Walmart offering Apple's 16GB iPhone 4 for $147 through June 30

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though a new iPhone is not expected to be announced this week, through the rest of June Walmart is offering the 16GB iPhone 4 for $147, or more than $50 off the usual $199 price, with a two-year contract.

The price reduction, which began on Monday, applies to both the AT&T and Verizon versions of the iPhone 4. The $147 on-contract price is also available for both the black and white models.

As usual, customers must buy a new two-year wireless and data agreement or qualified upgrade to obtain the subsidized pricing.

The deal was announced just hours before Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, a media event at which Apple usually unveils the next-generation iPhone. But numerous reports have indicated that Apple will not unveil a new iPhone at this year's event, with the fifth-generation handset due to arrive later this year.

The length of the Walmart sale, which goes through June 30, could be seen as even further evidence that Apple has no plans to announce a new iPhone at the WWDC keynote. Typically a new iPhone model is available for purchase in the U.S. within a few weeks of its announcement, and the previous-generation model becomes available at a lower price point.

Discounts beyond the standard pricing for the iPhone are rare, but not unheard of. Late last year, Radio Shack cut iPhone prices by $50 in a sale that left stores nationwide sold out.

Walmart, the largest retail chain the U.S., first began selling the iPhone 3G in some stores in 2008. It has been a close partner of Apple ever since, selling the iPhone 4 at launch last June, and gaining the iPad late last year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Actually, I have not been able to find any iPhones at any Wal-Marts here in north-central West Virginia for quite a while, maybe the last 18 - 20 months? The same goes for the iPad. Most of the stores actually have an iPad display, but only have the first generation on display in the case, and have no inventory. When I have asked questions to someone working at these stores, they say that they "don't know". I'm not sure if it is something that is just confined to West Virginia, or is something that is common at other stores as well. Wal-mart does not seem to be interested in having these products available to customers anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The length of the Walmart sale, which goes through June 30, could be seen as even further evidence that Apple has no plans to announce a new iPhone at the WWDC keynote.[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

Why? Apple could just as well announce a new iPhone at this WWDC, due out 'ending June'. Makes sense for this Walmart sale, and rumors? Only Apple knows for sure, so why not simply wait instead of writing another maybe/rumor/what have you...

And yes, I might be totally wrong. We'll see in just a moment. Or not. If they do not announce a new iPhone at this WWDC event, it doesn't mean they won't release a new iPhone this month. They could announce it later this week. Or this month. No one knows for sure. But that's what rumor sites are for, I guess.

Cheers,

Phil
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Wouldn't this *fuel* rumors of a new iPhone sooner than later?

- ATT sold out of black iphone4s

- Walmart depleting their inventories

- Case manufacturers wouldn't need new specs if the hardware on the outside stays the same- which is the biggest argument that analysts are using for the fall prediction.

I'm still happy with my 4 n couldnt care less of upgrading as LTE is still not where I am and the 4 does everything I need. But I think the assumption is all wrong by the article n
  • Reply 4 of 16
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Apple can't be too happy about this.....
  • Reply 5 of 16
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'm not following? Are you suggesting it's lower than what Wal-Mart is contractually allowed to sell the iPhone for.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple doesn't care, as long as Wal-Mart doesn't go below a pre-determined contractual price. Once the phone is sold, Apple gets the same amount of money regardless. Wal-Mart is taking the $50 hit, not Apple, and it means more people with an iPhone potentially. Seems fine to me.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    The following is just slightly off topic, but I just wanted to share. Unfortunately, I couldn't wait any longer for the next iteration of the iPhone and have taken the plunge and moved to At&t to get iphones. 2 of my 4 phones just crapped out and I saw no value in spending the same amount of money for phones I didn't want especially considering the uncertainty of my beloved T-Mobile getting the iphone before they're bought out. But, so far so good the transition has been smooth and the At&t sales rep was great. Hope this is reflective of the rest of the company and my experience going forward. Time will tell.

Kudos to Walmart for offering the discounts, the iPhone 4 is a great device. People who get one should be very pleased-I know I am
  • Reply 8 of 16
    The following is very off topic…

I know many of you are like me, buying a new iPhone each year. This is the first time we've gone over a year between iPhone releases. Meaning you only have until June 24th to secure an extended warranty that could save you whilst waiting for the next iteration and likely garnish you a higher asking price if you choose to sell it.

The prices seem pretty standard at $69 but if you have found a lower price from a trusted store I'd like to know.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    lalaruzalalaruza Posts: 36member
    I just called 4 walmarts in the Chandler AZ area (phoenix metro), none had any in stock...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Gee, I posted here 2 months ago that since Apple didn't have a new iPhone to introduce at WWDC, 'I'll bet there's some special pricing/sale that will come out about the time of the WWDC'. A nice price for what has become a dated phone with the next iPhone (5th generation) not coming until fall.

That should get Apple a bunch of sales that they wouldn't have had this summer!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    aniloanilo Posts: 7member
    Even if no new iPhone is announced today, I still expect a similar price reduction for the iPhone 4 US wide. That would also explain the Walmart move and clean the channel for a big September introduction of the "iPhone 5".
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalaruza View Post

I just called 4 walmarts in the Chandler AZ area (phoenix metro), none had any in stock...

I'd be curious to know how many of them have had any in stock during the last 18 months or so.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilo View Post

Even if no new iPhone is announced today, I still expect a similar price reduction for the iPhone 4 US wide. That would also explain the Walmart move and clean the channel for a big September introduction of the "iPhone 5".

I don't think Wal-Mart's price drop is coincidental, but I do have doubts it forecasts a drop of the iPhone from Apple. Still, it's an interesting thought and does make a lot of sense to do it at the one year mark if sales are dropping for the iPhone 4, and if cost reductions and market changes are going to cause a drop for the next iPhone in September.

PS: One more post and you can change your name from anilo to annum.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    clean the channel???

so far not one post says they can FIND an iphone from walmart, the channel

may be clean NOW

ATT hidding the iphone, some say you can't find it on the website,

where are the iPhones??? strange that walmart would make a big fuss but not have any stock....

so....no stock to sell till september??? how does that help apple, unless, walmart won't get the iP5

hmmmmm

its sounds more like a way to introduce a new phone

my apple store app will be kept on "speed dial"

i can't wait to get a new ip5

if indeed there will be a wait till "fall" maybe its true that it will more than a speed bump
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

clean the channel???

so far not one post says they can FIND an iphone from walmart, the channel

may be clean NOW

ATT hidding the iphone, some say you can't find it on the website,

where are the iPhones??? strange that walmart would make a big fuss but not have any stock....

so....no stock to sell till september??? how does that help apple, unless, walmart won't get the iP5

hmmmmm

if indeed there will be a wait till "fall" maybe its true that it will more than a speed bump

Picked up two today from Walmart. Black & a white one. They only had three total in the inventory.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mfterkamfterka Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

clean the channel???

Tell me about it. I got my 3G 2 years ago when I renewed my contract and am totally hooked. Now my contract expires luckily enough June 18 which positions me favourably for the iPhone 5 (or whatever it winds up being called) release.

Going from the 3G to the i5 will probably feel like going from a Model T to a Porsche