Apple announces iTunes Match music service for $24.99 per year

Comments

• Reply 61 of 172
    wattsupwattsup Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

USB will be much slower if your iPhone and computer aren't in the same building.

Well, that depends upon how long your USB cable is.
  • Reply 62 of 172
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    This just seems totally insane to me. What's to stop someone from taking their pirated music collection (which may be low bitrate MP3s without artwork and maybe corrupt) and song matching, and then downloading the 256kbps AAC files?

For that matter, what's to stop someone from simply meta-tagging dummy files and then downloading the 256kbps AAC files that match?

After all the downloading is done and the library has been "legitimized", then unsubscribing from the yearly plan?

What am I missing here?
  • Reply 63 of 172
    benny-boybenny-boy Posts: 89member
    would love it if apple could sell apple lossless or AIFF.
  • Reply 64 of 172
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    I don't see the real benefit of this. I actually like to keep all my data in my own device and not a cloud that anyone will have access to it, by everyone I mean the government and of course, hackers who may also work for the government.
  • Reply 65 of 172
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Downpour View Post

What is there to stop someone from renaming the same track 20,000 times with the names of all the music you would ever like to own... and getting all the real versions from Apple for a mere $24.99?

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that LOL.

They can use not only metadata to match but audio match like many taggers do to match against musicbrainz
  • Reply 66 of 172
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

This just seems totally insane to me. What's to stop someone from taking their pirated music collection (which may be low bitrate MP3s without artwork and maybe corrupt) and song matching, and then downloading the 256kbps AAC files?

For that matter, what's to stop someone from simply meta-tagging dummy files and then downloading the 256kbps AAC files that match?

After all the downloading is done and the library has been "legitimized", then unsubscribing from the yearly plan?

What am I missing here?

Could use technology like Shazam
  • Reply 67 of 172
    The labels know this will be used to upgrade questionable song files, and they're obviously okay with it, so any of you folks still waxing so moral about "the music stealing" should think about that.

The labels probably know they'll never see any revenue from a consumer's old library of crappy 10-yr old napster downloads, so they're offering amnesty. Rather, Apple bought amnesty for their users to smooth out the performance of Apple's product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Or you can match it, download it and copy it, it has become "legit"

Exactly, I understood the subscription NOT to be "access to your matched content," but "access to the matching process."

So if one does have a few songs in their library from CD's they've lost, let's say, then one could sign up for one year of Match, and upgrade all their old mp3's to a "full legit itunes copy."

Is that right? Or are you paying for "access to the matched content?"
  • Reply 67 of 172
    grafgraf Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulAlford View Post

If you've got a serious hi-fi system you'll not play from the cloud on that. All my music is ripped to AIFF and I stream that through a DAC direct from my iMac. iCloud will be my on-the-go source.

Why AIFF? Is there a problem with Apple Lossless?
  • Reply 69 of 172
    Quote:

What am I missing here?

I'd imagine won't continue to sync, and MIGHT erase data on a slave (iTunes Match destination) device once subscriptions expires.

I wonder if your metadata from the original iTunes match source will be be preserved on destination clients.
  • Reply 70 of 172
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

That's a good question. Perhaps they think enough new songs come out every year that people will want to stick with it?

Another thing I noticed is that any previous purchases from iTunes can now be redownloaded over and over. That is new, people have complained for years that they can't redownload songs.
  • Reply 71 of 172
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I get that I can play my music on any device with this service. But I have a little trouble swallowing that I have to pay $24.99 a year to listen to music I've already purchased. Also, I also have a lot of music that is not on the iTunes store (I'm a musician...I've got everything from pop, to drum and bugle corps). I guess that's where the local storage comes in?

He said right on stage, that the music that isn't matched is uploaded. So all the stuff that is on iTunes will be matched and become legit (whether it originally was or not), all the rest gets uploaded and available to stream. If you ever quit the service, everything evaporates except what you stored locally.
  • Reply 72 of 172
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fritz88 View Post

Its a shame they dont have higher quality than 256 kbps. Thats to low quality if you have a serious hifi system...

Isn't that bit rate for synced devices in which you would most likely be away from your home audio system when you want to listen.
  • Reply 73 of 172
    wattsupwattsup Posts: 38member
    Quote:

What am I missing here?

Yes, it appears that if you have pirated copies that are relatively clean and complete then you'll be able to match and download new AAC versions from iTunes. However, I'm pretty sure it won't just match via metadata (title, artist, album, song length, etc.), it will likely scan the songs looking for a match to the actual content of the song. How close it will need to match is anyone's guess, I'd suspect that they would scan a random segment of the song, look at the length of the song (and maybe scan a very short section at the beginning and end), and then look at some of the metadata.
  • Reply 74 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graf View Post

Why AIFF? Is there a problem with Apple Lossless?

I've been looking into this lately. Recently talked to a high end audio guy about this. Apple Lossless and AIFF are equal in quality, thought AIFF is more prevalent and though there is no "standard" codec for audiophiles, I'm told. It was recommended that I rip in AIFF, though neither is wrong.

For those of you who haven't heard the difference between standard bitrates through typical DA converters (esp the crappy one in the Airport express) and the same track in a lossless codec through a NICE outboard DAC ($300-$2000, external equipment), check it out and ENJOY.
  • Reply 75 of 172
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

What am I missing here?

I am guessing, but I would imagine that you were not the first to think of that. I am sure they have a system in place to prevent that.
  • Reply 76 of 172
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Isn't that bit rate for synced devices in which you would most likely be away from your home audio system when you want to listen.

I believe it could be useful for AppleTV.
  • Reply 77 of 172
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

What am I missing here?

A moral compass?
  • Reply 78 of 172
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farnaki View Post

Apple Support Note here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

Thanks for that.

I wonder if, once you have your iTunes Library all matched in the cloud, you can sync a non-IOS iPod to the cloud version. This would be handy for me, because I have my main iTunes library of over 10,000 songs ripped as Apple Lossless. Even a 160GB iPod Classic doesn't hold everything, so I have been converting the Lossless tracks to 256kbs and syncing a playlist of the smaller format to my Classic. I would love for iTunes to just sync my iPod to the matched cloud version and then I could stop with the two version nonsense.
  • Reply 79 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I am guessing, but I would imagine that you were not the first to think of that. I am sure they have a system in place to prevent that.

There are other incentives to maintain the match subscription, though, like the ability to bring in content purchased elsewhere (amazon), or maybe the odd cd.
  • Reply 80 of 172
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

You look at it the wrong way. How about pay $25 a year and keep pirating music forever? They can't force you to buy on iTunes only after matching, can they? The only limitation, as far as I can see, is 25,000 songs.