Apple's iCloud will automatically store, sync data for free

Comments

• Reply 61 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have an extra MM I bought for a Soccer site -- still in original box -- save as collector's item -- along with PC/jr chiclet kb.

If you haven't yet used the code and have the receipt, you can get refunded.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

And how would you plan to use it without buying an IPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

By... syncing between computers that you have, too...

Quote:

Anyway, how long will you be using a PC once you have your IPhone and iPad?

Not me, and for millions and millions of people, plenty of time to forever. Not everyone wants a Mac.
  • Reply 62 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

Thanks for the link, but this is still shit!

Quote:

All they are doing is extending something for a year that people just paid $100.00 for that is now FREE. They can extend it for 10 years, so what, it is now FREE and folks just paid for it as recently as yesterday.

No, no they didn't.

Quote:

Also, I have a family pack with 4 @me.com address that have nothing to do with my account id for iTunes. How does that work?

You have over a year to figure it out.
  • Reply 63 of 155
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rollerborges View Post

Yes, it only backs up over WiFi.

Yes...but will it PLAY only over WiFi or will it play (stream) your music over 3G?
  • Reply 64 of 155
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Thanks for the link, but this is still shit! All they are doing is extending something for a year that people just paid $100.00 for that is now FREE. They can extend it for 10 years, so what, it is now FREE and folks just paid for it as recently as yesterday.

The support page is also not real clear with what happens to family pack members. I assume each one will convert their own @me.com address to an iCloud thingy while keeping thier @me.com address?

Also, I have a family pack with 4 @me.com address that have nothing to do with my account id for iTunes. How does that work?

Do I need to change the email/id to my Mobile Me email for iCloud to work?

Will they still be able to have different @me.com iCloud email addresses, but sync/ with my one iTunes account through iCloud?

Wait my head just exploded.

Well MobileMe is more than just email, calendar and contacts which is what is getting extended through June 30, 2012. Web Gallery, iWeb hosting, iDisk storage, the Backup app all are exclusive to MobileMe and seem to be going away. No word on if MobileMe email aliases are part of the free iCloud service.

Also no word on web access to mail, calendar, contacts, iDisk, etc. Will iCloud take away any web interface? Seems so.
  • Reply 65 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have an extra MM I bought for a Soccer site -- still in original box -- save as collector's item -- along with PC/jr chiclet kb.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you haven't yet used the code and have the receipt, you can get refunded.

Here are the instructions for getting a MobileMe refund: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4445
  • Reply 66 of 155
    mr_cazorpmr_cazorp Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yargok View Post

How does this iCloud work for those of us who share an AppleID within a family? For example, my wife and I share our iTunes app purchases, but don't want to sync our calendars and mail. Is it possible to divorce the two?

I also wonder about this. My wife and I share an iTunes acct for media and apps. Not sure I want all her cat pictures and not sure she wants all my iWork documents. I wonder if the iCloud apps can be individually linked to an Apple ID - that way you could use the App Store and iTunes together but iWork, iCal, etc., for your own stuff.
  • Reply 67 of 155
    madivanmadivan Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titomcgee View Post

Looks like Apple is taking care of people until June 30 next year:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

And the result of that, since my account auto renewed at the end of May, is a 1 day free extension. Will update if Apple agrees to any kind of refund.
  • Reply 68 of 155
    aleghartaleghart Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm so tired of comments like this.

The *ONLY* reason DropBox is fast is because in most cases it doesn't actually have to sync or move data, it just gives you access to a file that's the same as the file you wanted to sync, not the actual file you wanted to sync. This is arguably a dangerous and poor practice overall for personal files.

Not sure I follow the good Dr. Apple does _not_ know sync. I just told a client to stop using it while I found a better solution from DropBox and SpiderOak. MobileMe / iDisk works from a host name. So, start your iDisk sync, then re-boot the machine, and you CANNOT continue to sync. Errors because it thinks a sync is in progress from a machine with the same host name....and it sits for hours with no resolution.

1. if you can't survive a simple re-boot...

2. if you require a single specific drop folder, mandated by your own coders...

3. if your OS/GUI team hides the OS "disk" from users, but your sync team forces a "disk" object to be seen on the desktop...

...you are not a viable option for file synchronization
  • Reply 69 of 155
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aleghart View Post

A sad hack job on the photo.

?

it is simply Steve Jobs walking on stage with a giant picture of the Carolina data center being projected behind him... no hack.
  • Reply 70 of 155
    Must… resist… urge… to respond to new ass-in-the-pan posters that only signed up to make a derogatory comment on an event day.
  • Reply 71 of 155
    Quote:

Thanks for the link, but this is still shit! All they are doing is extending something for a year that people just paid $100.00 for that is now FREE. They can extend it for 10 years, so what, it is now FREE and folks just paid for it as recently as yesterday.

The support page is also not real clear with what happens to family pack members. I assume each one will convert their own @me.com address to an iCloud thingy while keeping thier @me.com address?

Do I need to change the email/id to my Mobile Me email for iCloud to work?

Will they still be able to have different @me.com iCloud email addresses, but sync/ with my one iTunes account through iCloud?

Wait my head just exploded.

no, you get mobile me for one year from today. icloud doesnt have an email service, only 5 GB storage instead of 20 GB and no iWeb/hosting. pretty fair i believe on Apple's part.
  • Reply 72 of 155
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titomcgee View Post

Looks like Apple is taking care of people until June 30 next year:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

It just says that if you had an active account today it was extended a year for free. What about people who just paid $100 for the same thing yesterday!?!
  • Reply 73 of 155
    I don't understand the complaining a sale previously agreed that people were happy about. Even ignoring the extended utility being offered the sale would have been completed and utilized before today. I understand that the iPhone 3GS is only $49 from AT&T yet I paid $199 out of pocket. I'm not beating down AT&T and Apple's door demanding the difference in return.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

It just says that if you had an active account today it was extended a year for free. What about people who just paid $100 for the same thing yesterday!?!

1) No one paid $100 at the MobileMe site yesterday.

2) Hasn't it been over a month since MobileMe signup has been stopped and sold, at least by Apple.

3) Apple offers returns with no restocking fees for HW so would it seems feasible to me that if you have a (MobileMe or .Mac) that was oddly purchased from a 3rd-party recently you'll get a refund. However, I know I bought and used .Mac serials long after MobileMe came about so they will have to sort about potential abuse hence my mention of "purchased recently."
  • Reply 74 of 155
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member
    Love this new iCloud and would use it but it will not work for people like me/us who have dial up and can not got hi speed internet or can afford hi-speed internet ...

I sure hope it does not replace iTunes as I like to burn CDs and make programs for my iPod Touch in iTunes...
  • Reply 75 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

No word on if MobileMe email aliases are part of the free iCloud service.

It seems like aliases are part of iCloud but you can't change them until then which is a bit rubbish

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4632
  • Reply 76 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

somebody has to get the short end of the stick.
  • Reply 77 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

Love this new iCloud and would use it but it will not work for people like me/us who have dial up and can not got hi speed internet or can afford hi-speed internet ...

I sure hope it does not replace iTunes as I like to burn CDs and make programs for my iPod Touch in iTunes...

you should be fine, as it doesn't sound like Apple is axing iTunes, simply adding more value.

SInce you probably aren't purchasing media from the iTunes store, your music collection and your usage will be unaffected.
  • Reply 78 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadIvan View Post

And the result of that, since my account auto renewed at the end of May, is a 1 day free extension. Will update when Apple has agreed to a refund.

Editing this post because I have appeared to make it unintentionally inflammatory:

So far I am not getting much from Apple support. They won't offer a refund without canceling the account. They won't offer a pro-rated refund between the renewal date and June 6th when the service effectively became free.

So here are what the options seem to be: cancel if it has been less than 45 days since you renewed, and get a full refund but lose the account. Alternately, you can cancel at any time for a partial refund, and lose the account. Other people who's accounts expire on that same date that you cancel get to keep them for free, so there you go. I don't know how much you will get back in that case. You can keep the account until iCloud is fully up and hope that the option for a partial refund is still available at that time.

I had a long explanation for why I am not satisfied with these options, but I am not going to post it since it is just my opinion. I will simply say this much: I knew that my renewal was coming up a week before the WWDC announcements and I trusted Apple to do the right thing. In my opinion they have not done the right thing and I am disappointed.
  • Reply 79 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

somebody has to get the short end of the stick.

At a minimum, they should offer a pro-rated refund. Perceived value is what matters to a company like Apple.
  • Reply 80 of 155
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    I jump the iDisk/Gallery/iWeb bandwagon - strange and not nice to provide any information on this to mobileme customers. Maybe AirDrop will become an iCloud extension next year? They surely need to provide some information soon, otherwise their mobileme chat will soon be cluttered with only these sort of questions ...