Microsoft rumored to announce subscription TV service as Apple's iCloud looms

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    nondualnondual Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bk212 View Post

So Apple should not have released a smartphone because Rokr and Newton failed?

Microsoft has 35 million active Xbox Live users on broadband. That's more than Comcast subscribers. You never know, it could work.

When I found I couldn't use Netflix without having a Gold Xbox Live account, I literally gave up my Xbox and will ONLY get games that are 1) exclusive and 2) games I really want to play. I bought my Xbox primarily for Forza 3 and Mass Effect 2 (and to prepare myself for the possibility that the next Elder Scrolls only plays well on Xbox).

I shouldn't need to pay MicroSoft an expensive yearly fee to access another fee-based service like Netflix or Hulu - especially when I can get both through the Wii, PS3, computer, iPad, etc. Plus, they don't take debit cards, they only take credit cards to purchase points or a Gold account. I'm swearing off debt and rapidly paying mine down - I will NOT use a service that requires a credit card. Heck, I'd probably give in and pay them for a yearly service and occasional impulse online store games/DLC IF I didn't have to go to Amazon and get a code because they won't take a debit card. Not only that, but when I tried multiple times to input a debit card, the system itself didn't tell me what the problem is, I had to call MS support to find out the answer.

Lastly, my first Xbox360 RROD'd. I shouldn't have been shocked, but I was and am still bitter about it.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Semi OT: When the PS3 network went down it took my Netflix with it. I can't log in to watch so that hastened my decision to buy the Apple TV 2. OH MY GOD! Netflix on Apple TV rocks. The UI is the same as ATV. Add to that the sports packages, and if the NFL and NCAA jump in for football I'm so there.

I could give a flying leap what MS does. Unless it is some major leap from ATV, no way I'll buy an XB just to watch. Oh, and FWIW, the PS3 was just a very expensive toy to play select games with. The other online features never appealed to me much.

Didn't MS make some type of an advance announcement before last year's WWDC? Shouldn't they be focusing on and announcing products that are ready to ship TODAY? Hasn't their marketing department figured out we're onto the "vaporware" trail? This is how Apple broke that lame cycle. Announce only when you're ready and make sure the product will kick serious ass.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

At least Microsoft gave people free replacements and a 3 year warranty. MS then redesigned the entire device.

Apple would have just told users, you were "holding it wrong".

I've had Apple replaces TONS of devices, no questions asked. I know of at least five times I took a product in that had issues and they went in the back room and gave me a new one.

As for AntennaGate... get over it. It was never a problem and Apple was simply trying to shut up people who were making it a big deal. Seriously, the iPhone 4 is awesome and I've never dropped a call with it, case or not.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Semi OT: When the PS3 network went down it took my Netflix with it. I can't log in to watch so that hastened my decision to buy the Apple TV 2. OH MY GOD! Netflix on Apple TV rocks. The UI is the same as ATV. Add to that the sports packages, and if the NFL and NCAA jump in for football I'm so there.

Netflix is now the example I use when people argue that such-and-such has the exact same features as some other electronics HW or SW in name, but only in name.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:

At last years E3, Microsoft launched the fastest-selling consumer device in history which is Guinness record holder.

The Kinnect is an accessory not a consumer electron device.
  • Reply 66 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

I hear ya, but according to those that apparently count these things it counts as CE. What they don't seem to consider are other accessory CE. What the trolls and myopic constantly do is forget to include a timeframe with that record. With analysts predicting stock you know it's 12 months unless otherwise stated, but I don't think there is a specific duration limit for any consumer sales.

Being a way to add life a dusty ol' console I can see why it was a success, even if we ignore the cleverness of the accessory, but the curve of its sales have to have fairly soon after it shipped, even for CE. The iPhone, iPad and Mac are still still increasing in sales. I think only the iPod is decreasing and that is offset by the iPhone being an iPod and the iPod Touch taking up a lot of the slack which has plateaued the profits, IIRC.

PS: New Rule: If Kinect gets to account as CE despite requiring an Xbox 360 for all usage then the iPad gets to counts to count as a 'PC' despite requiring a 'PC' for the initial usage.

PPS: I bet after the iPad becomes completely untethered from the 'PC' the analysts still won't change its designation despite that being the primary argument against it.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Anyone who thinks Internet Ready TVs are going to dominate the landscape even within 10 years are fooling themselves.

The bulk of consumers, at least in the US, have yet to even upgrade to an HDTV. They like the concept of using Computers for Net work and TV for Theater entertainment.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    You play chess not by positioning your own pieces, but by positioning your opponent's.

Nicely done, Apple.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor claims Microsoft will announce an Xbox LIVE subscription TV service next week at the E3 conference on the heels of Apple's unveiling of its iCloud service.

Winrumors reports that, according to sources familiar with Microsoft's plans, the Redmond, Wash., software giant is set to take the wraps off an Xbox LIVE subscription TV service next week. "The company is on lockdown for its big announcement and some demos and details might be held back if agreements are not in place in time," the report noted.

For its part, Apple is said to be in the midst of negotiations with major Hollywood film and TV studios to allow customers to store content on Apple's servers via the iCloud service.

Oddly for all the great stuff hulu netflix xbox google can do .

Apple TV and Apple App store is a highly polished HD service that is fantastic.

and whats the point of ever leaving itunes ??

i own xbox.netflix.hulu fios their ok i guess .

soon i will drop them all for APPLE SERVICES INC WORLDWIDE IN THE CLOUDS

rock on steve

rock on

• Reply 70 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom... boom...

De-vel-o-pers-De-vel-o-pers-De...

dude

you rock

• Reply 71 of 92
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The Xbox is as powerful in the home as the iPhone is in the pocket. It is Microsoft's last Ace card.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    nondualnondual Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The Xbox is as powerful in the home as the iPhone is in the pocket. It is Microsoft's last Ace card.

I know I'm just one person, but MS has turned me from an AVID Xbox fanboi with the original Xbox to a 'Never going near them again' hater with the Xbox360.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

You play chess not by positioning your own pieces, but by positioning your opponent's.

Nicely done, Apple.

+++ QFT... Nice!
  • Reply 74 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Nicely done, Apple.

nice nice i learned something cool today

i will teach my 10 yr tonight when we play .

thanks great advice

peace 9
  • Reply 75 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Oh goody, another MajorCrap "me too" product. Apple HAS something so, MC has to SAY they're GONNA have something. Me too, look at me, look at me, don't look at them, ours will be better. I am so underwhelmed.

In case, Apple would be the 'me too. Microsoft said from the beginning they hoped to work out the deals to have this in the US and likely signed up to do an announcement of something at E3 weeks or even months ago.

And at this point Apple nothing subscription for music, movies or tv. And no solid rumors they are planning to for the near future
  • Reply 76 of 92
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Doesn't Microsoft always try to announce something pathetic and inferior right before Apple announces the next new thing?

The HP Tablet (that never came to light) before the iPad, for example?
  • Reply 77 of 92
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Snarky?

iSnarky
  • Reply 78 of 92
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

It has protons and neutrons too
  • Reply 79 of 92
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a ridiculous thing to say. Most studies show that somewhere around 50-55% of any given population doesn't care a fig about sports and even among those that enjoy it, it's not always the centre of their world.

Not ridiculous at all. There's a reason why ESPN's carriage fees are 4X higher than any other non-sports cable channel. And why the local regional sports networks' carriage fees are also more than double what the top tier non-sports cable channels charge. More so than any other audience, the sports audience will make decisions about their TV service solely on the basis of whether their channels and teams of choice are included. No other channel or category has that kind of influence, and the cable companies know this.

Just as an example, Comcast Sportsnet carries the Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies games in the Philly market. Because of the so-called terrestrial loophole, CSN Philadelphia is not available on satellite. In the Philly market, satellite penetration is about half the national average. Satellite has more channels, more HD, and arguably better service. But, they don't carry the local RSN, so their subscriber numbers in that market are about half of what satellite typically gets in other markets.

Right now, you have local teams entering into long-term deals with the RSNs with 10+ year terms and dollar values over $1 billion EACH (e.g., the pending deal between Fox and the Dodgers is for 20 years and $3 billion). Again, no other channel or audience category can attain those kinds of content deals.

Even if sports fans comprise only about 50% of the audience, cable/satellite providers know that all they have to do is lock up the sports content and half of their subscribers will not defect. The magnitude of these content deals means that existing blackout rules will still apply, and local teams will remain off of sports streaming sites. And unlike with other entertainment programming, sports is more immune from piracy because the sports audience wants to see the games live and they want it in HD.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Doesn't Microsoft always try to announce something pathetic and inferior right before Apple announces the next new thing?

The HP Tablet (that never came to light) before the iPad, for example?

Yeah, it reminds me of when MS announced the Zune HD a couple of weeks before Apple introduced the iPhone 3GS. MS made the Zune announcement in May, but the product didn't ship until December. Nothing more than a pathetic FUD attempt by Ballmer & Co., since they announced the Zune HD well before the prototypes even had working web browsers.

While MS peddled vaporware, Apple shipped the iPhone 3GS, iOS 3, and updated versions of their entire iPod lineup between the time of the Zune HD announcement and when working units actually appeared at retail.