35 per computer/user connecter to the server.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think it was Preview 2 of Lion that changed the way the server components were distributed. There is a separate redeem code for the server add-on in the Mac App Store. It's a small app at about 35MB When you first run I believe it will then download and load all the other server components.

If this might be a good thing. Even if it's free (though I'm thinking it will require a small fee) having it be purposeful action to use on your Mac may keep more novice users from thinking they need this to do daily tasks like organizing mail and user accounts.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it was Preview 2 of Lion that changed the way the server components were distributed. There is a separate redeem code for the server add-on in the Mac App Store. It's a small app at about 35MB When you first run I believe it will then download and load all the other server components.

If this might be a good thing. Even if it's free (though I'm thinking it will require a small fee) having be purposeful action to use on your Mac may keep more novice users from thinking they need this to do daily tasks like organizing mail and user accounts.

Agreed. It's like the Developer Tools that have been distributed with OS X discs as optional installs. Don't waste disk space or confuse users with stuff they will likely never need, but make their readily available.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I'm glad this is an add-on, rather than a separate install from the same disk, as I want to have a play with the server parts and see if they can do anything interesting for me. For the same reason, I wouldn't pay a lot of money for it.

I think there's a lot of people setting up interest groups and small businesses that will find value in the server components.

So Apple should encourage people to explore with cheap licensing for small groups.

I assume I have to get a fixed IP address from my ISP if I really want to go to town and play with email serving etc.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    I have a SL server with sensitive data that does not connect to the Internet (it runs internally on a private 10.0.0.x network). I installed it from DVD and download updates on a different machine and transfer them over on a portable drive. I'm hoping that I can continue to keep it isolated if I upgrade to Lion, but relying on the App Store will throw that out the window.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I have a SL server with sensitive data that does not connect to the Internet (it runs internally on a private 10.0.0.x network). I installed it from DVD and download updates on a different machine and transfer them over on a portable drive. I'm hoping that I can continue to keep it isolated if I upgrade to Lion, but relying on the App Store will throw that out the window.

You should be fine. Lion and Lion server on the Mac App Store aren't encapsulated in DRM like App Store apps so you can DL from a connected machine and then transfer to your server. There may some hoops to jump through with the secondary install package but I bet by the time Lion goes live there will be plenty of sites detailing how to DL the package directly. Also, Apple using the Mac App Store as the primary distribution for Lion and Lion Server doesn't mean they won't offer a DVD version, too.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

Apple using the Mac App Store as the primary distribution for Lion and Lion Server doesn't mean they won't offer a DVD version, too.

I'm sure that Lion (client) will be available on DVD; some people are still stuck with dial-up! But Lion Server might be a different case where Apple assumes anyone running their server software will also have some form of broadband. We'll have to see when it is finally released.

Regardless, I hope there isn't some sort of requirement for the actual machine to be net-connected to get running. (Even with Snow Leopard Server one can enter the software key offline with no phoning home.) The growing push for the App Store makes me a little wary in this regard.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Are any App Store apps currently limited to install on a single machine?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    Quote:

"Lion Server is now part of Mac OS X Lion. It?s easy to set up your Mac as a server and take advantage of the many services Lion Server has to offer."

"Lion Server guides you through configuring your Mac as a server. And it provides local and remote administration ? for users and groups, push notifications, file sharing, calendaring, mail, contacts, chat, Time Machine, VPN, web, and wiki services ? all in one place."

I thought the same thing. I think I'll believe Apple's website over a rumor based on a help page out of a developer build.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I thought the same thing. I think I'll believe Apple's website over a rumor based on a help page out of a developer build.

They both can be true. All the tools for getting your ios Lion to be a server are a part of Lion, although to get it running you need to visit the app store. This makes a lot of sense actually.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:

It's not a rumor, it's how it's currently being delivered. Whether that alters for the final release is another story but it's not uncommon for featutes to change or disappear altogether between Apple's initial OS specs and their final release.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    You could still "buy" a free app from the App Store. Or it could be a mere $4.99, like the Developer tools.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:

"Lion Server is now part of Mac OS X Lion. It?s easy to set up your Mac as a server and take advantage of the many services Lion Server has to offer."

"Lion Server guides you through configuring your Mac as a server. And it provides local and remote administration ? for users and groups, push notifications, file sharing, calendaring, mail, contacts, chat, Time Machine, VPN, web, and wiki services ? all in one place."

Thank you for saving me the trouble of looking it up. I agree.

We have no idea what this "Server app" might be. Doesn't mean it's part of, or necessary for, Mac OS X Server. For all we know, it's merely an install wizard to ease/facilitate server installation/configuration, as the "Aide > Server Help" text in the screenshot suggests.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

$499 is still a steal.

Not if you're a non-profit on a limited budget.

Quote:

Lion will be available on DVD. Mark my words!

Quote:

I'm sure that Lion (client) will be available on DVD; some people are still stuck with dial-up! But Lion Server might be a different case where Apple assumes anyone running their server software will also have some form of broadband. We'll have to see when it is finally released.

Regardless, I hope there isn't some sort of requirement for the actual machine to be net-connected to get running. (Even with Snow Leopard Server one can enter the software key offline with no phoning home.) The growing push for the App Store makes me a little wary in this regard.

Interesting thought. But i doubt it. The assumption that all servers are InterNet facing isn't a valid one. Lot's of servers out there which are LAN-only, for security reasons. Apple is aware of this too.

Quote:

Ditto.

Quote:

It's not a rumor, it's how it's currently being delivered.

Actually, yes this is a rumor. While the existence of the software may be said to be factual, it's purpose is unknown and is pure speculation at this point.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

$499 is still a steal.

Windows 2008 R2 Standard runs $799 plus $35 per computer/user connecter to the server.

Linux is free. $499 is a ripoff as is $799.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

Linux is free. $499 is a ripoff as is $799.

Linux is free if you have lots of free time.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

They both can be true. All the tools for getting your ios Lion to be a server are a part of Lion, although to get it running you need to visit the app store. This makes a lot of sense actually.

Is that an announcement... a faux pas?
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Thank you for saving me the trouble of looking it up. I agree.

We have no idea what this "Server app" might be. Doesn't mean it's part of, or necessary for, Mac OS X Server. For all we know, it's merely an install wizard to ease/facilitate server installation/configuration, as the "Aide > Server Help" text in the screenshot suggests.

[…]

Actually, yes this is a rumor. While the existence of the software may be said to be factual, it's purpose is unknown and is pure speculation at this point.

If you read the damn thread you can see that we know exactly what Server.app does and what its purpose. If you read the screenshot it tells you exactly what it does.

The only thing to be speculated is if it will be part of the standard, consumer Lion purchase or separate, and if it will be free or paid, but if we are exclude everything that exists and has been dished for months on tech blogs then Lion being distributed to devs via the Mac App Store is also just a rumour. Here is one such write up from February: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...50097737406190
  • Reply 20 of 42
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    How is all of this going to work in an enterprise environment? App stores don't really go with the way software is distributed in the enterprise world.