Launch of Apple's iCloud predicted to cause 'collateral damage' on RIM

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

I have mobile me right now and Im just wondering if they are replacing mobile me what it means for the email, and web hosting capabilities the service currently has.

\

it would be totally awesome if they changed the emails back to @mac.com

".mac" never stopped working. You didnt have to change to "me.com"
  • Reply 22 of 54
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I sure hope they can make iCloud into more of a SalesForce alternative than just online music storage... If that is all it is, what benefit does it really offer developers?
  • Reply 23 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

".mac" never stopped working. You didnt have to change to "me.com"

Unless he came in after the change had happened...
  • Reply 24 of 54
    jvolinojvolino Posts: 25member
    How would iCloud do any more than MobileMe does today to remove a traffic burden in terms of maintaining email accounts and sync'ing contacts/calendars? If anything, the carriers are going to see traffic increase dramatically as people stream more stuff over it instead of playing media directly from their device! The "analysis" should have never passed through AppleInsider's 30 sec. editorial process.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    RIM should just die. They have been doing almost no innovations in the mobile industry from past few years.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

I have mobile me right now and Im just wondering if they are replacing mobile me what it means for the email, and web hosting capabilities the service currently has.

\

it would be totally awesome if they changed the emails back to @mac.com

Just as long as it isn't cloud.com.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Well, let's hope Apple doesn't start supporting email addresses for @mac.com, @me.com, @icloud.com. That's just too confusing.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzkaur View Post

RIM should just die. They have been doing almost no innovations in the mobile industry from past few years.

So anyone who doesn't innovate should die? That would have included Apple just a bit over 10 years ago. Imagine if it wasn't given a chance to turn around? RIM is in way better shape than Apple before Jobs' return.

Even if one's an Apple fanboy, there's no benefit to seeing one of its competitors fade completely. Competition is good for ALL of us. Any intelligent person would want to see RIM right its ship, become competitive again and push Apple and Google to do better. There is no better landscape than one which is highly competitive.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

So anyone who doesn't innovate should die? That would have included Apple just a bit over 10 years ago. Imagine if it wasn't given a chance to turn around? RIM is in way better shape than Apple before Jobs' return.

Even if one's an Apple fanboy, there's no benefit to seeing one of its competitors fade completely. Competition is good for ALL of us. Any intelligent person would want to see RIM right its ship, become competitive again and push Apple and Google to do better. There is no better landscape than one which is highly competitive.

Agreed.

Additionally, RIM is NOT going to just die. They have some incredible moats which will be hard to break down.

1) Extremely popular in India/China, where people might not be willing to pay for expensive data services.

2) BES is still the industry standard. This is not going to change easily in the Enterprise.

3) BBM is still extremely popular, and its hard to switch away from it.

Not that this is sufficient to keep them afloat, but it gives them enough time to try and turn things around. Besides, unlike most in the Android camp (except HTC) RIM is still making profits with their mobile efforts.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Well, let's hope Apple doesn't start supporting email addresses for @mac.com, @me.com, @icloud.com. That's just too confusing.

I'd rather have a @mac or @iCloud account. I don't like the @me for some reason...
  • Reply 31 of 54
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Yeah I know people who swear by their black berry. However, push streaming sounds kinda HOT. I hope Apple takes this far.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvolino View Post

How would iCloud do any more than MobileMe does today to remove a traffic burden in terms of maintaining email accounts and sync'ing contacts/calendars? If anything, the carriers are going to see traffic increase dramatically as people stream more stuff over it instead of playing media directly from their device! The "analysis" should have never passed through AppleInsider's 30 sec. editorial process.

I was wondering the same thing. Exactly what is being "offloaded" from the carriers? This is going to lead to far more carrier traffic, not less. Add on tiered pricing structures for bandwidth and the carriers stand to to make a bundle off our iClound usage.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Agreed.

Additionally, RIM is NOT going to just die. They have some incredible moats which will be hard to break down.

1) Extremely popular in India/China, where people might not be willing to pay for expensive data services.

2) BES is still the industry standard. This is not going to change easily in the Enterprise.

3) BBM is still extremely popular, and its hard to switch away from it.

Not that this is sufficient to keep them afloat, but it gives them enough time to try and turn things around. Besides, unlike most in the Android camp (except HTC) RIM is still making profits with their mobile efforts.

Actually if ActiveSynch is not already the Defacto standard for Enterprise email synch, it will be within 12 months. It is getting hard to find companies that have more users on BES than Activesynch.

Perhaps BBM is popular in your company, but iI have worked with at least 25 of the fortune 100 in the past 3-4 years and not one of them is using BBM.

People have a lot of convoluted reasons why RIM won't die. Unfortunately for RIM, none of them are valid. RIM will either do something dramatically different in the next 18 months or they will not exist in 5 years.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'd rather have a @mac or @iCloud account. I don't like the @me for some reason...

Especially if your email address is RIGHTBACK, POKEFUN, THROWSTONES ...
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Actually if ActiveSynch is not already the Defacto standard for Enterprise email synch, it will be within 12 months. It is getting hard to find companies that have more users on BES than Activesynch.

How hard have you been searching?

Quote:

Perhaps BBM is popular in your company, but iI have worked with at least 25 of the fortune 100 in the past 3-4 years and not one of them is using BBM.

BBM is quite popular amongst teenagers.

Quote:

People have a lot of convoluted reasons why RIM won't die. Unfortunately for RIM, none of them are valid. RIM will either do something dramatically different in the next 18 months or they will not exist in 5 years.

"None of them are valid." Just like that, without a single reason, you have dismissed every convoluted reason? Your debating skills are woefully inadequate, Wovel.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    lifelonglifelong Posts: 7member
    Quote:

So your claim to expertise is that you can't hold down a job? BBM is quite popular amongst teenagers.

Have you ever heard of a consultant?
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifelong View Post

Have you ever heard of a consultant? No? [REDACTED]

Welcome to the forums. We don't insult others here.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Welcome to the forums. We don't insult others here.

Oh, I see...

Quote:

So your claim to expertise is that you can't hold down a job?

...but passive agressive insults are OK.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    mikep123mikep123 Posts: 31member
    So, will I need the dock anymore for my iPhone/iPod except for convenient charging? In addition to whatever else it does, it sounds like iCloud may effectively be the wireless syncing people have wanted or am I missing something?
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikep123 View Post

So, will I need the dock anymore for my iPhone/iPod except for convenient charging? In addition to whatever else it does, it sounds like iCloud may effectively be the wireless syncing people have wanted or am I missing something?

You're missing that we know nothing about it yet, so you shouldn't get your hopes up.