Apple announces iTunes Match music service for $24.99 per year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 172
    fritz88fritz88 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulAlford View Post

If you've got a serious hi-fi system you'll not play from the cloud on that. All my music is ripped to AIFF and I stream that through a DAC direct from my iMac. iCloud will be my on-the-go source.

I agree but I am so tired of companies not making Hi-Res downloads/streams ,whatever, available. At least as an option with higher cost. BTW i also play my music through a DAC (Naim).
  • Reply 42 of 172
    farnakifarnaki Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Mine just renewed too. I am hoping for about 4 years free.

Apple Support Note here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597
  • Reply 43 of 172
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BGPu View Post

So presumably, it was unnecessary for me to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading my previous iTunes purchases over the past 2 years. Now, for 25 bucks a year, I can upload any 128 kbps iTunes store purchase, and if it's matched, re-download it at 256 kbps.

That is a fundamental problem, how do you lower the price (or up the quality) without infuriating all those who paid the higher price in past?
  • Reply 44 of 172
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Who said anything about streaming? You can't believe everything you read on rumor sites.

The title of this thread (at the moment... hopefully the moderators will fix it to avoid misleading readers) calls it a streaming service.
  • Reply 45 of 172
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewfreemanrph View Post

I saw the number 20,000 songs. Will there be a limit? I have 3 TB of music on a 4 TB drive. My next option is a drobo. At $25 a year this is great.

Now if I could get all by bootlegs it would be fantastic. Those count for about 2 TB of that music.

What difference would it make, in practical terms you couldn't possibly listen to all that music in your lifetime even if you listened to music a couple of hours each day since you're likely adding music all the time so you'd never catch up.
  • Reply 46 of 172
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Looks good! Will this be free for those with almost a full year of MobileMe paid for?

Why would it be? This is a completely unrelated new service.
  • Reply 47 of 172
    I am left wondering where this leaves "legit" music not purchased through iTunes. I have a large portion of my music library that I purchased through Amazon MP3. Would I have to pay the annual fee to have this music sync through iCloud?

This could turn into an interesting argument if that's the case. I can picture Apple saying that limiting the service to iTunes-purchased music is a reasonable anti-piracy measure, and Amazon and others contending that it's anticompetitive by "forcing" users to re-purchase legitimate music through iTunes.
  • Reply 48 of 172
    bkcrowlbkcrowl Posts: 9member
    No online iTunes, bummer!!! But the rest is great!!
  • Reply 49 of 172
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    The snyc everything you have purchased to all authorized devices (up to 10) without needing to sync from one device to another is pretty cool - buy a track on iTunes - and moments later it is available on your computer - iPhone and iPad - etc. Of course I have a lot more on my computer than will fit on the iPhone (unless Apple is planning to release an iPhone with a ton more on board memory - or an SD card slot).

The extra $24.99 comes in if you want to both upgrade your existing collection to higher quality and upload any tracks that you have not purchased from the iTunes store in the first place.

As might have been hinted at here I wonder what happens when you stop paying that annual fee? do you lose access to all those tracks? what about the original lower quality track you had to begin with?

$24.99 a year is pretty cheap compared to what I pay for MobileMe today - so if I get to keep using everything that is MobileMe today (improved, enhanced, etc) and get upgraded music etc for $24.99 a year instead of $100+ that is an improvement.

I suppose they will have some sort of prefs of settings for whether or when to sync tracks or albums.

Now if they could just figure out a way to let me shuffle by album on my iPhone that would be cool.
  • Reply 50 of 172
    downpourdownpour Posts: 37member
    What is there to stop someone from renaming the same track 20,000 times with the names of all the music you would ever like to own... and getting all the real versions from Apple for a mere $24.99?

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that LOL.
  • Reply 51 of 172
    wattsupwattsup Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

And off-site backup for your files. How much would it cost you to pay Mozy, Backblaze, Carbonite to backup your media files?

Yes, that's true. But I already have backups of backups and even more backups on DVDs, external discs (multiple), for anything that I've payed for or which I want to keep indefinitely. And the iTunes match service isn't going to backup the gigabytes of video, movies, documents, and photos that I already have, so my music is only a small fraction of what I need for day-to-day storage.
  • Reply 52 of 172
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Ha - they even put a Google/Amazon comparison!
  • Reply 53 of 172
    benny-boybenny-boy Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewfreemanrph View Post

I saw the number 20,000 songs. Will there be a limit? I have 3 TB of music on a 4 TB drive. My next option is a drobo. At $25 a year this is great.

Now if I could get all by bootlegs it would be fantastic. Those count for about 2 TB of that music.

Imagine the trove of data they will get from these matchers. I have been resisting the whole genius thing because I'd rather not disclose all of this.

I take it metadata will not be required for identifying the song, probably from the tune itself.

BTW you'll love your DROBO
  • Reply 54 of 172
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wattsup View Post

Actually, other than the new iTunes match service for $25 all this adds for music is wireless sync, not really that much different than attaching your iOS device over USB to iTunes, other than the fact that USB will be much faster.

USB will be much slower if your iPhone and computer aren't in the same building.
  • Reply 55 of 172
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:

Unmatched content will be uploaded; upload time varies depending on amounts uploaded.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Interesting
  • Reply 56 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

isn't this also a way to make all the pirated music people have downloaded, become legit?

say i've downloaded a pirated CD

once i do itunes match, this ripped music becomes legit and i can access it on any device

The $150 million they gave to labels for licenses will be more than recouped by signing up 6 milling iMatchers. And Apple keeps the data on you!
  • Reply 57 of 172
    ortort Posts: 39member

This chart is a little shady...
  • Reply 58 of 172
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Downpour View Post

What is there to stop someone from renaming the same track 20,000 times with the names of all the music you would ever like to own... and getting all the real versions from Apple for a mere $24.99?

Good idea. Off to edit tags.
  • Reply 59 of 172
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:

Hmm... very interesting...
  • Reply 60 of 172
    Quote:

Perhaps you were being facetious, but this is probably driven by the song data, not the metadata.