Apple's iPhone passes RIM's BlackBerry in U.S. smartphone usage

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Argument #1: Android phones are $200; on Verizon they can climb up to $300.

The Iphone 3GS is $50 it doesn't take a genius to see the correlation between sales and price.

Argument #2: Android Sales did not take a dip UNTIL the verizon Iphone was announced. The 3GS on Verizon would be irrelevant because almost everyone would by the 4's

Rebuttal 1: What happened to the "Apple is overpriced/raping customers Waah!" argument?

Rebuttal 2: So you admit the iPhone on Verizon has affected Android-based device sales?
  • Reply 22 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Argument #1: Android phones are $200; on Verizon they can climb up to $300.

The Iphone 3GS is $50 it doesn't take a genius to see the correlation between sales and price.

Argument #2: Android Sales did not take a dip UNTIL the verizon Iphone was announced. The 3GS on Verizon would be irrelevant because almost everyone would by the 4's

1) Really, all of them are $200? I can see the LG optimus selling from $200 to $19.9 depending on plans.

2) ? Part of the market is price sensitive, and some section of that market is on verizon. More of it is on Sprint and T-Mobile. If APple had the 3GS and iPhone 4 on all carriers it would sell more. How much more is up for debate, more isn't.

By the way it is a nonsense to talk about the price of the iPhone at $50. Thats with a specific plan. The iPhone costs all kinds of different upfront costs outside the US, for the same phone.

No idea why that is so difficult in the US ( for iPhones only).
  • Reply 23 of 36
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Rebuttal 1: What happened to the "Apple is overpriced/raping customers Waah!" argument?

Rebuttal 2: So you admit the iPhone on Verizon has affected Android-based device sales?

Rebuttal 1: The Wallet Raping argument is only applicable to the desktop Computing sector. It is irrelevant in the smartphone sector and soon the be PMP's because both Apple and competitors are roughly pricing products equivalently.

Rebuttal 2: Your acting as if I'm incapable of rationalizing with your side's points SOLELY because I prefer the opposing side. Just because I may not be fond of your company does not mean I will stand against them at every possible turn no matter what. Do you want me to admit it? I can type it all in caps.

Anyone who says Big Red's Iphone would NOT affect Android sales clearly underestimated the Average US consumer.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

Rebuttal 2: Your acting as if I'm incapable of rationalizing with your side's points SOLELY because I prefer the opposing side. Just because I may not be fond of your company does not mean I will stand against them at every possible turn no matter what. Do you want me to admit it? I can type it all in caps.

Anyone who says Big Red's Iphone would NOT affect Android sales clearly underestimated the Average US consumer.

You still apparently think that if Apple had the 3GS on all carriers, rather than the iPhone 4 on 2 and the 3GS on just 1, it wouldn't make much difference. That is fairly blinkered. You argued that the iPhone 4 affected Android phones only to make the ( spurious) point that most people on Verizon would only buy the iPhone 4 and wouldn't have bought the 3GS in the time period in question. That is a massive mis-understanding of markets and price points.

And your first rebuttal is wrong too - the iPhone is expensive. Both models are expensive.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

1) Really, all of them are $200? I can see the LG optimus selling from $200 to $19.9 depending on plans.

2) ? Part of the market is price sensitive, and some section of that market is on verizon. More of it is on Sprint and T-Mobile. If APple had the 3GS and iPhone 4 on all carriers it would sell more. How much more is up for debate, more isn't.

By the way it is a nonsense to talk about the price of the iPhone at $50. Thats with a specific plan. The iPhone costs all kinds of different upfront costs outside the US, for the same phone.

No idea why that is so difficult in the US ( for iPhones only).

1. Excluding promotional plans or deals? Yes, All new(at least) Android phones are(at least again) $200 On any carrier. Locked on nationwide, outright on rural.

Although to further specify, these prices would most likely apply to high end models, which become obsolete within months anyway.

2. Ever heard of Prepaid? I'm NOT arguing that Apple would not sell more if all 4 were signed on. I AGREE that the Iphone sales would explode if such an event happened.

$50 at a specific plan in the US? These all look the same to me:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...id=h3MmVYhFU2o

And if we're including the rest of the world, You as well as I should know that technologically anything that matters in terms of consumer benefits would have the least chance of actually being better than the rest of the world's when introduced into the US.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:

You still apparently think that if Apple had the 3GS on all carriers, rather than the iPhone 4 on 2 and the 3GS on just 1, it wouldn't make much difference. That is fairly blinkered. You argued that the iPhone 4 affected Android phones only to make the ( spurious) point that most people on Verizon would only buy the iPhone 4 and wouldn't have bought the 3GS in the time period in question. That is a massive mis-understanding of markets and price points.

And your first rebuttal is wrong too - the iPhone is expensive. Both models are expensive.

If the 4 was NOT out, then the 3GS would have made MORE of an impact, not NO impact. BUT, the 4 exists, so LESS people would be likely to purchase said product. People generally like to be up to date or at least stable with technology.

T-Mobile Android phones I can state with certainty would have taken the most damage. Sprint's EVO, despite it's innumerable short comings would have held the fort for sprint.

As for my first rebuttal:

Again: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...id=h3MmVYhFU2o

Compare to: Droid X 2-$200/2 year contract

Samsung Droid Charge- $300/2 year contract

HTC Thunderbolt- $250/2 year contract

HTC EVO(to this day)- $200/2 year contract.

I haven't found any T-mobile phones for $200 because they are still trying to convince their subscribers that ATT won't have them bend over and take it all the way.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

If the 4 was NOT out, then the 3GS would have made MORE of an impact, not NO impact. BUT, the 4 exists, so LESS people would be likely to purchase said product. People generally like to be up to date or at least stable with technology.

I am a bit tired of going around in circles here with pseudo-rebuttals so lets quote someone who agrees with my substantive points about how Apple has room to grow. I will name the supporter in a minute.

I'm NOT arguing that Apple would not sell more if all 4 were signed on. I AGREE that the Iphone sales would explode if such an event happened.

Oh, that was you agreeing with my main point.

Quote:

Compare to: Droid X 2-$200/2 year contract

Samsung Droid Charge- $300/2 year contract

HTC Thunderbolt- $250/2 year contract

HTC EVO(to this day)- $200/2 year contract.

I haven't found any T-mobile phones for $200 because they are still trying to convince their subscribers that ATT won't have them bend over and take it all the way.

The real cost of any phone has to be it's unlocked, non-refurbished price. Phones sold on contract bury the real price in the contract. The 3GS costs $499 in the Apple store. A quick search on google finds an unlocked HTC Hero at $270. Heres a few more.

( sort by low to high).
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

I am a bit tired of going around in circles here with pseudo-rebuttals so lets quote someone who agrees with my substantive points about how Apple has room to grow. I will name the supporter in a minute.

I'm NOT arguing that Apple would not sell more if all 4 were signed on. I AGREE that the Iphone sales would explode if such an event happened.

Oh, that was you agreeing with my main point.

The real cost of any phone has to be it's unlocked, non-refurbished price. Phones sold on contract bury the real price in the contract. The 3GS costs $499 in the Apple store. A quick search on google finds an unlocked HTC Hero at $270. Heres a few more.

( sort by low to high).

That was what I was trying to get to you about. The situation if presented as you were describing if it manifested would have gone according to YOUR Prediction. But it has not manifested in such a large scale way yet.

OK, So we want unlocked phones to be compared. Very well. There are still about 12 or 13 of those phones that outprice the 3GS. Most of Those highly priced unlocked phones are the ones well known. I only counted 1 phone and for each and ignored any multiples(such as different colors and such.)
  • Reply 29 of 36
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    I think the important point here is that in a quarter where iPhone 4 went two carriers, and 3 was on sale, Android still kicked iOS's butt bit time.

And the big android releases most people are hanging out for coming this quarter.

Both iPhones on all carriers, with permanent lowering of 3GS prices and apple might be able to slow the losses to android. But in the long term, the writing is on the wall - read it.

iPhone is dead - long live android
  • Reply 30 of 36
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

But Android is growing at >5% and Apple is just over 1%. At some point, we have to admit that the trend is clear - Apple is settling in 2nd place and the gap is growing into a chasm. A game-changer is needed to bridge this. Making the iP4 available on Verizon clearly wasn't it.

Apple will still be #winning even in 2nd place.

But let's be clear... when you say "Android" you really mean all the phones that run Google's Android OS.

Yes... there are many phones that run Android... certainly more than the couple of iPhones in different colors and capacities.

If market share is your only yardstick for measurement... then Android has already "won"

But Apple is mopping the floor in other areas of the mobile industry... (other companies would KILL for Apple's numbers)
  • Reply 31 of 36
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 32 of 36
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I

Both iPhones on all carriers, with permanent lowering of 3GS prices and apple might be able to slow the losses to android.

Which losses are those?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Samsung phones nearly three times more popular than Apple's:

A table showing Samsung's share going down, and Apple's going up.... is pretty poor quality trolling. Cummon' Rulez try to lift your game a little!
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I think the important point here is that in a quarter where iPhone 4 went two carriers, and 3 was on sale, Android still kicked iOS's butt bit time.

And the big android releases most people are hanging out for coming this quarter.

Both iPhones on all carriers, with permanent lowering of 3GS prices and apple might be able to slow the losses to android. But in the long term, the writing is on the wall - read it.

iPhone is dead - long live android

lol. Its like talking to the wall. In a quarter with an old iPhone, on just two carriers, with only one on both, Android's shoddy and cheap options did not actually manage any kind of inroads into Applle's market share. And the 3GS wasn't "on sale". It reduced it's high price point by $50. Its still more expensive than most Android phones, and it is 2 years old. But beating most Android phones.

Android is now long time doomed. Its a feature phone anyway, but when Apple has 5 models, on 4 carriers, it is an irrelevance ( I think that Windows will take some off it too, devs like it better).
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Looks like all those forecast about Android been ahead of the iphone are not wrong after all. I just wish apple start giving more options for people that like choices (more than just one phone one size) and customization; maybe the IOS 5 will bring some of that.

Anyway, the competition is good for us, we get better products.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Under the radar, RIM has acquired Scoreloop, indicating they have plans for the gaming market too. A bit of a surprise.

http://www.scoreloop.com/