Launch of Apple's iCloud predicted to cause 'collateral damage' on RIM

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    No damage to rim here at all. Rim is for business, hardcore, we don't have fun and work 80 hour weeks business. iPhone is for consumer and we work 40 hour weeks and btw don't have that much problems with hacker attacks on our organization trying to spy out our info business.

Rim will have a long and healthy life as a niche business company along with Microsoft, cause there is no competition in the corporate it world. There a nail that sticks out gets hammered down.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

How hard have you been searching?

So your claim to expertise is that you can't hold down a job? BBM is quite popular amongst teenagers.

"None of them are valid." Just like that, without a single reason, you have dismissed every convoluted reason? Your debating skills are woefully inadequate, Wovel.

Actually I am a consultant and have worked for the same company for twenty years. I already stated my reasons quite clearly. The fact that you chose to ignore them is of absolutely no importance to me. Blackberry usage in the Enterprise is on a steep decline. It is simply a fact. It is possible that you still work with one of the tiny percentage of companies that require employees to use a blackberry to access their email, but I doubt it.

You offered nothing at all to suggest what will stop RIMs rapid descent into the abyss. The only thing anyone said was that enterprise server and BBM are important to business. Both of those statements are false. Microsoft killed RIM. They licensed ActiveSync to Apple and Google (probably others too). Then they licensed ActiveSync for Lotus Notes (their only real competitor in Enterprise Email) and GMail (Some enterprise usage, countless small businesses, and growing popularity with Universities).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

Oh, I see...

...but passive agressive insults are OK.

I appreciate your support. However, I am not to concerned about the uninformed opinion of someone who believes RIM is still strong in the Enterprise, not declining, and will remain so. (I see what I did there).

I wish I had seen the redacted insult though
  • Reply 43 of 54
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

Oh, I see...

...but passive agressive insults are OK.

Apparently, this is ok as well. What the moderators choose to allow and disallow is beyond my understanding.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Apple has history of offering trial periods for their services: I joined .Mac via the free trial but then let it lapse. I bought an iPad and took the free trial of MobileMe, got hooked and subscribed.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of networks and providers is scant...but I'm confused as well. If we're moving through a carrier like ATT for data, what, exactly, is being offloaded? Someone more knowledgeable, please throw me a bone.

Data is data is data is data . So apple could be its own carrier at times for voice and data . or iys could sell free time to other carriers . This data farm is very powerful tool when combined with all other things apple does so well.

maybe

• Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

So anyone who doesn't innovate should die? That would have included Apple just a bit over 10 years ago. Imagine if it wasn't given a chance to turn around? RIM is in way better shape than Apple before Jobs' return.

Even if one's an Apple fanboy, there's no benefit to seeing one of its competitors fade completely. Competition is good for ALL of us. Any intelligent person would want to see RIM right its ship, become competitive again and push Apple and Google to do better. There is no better landscape than one which is highly competitive.

wtf??? rim has shareholders who want blood on the streets . they want profits

if profits are found with gandi fine .

Apple played gandi with Eric E. Schmidt FROM google and we see how that all worked out .

steve jobs gave gates a look at what was what and nearly killed apple

dude please take it back

• Reply 47 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Apparently, this is ok as well. What the moderators choose to allow and disallow is beyond my understanding.

We never claimed to be perfect or omnipresent. If you see a problem post, please report it. Assuming that there is some kind of intent when there are more benign interpretations is a bit much.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I sure hope they can make iCloud into more of a SalesForce alternative than just online music storage... If that is all it is, what benefit does it really offer developers?

I think Apple is viewing iCloud as a benefit for its' users mainly. Developers may also benefit but I don't think that is Apple's focus initially. We will find out Monday. I predict that music will not ultimately be the driving force for using iCloud.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This "research note" makes no sense at all. Why is iCloud going to hurt RIMM more than the others? The only way it hurts RIMM is because it makes iOS more attractive, but that hurts all companies the same, right?

I think Shaw Wu is trying to say that iCloud is going to bring bigger things beyond music streaming.

But unless iCloud directly targets BlackBerry Messenger-type features which are a level beyond Mobile Me, I'm not sure whether RIM will directly suffer.

When I talk about this level beyond Mobile Me, it is the obvious case of BlackBerry users having the ability to have any email address to be "pushed", particularly corporate emails. Even if iCloud was free for everyone, it may only have push email for iCloud email addresses. If iCloud and iOS 5 enabled push email for FREE through Apple servers for ANY email address, then this would be a blow to RIM. I wonder if this is clarified in Shaw's note.

You could say the obvious motive is Shaw is trying to use the iCloud hype to push AAPL and short RIMM.

Edit: Yes, there's push email on iPhone through other means such as Microsoft servers, etc. but the company has to run those Microsoft servers. Imagine iCloud and iOS 5 offering ubiquitous push email with no configuration needed other than entering your email account and host. This would be a punch to the 'nads for RIM.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think Shaw Wu is trying to say that iCloud is going to bring bigger things beyond music streaming.

But unless iCloud directly targets BlackBerry Messenger-type features which are a level beyond Mobile Me, I'm not sure whether RIM will directly suffer.

When I talk about this level beyond Mobile Me, it is the obvious case of BlackBerry users having the ability to have any email address to be "pushed", particularly corporate emails. Even if iCloud was free for everyone, it may only have push email for iCloud email addresses. If iCloud and iOS 5 enabled push email for FREE through Apple servers for ANY email address, then this would be a blow to RIM. I wonder if this is clarified in Shaw's note.

You could say the obvious motive is Shaw is trying to use the iCloud hype to push AAPL and short RIMM.

Edit: Yes, there's push email on iPhone through other means such as Microsoft servers, etc. but the company has to run those Microsoft servers. Imagine iCloud and iOS 5 offering ubiquitous push email with no configuration needed other than entering your email account and host. This would be a punch to the 'nads for RIM.

what does PUSH mean ?? FASTER EMAIL ??
  • Reply 51 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I've always understood it as near-instantaneous email notification.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've always understood it as near-instantaneous email notification.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-push-email.htm

It is the cornerstone of CrackBerry:

http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/features/email.jsp

Multiple Email Accounts

Add up to 10 personal (such as AOL® Mail, Windows Live? Hotmail, Google Mail? or Yahoo!® Mail) and work email address to your BlackBerry smartphone. And if you need a new one, choose a unique BlackBerry email address just for your smartphone.

Push Delivery Technology

Stay in the loop with push-delivery technology, which instantly alerts you via your BlackBerry smartphone when messages are sent to any of your personal and business-based email addresses.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Actually I am a consultant and have worked for the same company for twenty years. I already stated my reasons quite clearly. The fact that you chose to ignore them is of absolutely no importance to me. Blackberry usage in the Enterprise is on a steep decline. It is simply a fact. It is possible that you still work with one of the tiny percentage of companies that require employees to use a blackberry to access their email, but I doubt it.

Mmmm...seems that the feeling around of the IT gurus I know is that BES is still better than Good. I find it kinda hard to believe that the Fortune 100 IT departments are that agile to have migrated to Good so quickly or that insecure that they're running bare ActiveSync + iPhone security. Much less Android security.

Good only (mostly) secured iOS recently and given that Good only secures it's app it might still leave VPN vulnerable since general apps still have access to the phone's data connection. In 2011 you can configure Good to meet HIPPA and FIPS 140-2 for the iPhone (sorta...I recall it's still classified as in testing) but prior to iOS 4?

A lot of shops piloted Good when it looked like RIM might end up being shut down in the US in 2006 (that NTP thing) as a fallback but I'm calling bullshit when you claim that BES usage is down to a "tiny percentage" in large Fortune 100 IT shops with real security concerns (all of them).

If it's a "fact" that Fortune 100 shops were abandoning BES in droves then CIO and the other trade mags would have had that as a freaking huge headline and there'd be an assload of BES admins looking for work.

Anyone can claim to be an expert on the internet...but someone that ignores enterprise security in any discussion about BES vs ActiveSync doesn't strike me as much a consultant as poser.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Well, I guess Wu's comments make more sense now, but they still show he was talking out of his ass. I am guessing he was tipped to some of the WWDC announcements as being aimed straight at RIM, which is obviously true with iMessages. But, I think he took this to mean iCloud (since the name was publicly known) and somehow convinced himself that iCloud would be more of a threat to RIM than to the other competitors, which it is not. iCloud itself seems most likely to threaten Google (Android and their own cloud services, including the upcoming music service) and Amazon.