Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features

Comments

• Reply 61 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

And back to Apple again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tebruno99 View Post

Since Verizon iPhone4 is still on 4.2.7 missing tons of features like Home Sharing, are Verizon iPhone 4 users actually going to ever see this update? Or will they just get 4.3 when iOS 5 comes out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ds1985 View Post

If I were to pay the $99 to become an Apple developer would I get to download iOS5 early to my phone?

Enjoy paying for buggy software that everyone else gets for free without bugs.
  • Reply 62 of 226
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Interestingly, the focus has shifted from Netbooks to Tablets - Who's copying who?

Rhetorical question.

This is kind of a stupid point to make, and here's why: Show me where a computer with a mobile OS existed prior to tablets. Show me where cheap computers existed, doing only the most basic tasks people look for with computers prior to tablets. Netbooks used to be the closest thing, and that's why they sold as well as they did, and why we see many people buying tablets instead. It's what they wanted to begin with.

Believe it or not, netbooks are still an overkill for many many people, and it's THESE people that switch to tablets.

All tablets are doing are filling an even more pinpointed niche in the market. The shift from netbooks to tablets isn't a result of anyone copying anyone else, it's a result of manufacturers seeing that there's a market for people who think netbooks are an overkill, but still want a decide size device to do their basic tasks on.

It's like lawn mowers. If all that existed was riding lawn mowers with 8 gears, 60 inch blades, and cup holders, then lawn mowers came out with 4 gears, 42 inch blades, and no cup holders, what do you think people who need push mowers would buy? Tablets are the push mowers people wanted in the first place.
  • Reply 63 of 226
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

It is indeed amusing...After all, I'll be happy to give credit to the company that showed the world the now standard for multitouch:

Pierre Wellner and

Fingerworks(Which Apple purchased)

Maybe the history is bit longer and there is more projects prior Fingerworks. Check this link :http://bit.ly/iqRLMu (It is from the "father of multitouch").

I know Apple holds a patent to multitouch technology, but if this ever gets to the court, they have no chance the patent will be voided, this is just clear "prior art" case.
  • Reply 64 of 226
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Mac OS wasn't huge but iOS5 is going to rock. There are many things that where announced that will benefit my usage of iOS. For example the improved Mail app will allow for even more usage form my iPad. The camera app update is fantastic and deals with several things I don't like about the current one.

All in all I see iOS5 making my devices even more useful.

I actually thought the Lion and iCloud announcements were far more significant than a bunch of catch-up mobile announcements.
  • Reply 65 of 226
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seriously

• Reply 66 of 226
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's so much stuff that I have a feeling this was Jobs last time as ring master and his greatest Show on Earth.

I have the same feeling too! \ I already miss him

As for the notification update, ABSOLUTLEY love it! Finally, be gone with you dreadful annoying iOS4 popups. I really don't care if it was a direct import of Android's, this was badly needed and am so glad Apple did it.
  • Reply 67 of 226
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    iPhone 3GS included?! Yes!
  • Reply 68 of 226
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Users will also be able to access notifications from the lock screen, viewing text messages and listening to voicemails. Notifications can also be removed by hitting an 'X' to the right.

Can this be turned off?

Not every text message and e-mail is meant to be shown to the world whether you want it to be or not.
  • Reply 69 of 226
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

These are great changes, but the thing I wanted most---text reflow after pinch zoom in teh browser---is not included.

+1

Second to notifications, this is another major annoyance on iOS....though I guess the reader function is supposed to compensate for it.
  • Reply 70 of 226
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Yup, I switched and love the Android notifications. Good to see IoS got the same now, though I expect Apple fanbois who previously said Android notifications suck to jump and praise Apple to the hilt.:lol.

Quote:

And as to trolls, as much as you would consider Android fans to be trolls, the person who mentioned it is a troll himself then, no? I own Aapl stock, so then, Im an Android troll who gets the best of both worlds eh? Stop this troll talk BS, dont generalize.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to generalize.

At least we have object examples of straight up trolls. Which "iFanboys" were complaining about Android notifications again? Oh yeah, they weren't, it's just that you're' an asshole.
  • Reply 71 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Can this be turned off?

Not every text message and e-mail is meant to be shown to the world whether you want it to be or not.

Why are you showing other people your phone?
  • Reply 72 of 226
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Technical Patents are about implementations of ideas, not the idea itself.

Please remember that distinction.
  • Reply 73 of 226
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, we wouldn't want to generalize.

At least we have object examples of straight up trolls. Which "iFanboys" were complaining about Android notifications again? Oh yeah, they weren't, it's just that you're' an asshole.

lol. Before name calling, have the decency to read multiple websites. How about, A LOT of them do that. There was someone on this board in this thread who already said iOs's notifications are much more elegant. Go to Android sites, and see the fanbois out there. I know a lot of them do appreciate them, and I am assuming you are one. I have seen comments like "Apple's notification system is just 1,0, wait for the 2.0, it will be revolutionary and blow Android out of the water" etc etc. So before calling me an asshole, go and get outside your cocoon of reading only specific websites. I happen to read everything that interests me, so I see a lot more fanboism than you do. Im actually not offended, but laughing. Its hilarious.
  • Reply 74 of 226
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    forgot mention! TABS TABS TABS TABS in Safari on iOS5. I am so happy! so so happy!

I used to use other browsers but since the latest iOS4 with that speed increase they gave Safari I could no longer use those slower browsers and went back to Safari but missed my tabs so much. Although, they improved the constant refreshing in Safari it still is annoying to me. Oh GAWD please remove that stinking REFRESHing in Safari already. (crossing fingers for iOS5)

Ohh, and no tethering anymore is a godsend.
  • Reply 75 of 226
    Quote:

Why are you showing other people your phone?

A simple "Yes" or "No" will do.

Can I turn off notifications appearing on the lock screen?
  • Reply 76 of 226
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

lol. Before name calling, have the decency to read multiple websites. How about, A LOT of them do that. There was someone on this board in this thread who already said iOs's notifications are much more elegant. Go to Android sites, and see the fanbois out there. I know a lot of them do appreciate them, and I am assuming you are one. I have seen comments like "Apple's notification system is just 1,0, wait for the 2.0, it will be revolutionary and blow Android out of the water" etc etc. So before calling me an asshole, go and get outside your cocoon of reading only specific websites. I happen to read everything that interests me, so I see a lot more fanboism than you do. Im actually not offended, but laughing. Its hilarious.

Why would we read "multiple websites". On thus website almost every commentator has preferred webOS notifications to iOS for the last 2 years. Do a search.

And only the insane would troll the websites for the fans of devices they don't own after a huge announcement to point out the one tiny fix which may have been implemented on his system first.
  • Reply 77 of 226
    Quote:

How could I know that? No one has iOS 5 yet. And that was just deflection.
  • Reply 78 of 226
    Quote:

How could I know that? No one has iOS 5 yet. And that was just deflection.

So they didn't say you could turn them off in the keynote I take it.
  • Reply 79 of 226
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

There are 500 new features in Apples new iOS. Can you take your insane fan boi-ism to an Android forum? And let us discuss the new features of the device we own.

We'll do a deal when google have a conference, if they do, we won't post irrelevancies on Android forums. That would be nuts.
  • Reply 80 of 226
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

forgot mention! TABS TABS TABS TABS in Safari on iOS5. I am so happy! so so happy!

I used to use other browsers but since the latest iOS4 with that speed increase they gave Safari I could no longer use those slower browsers and went back to Safari but missed my tabs so much. Although, they improved the constant refreshing in Safari it still is annoying to me. Oh GAWD please remove that stinking REFRESHing in Safari already. (crossing fingers for iOS5)

Ohh, and no tethering anymore is a godsend.

Can't wait to test Safari out, which has been my biggest issue with the iPad since day one in April 2010.