MBP 13" Which is better?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all, I'm thinking about purchasing my first Mac and since I'm always on the go, I'd like some opinions regarding the MBP 13".

Should I get the i5 or the i7? Which one is better bang for the buck?

As a side note, I don't game much. I do however, deal with a lot of video/music files.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alew View Post

Hey all, I'm thinking about purchasing my first Mac and since I'm always on the go, I'd like some opinions regarding the MBP 13".

As a side note, I don't game much. I do however, deal with a lot of video/music files.

i7 speed is really only going to kick in with apps that love a LOT of memory a la Photoshop. If you don't live in an app that eats of gobs of memory go with the i5
  • Reply 2 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alew View Post

Are you doing much editing of video or music files? If so you ought to think about the 15" MBP with the quad core CPU. They can be had for under $1600 as a refurbished model which is not much more than the 13" model.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Are you doing much editing of video or music files? If so you ought to think about the 15" MBP with the quad core CPU. They can be had for under $1600 as a refurbished model which is not much more than the 13" model.

I thought they were having problems with the 2011 15 inch MBP pertaining to heating problems.This unit to big to carry around.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    alewalew Posts: 15member
    yeah that's the problem. I don't think I want to trudge around with a 15" MBP. But no, I won't be using programs like final cut or iMovie. I'll be at most, converting the formats of the videos on the MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Hi!

I bought the base 13'' model yesterday to replace my 4,5 year old Macbook

Its really fast! I mostly use my Mac for photography and use Apeture and Pixelmator for library and editing and its such a difference in speed compared to my old Mac!

Since the i7 in the 13'' model is just 2 cores i dont think it will be a big speed difference! Its better to save those money so u can later buy a bigger internal harddrive or ssd!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I just purchased a refurb Macbook Pro 13" 2.3 ghz i5, 128 gb SSD. This thing sizzles! 15 second boot from cold. Launches applications in 1-2 seconds, even garageband and excel! Seems pretty fast for rendering iMovie projects. Runs youtube/flash with very little fan noise. Awesome build quality. It is marginally heavier than the M B Air. Was $1229 the other day. They seem to have sold out very quickly. Very impressed.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

I just purchased a refurb Macbook Pro 13" 2.3 ghz i5, 128 gb SSD. This thing sizzles! 15 second boot from cold. Launches applications in 1-2 seconds, even garageband and excel! Seems pretty fast for rendering iMovie projects. Runs youtube/flash with very little fan noise. Awesome build quality. It is marginally heavier than the M B Air. Was $1229 the other day. They seem to have sold out very quickly. Very impressed.

Glad to see that you got it. I'm planning on selling my current MB and either getting an Air or Pro, depending on my budget. Good save by going with the refurb though; people constantly get them and swear by the quality and condition they come in.

Question though, is the battery new or does it already have some charges on it?