Rumor: Think of Apple's iCloud as 'the new iTunes'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 150
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

People were demanding that Apple introduce untethered syncing -- get rid of that umbilical cord, we do it for new-born babies, so why not for techtoys.

Now, when there's speculation that Apple may just do that, we get all these negative reponses -- doomsday stuff, really. Get indoors, crawl under the bed, the world as we know it ends today.

There was the opportunity for wireless syncing between apple devices, but not bringing internet streaming into it.
  • Reply 102 of 150
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Yay!

Finally someone has figured out how to solve the hassle of having all my data, songs, apps, books, and movies available with me at all times and replaced it with the convienence of downloading it all over and over again over slow public wi-fi!

We've gone through this before. This doesn't suite you because you are not a typical user.

You are a small percentage minority case.

Apple doesn't tend to make products for small niche markets.

For the small number of users like yourself the old way of syncing will still be available.
  • Reply 103 of 150
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    This is what I love about Apple. They plan their sh**! Not like the other guys that just throw crap together and hope it sticks.

That data center is amazing from what I have seen. And I believe there will be more surprises today.
  • Reply 104 of 150
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Data stolen from individual iPhones? Like someone guessed the password, or jailbroke the OS, something like that? I don't know how Apple would even know it's not the genuine owner until after the fact, when the genuine owner starts complaining.

Data stolen by trojan horses on the phone. Which Apple knew about.
  • Reply 105 of 150
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

But you cannot categorically say it is impossible to prove a negative.

Gah! Too many negatives in one sentence! You're hurting my braaaaiiin!!!
  • Reply 106 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

We've gone through this before. This doesn't suite you because you are not a typical user.

My not watching TV in 7 years has what exactly to do with syncing data to an iPad?
  • Reply 107 of 150
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Apple also testified to Congress that user data has been stolen multiple times from the iPhone.

That's not the same thing as informing a user their data has been stolen.

Got a link? I never really followed the Congress story. Now you've got me interested.
  • Reply 108 of 150
    kdjohn3kdjohn3 Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Last I checked we don't generate electricity from petroleum.

When was the last time you checked? Let me guess - NEVER! The percentage is small, but we do generate electricity by burning petroleum.

Ooooh! Looky here! A diesel power plant!

A diesel emergency generator. Very similar to the one outside the building I work at.

A portable generator you can take camping or tailgating.

• Reply 109 of 150
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

My not watching TV in 7 years has what exactly to do with syncing data to an iPad?

Nothing.
  • Reply 110 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Got a link? I never really followed the Congress story. Now you've got me interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naBMWcfSuqM

From 9:43
  • Reply 111 of 150
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I have tons of songs on my computer... that I could sync to a phone.

So will I have songs on my computer... then sync them to the cloud... then sync them to the phone?

The whole point of syncing something is to make sure you've got 2 copies of something the same.

With computer--cloud--phone... it's gets a little murkier.

Are they suggesting that I don't keep songs on my own computer?

I can't wait for tomorrow...

I don't think people (Apple+ Money Grubbing Record Labels) are taking away your today (yesterday). That just isn't tomorrow (today).

I do think for most people, they want to purchase lifetime transferrable (to machines they own) license to listen. These people don't think in GB or sync's. They just think in 'owns'. Every box they have has the ability to sync entire songs, or sync a snippet (see patent filed a few months back), that can be completed by your LAN (Time Capsule), or public cloud (the intertubes to the NC data center).

Syncing will basically become what Time Machine is today. A backup your machines do every hour if they are connected to the net. Minimally to your local Time Capsule, who then participates in the collective cloud (borg like), if you so choose). so when you say 'autofill' from playlist, it happens... immediately, at least within your home. On the web, you may want to say 'sync now'

Isn't that what people want... automagic syncing?
  • Reply 112 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdjohn3 View Post

When was the last time you checked? Let me guess - NEVER! The percentage is small, but we do generate electricity by burning petroleum.

Hmm... 1%.

Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 113 of 150
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Last I checked we don't generate electricity from petroleum.

Most countries do, although to a pretty small extent (and I am not talking about diesel-powered generators but big plants). More important though is natural gas most of it comes from somewhat unstable countries. And even though a number of Western democraties have enough gas to be net exporters, consuming less and thus exporting more, does reduce the imports other countries do from those 'unstable' countries.

And that is before looking at secondary effects like like sulphur, mercury and other emissions from coal burning.
  • Reply 114 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

And that is before looking at secondary effects like like sulphur, mercury and other emissions from coal burning.

Yes. There's scrubbers to take of such things, and laws saying they must be installed. But the industry has been managing to drag its feet for years on this. Would really like to see the government move aggressively getting them installed.
  • Reply 115 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrak05 View Post

If this is the "New iTunes" think about geting a new iPod, iPhone, or iPad and geting this stuff from the iCloud again. It's ridiculous! If you want to do all of these things over 3G or 4G depending on the situation you will be charged, there is a lot of data here. You have music, movies, and tv shows. If you're on broadband think about how slow it will be, even with broadband. Apple wouldn't be this stupid to take EVERYTHING to the cloud.

It is ridiculous to offer the option to bypass iTunes for situations where this has advantages?

Or isn't it rather ridiculous to insinuate that a new optional way of doing things is equal to making this new way the only way when there is no reason whatsoever for Apple to take away the existing options?
  • Reply 115 of 150
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I'm fully expecting an NFC announcement somewhere in today's presentation. I see Apple plans to use NFC to tap and transfer data between iPhones and iPads using new Airport and/or Time Machine hardware. With Apple being a seller of hardware rather than software I think that's the realistic path Apple has decided on. There's going to be a hardware purchase necessary besides just the primary users's iPhone or iPad.

That might not qualify as the "unique twist" that Apple mentioned in the past since data update/transfer using NFC is already being done (Google Health patient records for instance), so Apple may even have more creative uses for it. But using NFC to sync devices using Apple-specific hardware solutions is definitely in the works IMHO.
  • Reply 117 of 150
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Since they don't tell anyone when it gets stolen, there are no examples to point to.

I was waiting for just that response! Pathetic..... but the sad part is, you probably don't even see it!
  • Reply 118 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't get this. It seems to come up a lot-- that Gruber is right about stuff but he's a "clown."

Why? I read him all the time, he's generally pretty analytical. He has a weakness for pointing out some of the really bad prognostication tech pundits do around Apple and the industry, but I don't see why he's a clown.

Didn't you read the definition of clown in your dictionary: 'Anybody who disagrees with me'
  • Reply 119 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I was waiting for just that response! Pathetic..... but the sad part is, you probably don't even see it!

Welcome to ignore.
  • Reply 120 of 150
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

With wireless (not untethered, BTW) syncing, there will be power drain and so we will need to plug the iPhone/iPod to the computer more often for charging, making wireless syncing not just moot but in fact a drag.

There are places to plug your iOS device into for charging other than the computer. Many cars have USB ports in them these days. Many external batteries cover the dock port and provide only USB connectivity. There are even wall adaptors that provide USB power for things like Nooks, Kindles, and cell phones that can be used.

I think it'd be great if my computer and iOS devices were wirelessly aware of each other and could stay synced up without manual intervention.

I wonder how long before we see an iOS device with no external hardwired connection. Do all charging through induction. All comms through Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

I'd like for a "one more thing" to be some cool LightPeak/Thunderbolt announcements.

- Jasen.