• Reply 21 of 155
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except it works on PCs...

kind of a moot point if the whole iOS 5 upgrade is about being "PC-less"
  • Reply 22 of 155
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Now that's how a cloud service should be implemented.

Beautiful!
  • Reply 23 of 155
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    This iCloud doesn't seem to be running Apple hardware:

unless those are very slim new Mac Pros. Perhaps an admission that Apple's presence in the cloud itself is at an end? With OS X Server now an addon, it seems destined to be used for things like home servers for which the Mini is ideal (when it gets updated).

Overall, some nice and long awaited features but I'm mostly not too fussy about cloud syncing. Transparent wireless local syncing is fine by me if it can do it via wifi-direct. Untethered updates and activation is great to hear. Now it just needs to be able to access large amounts of storage with a filesystem and it can make for a nice post-PC device.
  • Reply 24 of 155
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Futurists and prognosticators chime in...

iCloud service is free to start in order to get people hooked. Then bam...a year or two down the road it will no longer be free.

That's why they get paid millions and you have time to post on a message board during work hours Failure to think creatively.

It will not go from free to paid. The lock-in factor is FAR more valuable than any small amount of money that would earn them, plus as we all know (or I thought we did) you can't raise the price of anything digital.
  • Reply 25 of 155
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

So that copy of MobileMe I didn't activate that I got with my 1st-gen iPad on launch day...

...is now just a relic of a bygone age, then?

I have an extra MM I bought for a Soccer site -- still in original box -- save as collector's item -- along with PC/jr chiclet kb.
  • Reply 26 of 155
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Except it works on PCs...

And how would you plan to use it without buying an IPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

Anyway, how long will you be using a PC once you have your IPhone and iPad?
  • Reply 27 of 155
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If Steve is to be believed he said it is a new product with all new applications.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I wonder if iCloud is a new set of code or just the same junky MobileMe code inside iCloud.

Either way, it's backup, backup. backup, before letting Apple anywhere near my data.

If they've really got a good way of pushing data around then I'll be very happy and would consider an iPad or Air to add to the collection.

• Reply 28 of 155
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Futurists and prognosticators chime in...

iCloud service is free to start in order to get people hooked. Then bam...a year or two down the road it will no longer be free.

I suspect that, over time, Apple will add additional capacities and services -- and charge for those as warranted,

Realize, of course, that Apple is in business for their benefit -- not ours.
  • Reply 29 of 155
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I doubt that. I can see Apple integrating iAds in the mix.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

It will not go from free to paid.

• Reply 30 of 155
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    So what happens to current MobileMe subscribers access to iDisk? I use it quite frequently. Also I currently host my iWeb site on MobileMe. Is that still going to be supported in iCloud? Hopefully email Aliases aren't going away as I use those daily. So many questions!
  • Reply 31 of 155
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

"We're going to move the digital hub, the center of your digital life, into the cloud."

You will be moving the center of my life? I believe you should better focus on removing the money from my pocket. The center of life can wait.

Quote:

"Isn't that awesome?"

A technology all kinds of googles, dropboxes and evernotes have been around with for last 5 years. Oh yes, it is.

Hold on. I've got a small bit of the center of my life for you to get started on... I have a very good friend, who sends me everything as PDF files. No secrets, no business, just usual bullshit.

I receive his PDF. See where I'm coming from?

Would love to instantly have that PDF with me on all my devices! Now!
  • Reply 32 of 155
    If I heard Steve right and that they now consider Macs as just another device, then this won't work for me as it is limited to 10 devices.

My family of three has (under 1 iTunes account):

2 - iMacs

1 - Mac Mini

1 - MacBook Pro

3 - iPhone 4s

2 - Apple TVs

1 - iPad

3 - iPod Touch (one for each Car)

13 Devices. Am I doing this wrong somehow?
  • Reply 33 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I just renewed MobileMe and now it's free? Mother@#$%^*S

Looks like Apple is taking care of people until June 30 next year:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597
  • Reply 34 of 155
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Yes, then use the cash to buy someone that knows how to write sync code. ( Hello Mr. DropBox ).

I'm so tired of comments like this.

The *ONLY* reason DropBox is fast is because in most cases it doesn't actually have to sync or move data, it just gives you access to a file that's the same as the file you wanted to sync, not the actual file you wanted to sync. This is arguably a dangerous and poor practice overall for personal files.
  • Reply 35 of 155
    mr zippymr zippy Posts: 2member
    What about the other MobileMe services such as bookmarks & keychain syncing?

I would expect this to be mentioned on the iCloud page on apple.com - but it isn't.

Anyone got any ideas?
  • Reply 36 of 155
    xt500nxt500n Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

So what happens to current MobileMe subscribers access to iDisk? I use it quite frequently. Also I currently host my iWeb site on MobileMe. Is that still going to be supported in iCloud? Hopefully email Aliases aren't going away as I use those daily. So many questions!

exactly my questions too....

hope iweb isn`t going away too
  • Reply 37 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I am REALLY worried about this as well. Are there any developers in here who have a beta of Lion who can confirm the "iDisk" still in Finder's "Go" menu?
  • Reply 38 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Meh...

I would like to know why those of us that just renewed our MobileMe's in the past 2-3 months did it...

Apple, I would love to get an Apple Gift card for the difference!

That is exactly what I am thinking!! I renewed mine in March, and now this happens... WTH?

Edit: Just read the KB article pointed out by titomcgee, and while they have extended it, that doesn't exactly help those of us who paid for a Family Pack, and now only to be getting a free version of it in 3 months (there-abouts). I am just wondering what they are going to do for those customers.
  • Reply 39 of 155
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

Just read this when sync'd
  • Reply 40 of 155
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Big deal. I'm disappointed as It looks like mNy people R Jus look at the stock price dropping like a rock. Oh well