WWDC expected to highlight Apple's focus on being better, not first to market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    I agree. I think iCloud will take all that Mobile Me currently does and will add your iDevice backup and syncing to the cloud. If you want to stream your iTunes content from a Time Capsule iTunes server that would be a seperate solution.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

I wonder if iCloud will allow you to connect to your Mac from your mobile device via the internet and "stream" your content from your own computer and not from some online storage. The fact that the server component is to be included in Lion seems to fall in line with this theory. It also seems to fall in line with the "Back to the Mac" mantra...when you're connecting via the cloud you're virtually going back to your Mac.

Personally, I would love this. I would always be apprehensive about leaving large numbers of my files with all my data on them in somebody else's hands...even a reliable player like Apple. But if I could access my data on my own Mac as if it were on the"cloud" that would really be cool.

This would also seem to allow full syncing of your mobile device with your Mac. No more syncing via iTunes...now you sync, stream, and access files to and from your Mac via iCloud.

MDCragg

• Reply 22 of 31
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    I'm guessing the Storage will be tiered?

I'll then I'm waiting to see the max allotted storage...but I'm guessing it will be large given the potential size of such media files
  • Reply 23 of 31
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    I was just wondering how this service would serve those in the third world countries in South Ameica, Africa and Asia?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

I was just wondering how this service would serve those in the third world countries in South Ameica, Africa and Asia?

In what regard? The more licensing required, especially for content, the less likely other markets are going to get supported.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Any idiot can cobble together a product and claim to be first to market.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Any idiot can cobble together a product and claim to be first to market.

Much like those idiots that cobble together some letters so they can be first to post on a blog or forum with: FIRST! I don't think I'll ever understand the mentality behind those posters.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    mdcraggmdcragg Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You can already do this with several 3rd-party apps. I use StreamToMe to access the content from all the Macs in the house (6) including a Mini Media-Server with 2 2TeraByte Drives containing 900 videos, 11,000 songs and lots of photos.

StreamToMe is a $2.99 Universal App that runs on all iDevices and the Mac component, ServeToMe is free,

I have used id successfully over 3G (when I had spare bandwidth on my monthly iPad allotment).

I know you can do this kind of thing with existing 3rd party apps and I have dabbled in them a bit. Integrating them into the whole Apple/Mac/iDevice paradigm though in some cool way might be attractive.

If that is not what iCloud turns out to be however I may look into StreamToMe though.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I'm guessing the Storage will be tiered?

I'll then I'm waiting to see the max allotted storage...but I'm guessing it will be large given the potential size of such media files

Surely Apple would not need to store a separate version of each file for each individual customer. The content you've bought would just stream from shared resources in the data farm in the same way Apple TV rentals do. And so the storage allocation (for media anyway) would be (or at least seem to be) unlimited.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

"This approach has prepared users for a cloud world, whereby the user does not need to possess/manage all of the data locally," he said. "We think that the next off-shoot will be that future PC offerings will rely more on SSDs, not HDDs.

"So much of internal storage in PCs supports music, video and photo content. If iCloud serves as primary storage for this data, then PC's internal storage will not require as much capacity, particularly in notebook PCs."

I'll share with you one of my favorite quotes, which sums up how I feel about cloud storage of primary (rather than backup) data:

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window." --Steve Wozniak

I don't know when Woz said that and for all I know it's apocryphal, but I would not trust a computer I don't have control of with the only copy of something valuable.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    clocknovaclocknova Posts: 25member
    I've got almost 6 TB of music, movies, and television. I seriously doubt that moving all of that to the cloud is going to be practical, feasible, or affordable.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Quote:

Apple is not usually the first company to introduce a product or service, but takes its time to ensure it's better than the competition

Apple, You have had enough time. Where the hell is the mid sized mid range desktop Mac (not all in one) already?